Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Old Mar 6, 2020, 6:19 pm
  #91  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 6,183
Originally Posted by DCF
It was hard enough on NZ1/2.

Now if we want to fly to London we are going to have to change to United at LAX or SFO or ORD or EWR.

In the case of LAX it will involve reclaiming baggage, changing terminals and realistically it will require an overnight transit in both directions.

Nobody will do it.
Why do you have to fly United? NZ interline with AC, VS, LH, and I think BA and AF still which are all valid options that don't require terminal changes.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:11 pm
  #92  
DCF
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Programs: Etihad Guest
Posts: 1,549
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Why do you have to fly United? NZ interline with AC, VS, LH, and I think BA and AF still which are all valid options that don't require terminal changes.
Because I like my Star Alliance status and benefits.

If I fly VS I earn zero Status Points.

To get to the UK from the USA I have a choice between United or United.
DCF is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:41 pm
  #93  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 6,183
Originally Posted by DCF
Because I like my Star Alliance status and benefits.

If I fly VS I earn zero Status Points.

To get to the UK from the USA I have a choice between United or United.
If your sole focus is SP then yes you get none, but if you have Airpoints status you get baggage and lounge benefits on VS which I'd take any day over UA.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:41 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Programs: NZ*E
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by DCF
I stand by my earlier comments.

Singapore and Hong Kong are now transit ports which lead to self-quarantine.

Most of the recent Australian cases involve passengers returning from Iran on the ME3.

So suddenly for passengers Emirates, Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific are the problem, not the solution. Unless they fancy two weeks self-quarantine after their overseas trip.

So it turns out that Air NZs London route gave it a diversified portfolio and some protection against exactly what is happening.

But of course selling that LHR slot pair raised NZ$40 million, which I hope will not have been an incentive in terms of executive bonuses.

The airline has put all its eggs in a Pacific Rim basket when the Pacific Rim is periodically going to be the problem, not the solution.

Not sure what you mean by HKG and SIN are transit ports that lead to self-quarantine?
I think there might be some mis-understanding? Apart from Italy, Taiwan, South Korea, Jordan and Israel, I do not think that it is an issue for transiting passengers? Even travelers from Hong Kong can enter the country via HKG today as we speak with no issues, so unless the person was from mainland China, then it is a different story.
At most, added to the list could be Thailand and Japan - but yet, if it was NZ, it has direct services to TPE, NRT, ICN (suspended from tomorrow, 8 March). SIN is still the most suitable place to transit to India, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. As you know there are no direct services to India and Vietnam, MH is definitely operating for KUL and TG is operating BKK.
If people and government are doing their part, NZ would not have made 100+ people who were in close contacts with those who have been confirmed.
And also looking at the number of confirmed cases in SIN and HKG, less than 150.... which is really safe given their population and how crowded these places are
Not trying to have an argument here but like to get the facts straight. Just FYI, Hong Kong is not deemed or seen as 'mainland China' in this for a lot of countries - so does Macau and Taiwan.
Both ports are good for transit/connection to Europe but if one looks at EK and QR - they have also carried passengers confirmed for the virus. It will be a matter of time to review connections via DXB and DOH and it would be interesting for NZers to get to anywhere? I see you have included EK in this list but there is currently nothing that stops people from transiting via these ports.
At times like these - crazy times - one just need to evaluate the need to travel - even to places that does not require a change of planes can be risky.

If situation change on HKG and SIN, then what you have put through may be correct depending on what the official word is, but I am afraid it is not at the moment.
mmonster is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:34 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: AKL
Posts: 446
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
I am also going to fly business class exclusively and sit near the front of the planes. It is probably only a minimal advantage, but if it's 2-3 rows either side in economy that are the "danger zone" then sitting in the front without anyone on that side just helps minimise your virus footprint at the very least.
I'm considering taking the unprecedented step of refraining from using the corner of my boarding pass as a toothpick on upcoming flights.
mad_atta and freemark like this.
ps107 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:47 pm
  #96  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 10,293
Thai authorities have been vacillating over visitors from Singapore needing 14 days or not. Its a complete shambles with very different statements coming our from various Thai government departments. Some on the Thai board wont now risk a business a trip they get stuck for 2 weeks.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:17 pm
  #97  
DCF
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Belgrade, Serbia
Programs: Etihad Guest
Posts: 1,549
Originally Posted by mmonster
Not sure what you mean by HKG and SIN are transit ports that lead to self-quarantine?
I think there might be some mis-understanding? Apart from Italy, Taiwan, South Korea, Jordan and Israel, I do not think that it is an issue for transiting passengers? Even travelers from Hong Kong can enter the country via HKG today as we speak with no issues, so unless the person was from mainland China, then it is a different story.
At most, added to the list could be Thailand and Japan - but yet, if it was NZ, it has direct services to TPE, NRT, ICN (suspended from tomorrow, 8 March). SIN is still the most suitable place to transit to India, Vietnam, Malaysia and Thailand. As you know there are no direct services to India and Vietnam, MH is definitely operating for KUL and TG is operating BKK.
If people and government are doing their part, NZ would not have made 100+ people who were in close contacts with those who have been confirmed.
And also looking at the number of confirmed cases in SIN and HKG, less than 150.... which is really safe given their population and how crowded these places are
Not trying to have an argument here but like to get the facts straight. Just FYI, Hong Kong is not deemed or seen as 'mainland China' in this for a lot of countries - so does Macau and Taiwan.
Both ports are good for transit/connection to Europe but if one looks at EK and QR - they have also carried passengers confirmed for the virus. It will be a matter of time to review connections via DXB and DOH and it would be interesting for NZers to get to anywhere? I see you have included EK in this list but there is currently nothing that stops people from transiting via these ports.
At times like these - crazy times - one just need to evaluate the need to travel - even to places that does not require a change of planes can be risky.

