Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Old Sep 12, 2020, 10:22 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Exactly.... I flew Wellington to Christchurch rtn several times during L3 first time around, on the the Q300 with both Pilots older Captains (presumed First Officers were first onto forced leave) - the two things that surprised me was usual water and cookie (although to be fair the attendant dropped it into your hand from a height and the fact every flight had their own engineer on board as the flight originated and ended in Nelson and none of the stops had engineers at work if anything went wrong and needed fixing or signing off. But we did get cookies and lollies..... alas no more even at L2
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:07 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I flew AKL-WLG-AKL during the first level 2 on NZ, and it business as usual when it came to food and drink (New Zealand had more active Covid in the community than we do now too).
No at level 2 there was no service. The first time around level 2 was fairly brief.

Tea, coffee and cookie only came after back into level 1. Koru hour was added later.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Seems that even though level 2 staying "works deluxe" is no more. Christchurch Auckland fares for this week seems to have dropped by 50 percent. If any of you have flexis booked you might save by rebooking and refunding
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, QF Gold, Accor+ Diamond
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Seems that even though level 2 staying "works deluxe" is no more. Christchurch Auckland fares for this week seems to have dropped by 50 percent. If any of you have flexis booked you might save by rebooking and refunding
And for all domestic flights until 31 March 2021 you can now opt in for a credit or change the time or date without paying a fee (only any fare difference). I've always wondered about how many sick people with unrefundable fares would fly anyway rather than lose their money, so this will help people to do the right thing. But there's less value in booking Flexidate now so I'll probably rebook some of mine to Seat Only (my pre-COVID approach).
Kiwi Flyer and Beano like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 8:35 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Seems to be an good afternoon for NZ, they have just launched an domestic sale with fares starting at $39 (travel from end of Sept20)
Old Sep 13, 2020, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to be an good afternoon for NZ, they have just launched an domestic sale with fares starting at $39 (travel from end of Sept20)
NZ Covid-19 coronavirus: Air NZ unveils cheap flights as physical distancing lifted for planes, public transport
JQ Airfare bonanza: Jetstar returns, 160,000 Air New Zealand fares under $50 with removal of physical distancing
Old Sep 19, 2020, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
But that's only for Y since domestically there isn't a J product alas
Old Sep 19, 2020, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
But that's only for Y since domestically there isn't a J product alas
What do people expect from a domestic J product? Given the length of the domestic flights what are you going to get?

Given the price of a year of Koru wouldn't it be cheaper to buy that and get a meal before flight and more leg room?

Works deluxe with a neighbour free might be nice.

Is there even enough ovens on the domestic A320s to offer a meal service? Isn't there only an oven in forward to heat pilot meals?

Are you also going to move to five cabin crew like QF does on their 738s. Most of their capital city routes would be longer than the longest domestic flights in NZ.
Old Sep 19, 2020, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit
What do people expect from a domestic J product? Given the length of the domestic flights what are you going to get?

Given the price of a year of Koru wouldn't it be cheaper to buy that and get a meal before flight and more leg room?

Works deluxe with a neighbour free might be nice.

Is there even enough ovens on the domestic A320s to offer a meal service? Isn't there only an oven in forward to heat pilot meals?

Are you also going to move to five cabin crew like QF does on their 738s. Most of their capital city routes would be longer than the longest domestic flights in NZ.
Id SYD-BNE a couple of times last year in J on VA (part of the AKL-SYD-BNE double the status points for the same price).

Its amazing what level of service can be do in such an sort period of time. Some of the flights were only in the air for 50minuted but still got an full hot meal, along with cheese/crackers and desert. The meal was allot better than what you would get in the lounge.

The ovens on NZs A320(Domestic) would be fine to todo 8-12 J meals on. On the Tasman an oven that size has to do almost half an Y cabin worth of meals.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Domestic J on TG also manages to crack out a reasonable service with plated meal, drinks and cheese/crackers. No alcohol however.

Route distances similar to AKL-CHC at around 500-600km.

Of course that was pre-COVID. The domestic service model might well change.
Old Sep 29, 2020, 2:19 am

AirNZ has drawn $110 million from the loan.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/business/...overnment-loan
Old Oct 1, 2020, 10:22 pm

Were free, sort of for now.
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/trave...w-zealand.html

NSW/NT to allow travel form New Zealand by 16 October 2020. Although still only one way, you wont really be welcomed home.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:57 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Is there a potential flaw in the system that PAX may transit through AKL onto SYD and potentially pass on the virus onboard? I.e., someone coming from a Covid hotspot like LAX, transiting in AKL and then sharing a flight to SYD with travellers from New Zealand?
Old Oct 2, 2020, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox
Is there a potential flaw in the system that PAX may transit through AKL onto SYD and potentially pass on the virus onboard? I.e., someone coming from a Covid hotspot like LAX, transiting in AKL and then sharing a flight to SYD with travellers from New Zealand?
AKL has split the terminal into two zones, eg one for bubble passengers and one for non bubble passengers.

One would assume that NZ will be required to operate to sets of flights to SYD, one for transit passengers and one for passengers from New Zealand.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.