SkyCouch strategy

Old Feb 16, 2020, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
SkyCouch strategy

Hi all,

First time Air New Zealand flyer with a strategy question.

Will be flying NRT-AKL December 18 with wife and three children (8,5,4). Business for everyone is too high and I agree with others that a few Sky Couches (currently thinking three) are better than 5 Premium Economy seats, especially for the little ones.

So, question is 1) any thoughts on current price just for the Y seat (900NZD each) - buy now or maybe get better and 2) should we book the Skycouch upgrade now (ranges from 400-1000NZD depending on 1 or 2 people), if you know what I mean). Book now at that price, wait to see if it'll drop some time after booking or try to do OneUp for it?

Thanks!
Tyler
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Making a dummy booking will not let me select 3 sky couches only gives option of two sky couches.
You may have to play around and book separately to do this? You would need 1 adult 1 child, 1 adult 1 child and then 1 child but not sure 1 child can get a whole sky couch. Perhaps call the call centre.

I would not leave it to a "one up" chance unless you are willing to risk it.

Best
Old Feb 17, 2020, 1:24 am

Children need an adult in the same block of seats.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
As mentioned you're one adult short, none of those childern at that age would be allowed to be in a skycouch row without an adult. I think the best you'd be able to do is 2 skycouches. Pricing would be unlikely to drop
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks for pointing out the logistical challenge and it also seems now is as good as any to pay the SkyCouch fee. Any strong feelings on the general economy price (900NZD) for a NRT-AKL Friday night just before Christmas?
Old Feb 17, 2020, 4:42 pm

The night before Xmas I doubt will be included in any sales as is a peak travel time.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:24 am

one way? sounds pretty good to me, I'd book it.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
2 sky couches and one 'extra' seat/ (ie probably across the aisle from the couches).

My thinking is that almost certainly someone is going to be feeling more awake and maybe want to have a movie or whatever, at any given time....

We had 2 adults and 2 kids (11m old and 3.5 year old) and flew SIN >> CHC (1 skycouch + 1 extra seat) and later on RAR >> LAX (2 skycouches). Obviously the latter experience is less relevant, but the earlier flight I had the baby with me in the single seat (sleeps ok in my arms) and my wife had the toddler and the single seat worked ok for me (albeit there was only me and one other dad doing something similar in that middle block of 3, so had room to spare).

So it would have been even more comfortable if I hadn't had a baby.

Just a thought.

FWIW we were blown away by how good air NZ economy was. We were on a mini round the world trip and had 4 longhaul flights in that (plus AKL - RAR). 2 LH with BA, 2 with Air NZ.

Genuinely impressed with what we experienced.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 12:57 pm

it won't offer this option. The maximum that you can do is 2 skycouches based on the OP pax (adult and children) numbers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.