Wider impact of Covid-19 on Air NZ

Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:43 pm
  #31  
Moderator, Hilton Honors
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: on a short leash
Programs: some
Posts: 71,423
ICN flights suspended until at least end of June 2019.
Kiwi Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:02 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NZ
Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Posts: 609
Does anyone else feel there is an element of opportunism here?

If a response to a plummeting demand then completely reasonable, but it is premature from a public health perspective which is how their press release reads.

Shortage of planes....... shortage essentially resolved now.

or is this unkind to Air NZ?
bce1 is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:19 am
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by bce1
Does anyone else feel there is an element of opportunism here?

If a response to a plummeting demand then completely reasonable, but it is premature from a public health perspective which is how their press release reads.

Shortage of planes....... shortage essentially resolved now.

or is this unkind to Air NZ?
AirNZ will know what the load factors are, they will know the break even point and if no flights are going to break even for some months better to not fly. Also less disruptive to the people going to fly in that time period the sooner you can tell them there is a cancellation.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Feb 25, 2020, 2:30 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by bce1
Does anyone else feel there is an element of opportunism here?

If a response to a plummeting demand then completely reasonable, but it is premature from a public health perspective which is how their press release reads.

Shortage of planes....... shortage essentially resolved now.

or is this unkind to Air NZ?
The press release doesn't say that the suspension is for public health reasons. It says that it's due to the impact of COVID-19. Very low demand is one of the impacts of COVID-19.
bobbytables is offline  
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:42 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: MSP
Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Posts: 1,778
After only banning travel to mainland China, weve just had a global travel ban implemented until April with a review then. At 100+ return flights have had to be cancelled and most of them in J. So only going to get worse for the airlines.

Wonder if theyll do something nice like extend status by a certain amount of months for everyone who cant travel?
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Feb 27, 2020, 10:16 am
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
After only banning travel to mainland China, weve just had a global travel ban implemented until April with a review then. At 100+ return flights have had to be cancelled and most of them in J. So only going to get worse for the airlines.

Wonder if theyll do something nice like extend status by a certain amount of months for everyone who cant travel?
I'm picking a lot of people will be doing soft landings this year.

The really danger for airlines is when business realise what meetings etc can be done remotely and don't require flying people in the future. Covid-19 Forcing businesses to give more video conferencing a go is a big risk to airlines and hotels.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Feb 27, 2020, 3:26 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Wonder if theyll do something nice like extend status by a certain amount of months for everyone who cant travel?
I remember reading a post here that NZ thought there were too many Elites or something, so maybe they will get their wish.
Of course that comes with a multi million dollar profit downgrade. Guess can't have it all.

QF did a Double Status promotion recently.
poopbunny is offline  
Old Feb 27, 2020, 7:45 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,514
Air NZ won't do anything to help their elites retain status, you can guarantee that
Rebound is online now  
Old Feb 27, 2020, 9:04 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Wonder if theyll do something nice like extend status by a certain amount of months for everyone who cant travel?
Cathay Pacific = automatic bonus points
Singapore Air = 1 year extension

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...d-elite-status
poopbunny is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 1:36 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ *G, AS 75K
Posts: 57
No international travel policy implemented at our work, unless tickets were already booked, in which case we can continue on the journey as long as it isn't to Korea, Iran, or China.

My recent flights to Japan and Vancouver were a emptier than I expected, Skycouch upgrades for $100 with gold uplift.

I think worse is yet to come - felt like the only people flying were business travellers returning home and family with deep discount economy tickets booked a long time ago.
nzjay is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:16 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Posts: 1,465
TT seat sale announced today, presumably to encourage some travel between two (so far) low risk areas - https://www.9news.com.au/world/air-n...0-f630348d3c55
RTWFF is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 5:28 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,422
Originally Posted by RTWFF
TT seat sale announced today, presumably to encourage some travel between two (so far) low risk areas - https://www.9news.com.au/world/air-n...0-f630348d3c55
Its the same sale that was launched ex-New Zealand yesterday, just the fares on the ex-Australia are higher due the taxes ex-MEL/SYD/BNE

NZ is doing $69NZD for AKL-MEL!
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:16 pm
  #43  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,327
Australian taxes

Originally Posted by RTWFF
TT seat sale announced today, presumably to encourage some travel between two (so far) low risk areas - https://www.9news.com.au/world/air-n...0-f630348d3c55
When the taxes are calculated I assume it would be "total cost of the running the airport/​​​border control divided by passengers
if the passengers fall would the authority increase the rate per passenger ?
Beano is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:22 pm
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,674
Originally Posted by Beano
When the taxes are calculated I assume it would be "total cost of the running the airport/​​​border control divided by passengers
if the passengers fall would the authority increase the rate per passenger ?
The border fees etc are charged per passenger.

The airport fees for landing, gate, etc are per flight and think they are included in ticket price as they aren't per person so can't be itemised.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Feb 28, 2020, 8:52 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: bne
Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by nzkarit
The border fees etc are charged per passenger.

The airport fees for landing, gate, etc are per flight and think they are included in ticket price as they aren't per person so can't be itemised.
What I mean is the falling passengers numbers may tempt the authorities to increase the rate per passenger (as the cost are pretty fixed)
They should decrease the charge per passenger to encourage more people to travel
Beano is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.