If situation change on HKG and SIN, then what you have put through may be correct depending on what the official word is, but I am afraid it is not at the moment.
Im limited with what I can post because of where my information comes from, but there are clearly identified cases in which people have caught the virus on flights from Singapore to their home, when Singapore was only a transit point. Consequently passengers on those flights are subject to 14 days self-quarantine. There are actually 10,000 Australians currently under such measures.

Singapore and Hong Kong have made enormously positive steps to try to contain this, but when you look at the Aussie cases for the last fortnight the source has been flights back from Asian and Middle Eastern hub airports, not travel from Wuhan.

I regularly fly through Singapore, but I wouldnt even consider flying through any Asian or ME hub at present.

Mind you, Id love to know whether the NZ 77E which flew into Wuhan had a proper deep clean afterwards. Its only the Diamond Princess and Italian experiences which are providing us with clear and accurate virus information, but we already know that the virus can survive long periods on hard surfaces, so that plane should have been removed from service for a week to have every surface drowned in disinfectant, every tray table removed and disinfected, every seatbelt removed and disinfected, etc etc. Lets hope all those things were done.
DCF is offline  
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:59 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Zealand (when I'm home!)
Programs: Air NZ Elite
Posts: 1,218
Originally Posted by ps107
I'm considering taking the unprecedented step of refraining from using the corner of my boarding pass as a toothpick on upcoming flights.
Haha, no, I get it, it's a small thing. Mock if you like, but honestly, I have some pretty important talks I have to get to, so even when I am off the plane I will be extremely careful and change my overall travel habits. Not because I think I am going to die, but because I would like entry into the convention hall to give my talks, and I take that opportunity seriously! Some things are more important than rolling the dice of chance over, no matter how good the odds.
kiwifrequentflyer is offline  
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:11 am
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 646
As a matter of habit, I've carried hand sanitizers (approx 20-30ml) on my carry on for years.

Never had problems with security bringing them on planes except PEK departure . Always gets picked up by PEK x-ray and confiscated.

Wonder if PEK still has issues with hand sanitizers considering what is going on in China.
poopbunny is offline  
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:23 am
  #100  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 6,183
Originally Posted by DCF

Mind you, Id love to know whether the NZ 77E which flew into Wuhan had a proper deep clean afterwards. Its only the Diamond Princess and Italian experiences which are providing us with clear and accurate virus information, but we already know that the virus can survive long periods on hard surfaces, so that plane should have been removed from service for a week to have every surface drowned in disinfectant, every tray table removed and disinfected, every seatbelt removed and disinfected, etc etc. Lets hope all those things were done.
It went through a standard deep clean and was back in service the following day.
sbiddle is online now  
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:04 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: New Zealand (when I'm home!)
Programs: Air NZ Elite
Posts: 1,218
I don't even think anyone who was on that flight showed symptoms or was diagnosed with the virus.
kiwifrequentflyer is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:22 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Posts: 691
Anyone have any sense of whethef forward bookings are dropping. We have non refundable business class flights to Vancouver mid may and are wondering what is the likelihood of them being cancelled.
wtcmor is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:40 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Anyone have any sense of whethef forward bookings are dropping. We have non refundable business class flights to Vancouver mid may and are wondering what is the likelihood of them being cancelled.
If AirNZ cancels you will get refund.

They have adjusted Asian and Samoa flights but nothing yet for the Americas
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/trav...KAXFfu1atRl3K7
nzkarit is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:33 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Brisbane
Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Posts: 691
Understand that. It is more if tour is cancelled then flights are no longer required. Hence would be helpful to know what forward loadings look like.
wtcmor is offline  
Old Mar 8, 2020, 4:13 am
  #105  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Posts: 3,637
With the way Trump is handling the COVID-19 crisis, I have grave concern that the US would become the next country with out of control spread. We have already seen Washington state closing schools and new cases being reported by the hundreds daily. Soon the discussion about going to LHR via East vs West could be a moot point.
Xiaotung is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.