FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Is this ok? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2008727-ok.html)

bce1 Feb 11, 2020 10:07 pm

Is this ok?

Flight Napier to Auckland booked by one client.
Second client booked Auckland Christchurch. Same day in Auckland for 3 hours

Seperate PNRs.

one was 6 AP$ and 12 status points
one was 4.4 AP$ and 12 status points.

Air NZ have combined into one Napier to CHC flight with 4.4 AP$ and 12 status points.

can they do that (well they have so clearly can!)?

seperate bookings paid for on seperate credit cards.

smells to me?

i haven’t gone to war on this yet, curious what the wider view is

nzkarit Feb 11, 2020 10:12 pm

Fare buckets allocations change all the time and can change multiple times in a day especially for domestic flights.

What is fare class? What was the price paid for each ticket?

bce1 Feb 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Don’t have exact $$ - but from memory $250 ish to Auckland and $200 ish to Christchurch.

Both were booked weeks ago. It not about a same day booking . More the decision to merge two bookings and change the value.

bce1 Feb 11, 2020 10:18 pm

Sorry, should say this happened when flights credited not prior to flights or at time of booking.

sbiddle Feb 11, 2020 10:20 pm

2x flights on 2x PNR in the same direction on the same day always get merged into a journey. Always have and always will.

sbiddle Feb 11, 2020 11:03 pm

I don't believe NPE-AKL-CHC is a "valid" route so will fall under the same direction journey rule.

Explaining why this happens is complex and not something I'll post publically.

bce1 Feb 12, 2020 2:19 am

Very curious why If you fancy a PM Steve.

Still seems bizarre that two completely seperate bookings made by different people on different days end up merged.

LyingFlat Feb 12, 2020 3:01 am

This is also covered in the Airpoints terms and conditions:

12.1. Air New Zealand operated flights

Travel booked in booking classes N, X, I and R on Air NZ Operated Flights do not earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points. Travel booked in booking class F does not earn Airpoints Dollars but does earn Status Points.

Infant Tickets do not earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points.

Travel booked and paid for using Airpoints Dollars or another airline's frequent flyer points or loyalty programme points do not earn Airpoints Dollars or Status Points.

If your Journey is in more than one Booking Class (excluding Airpoints Upgrades), we will calculate Airpoints Dollars and Status Points for the entire Journey based on the Booking Class in which you travelled the greatest distance.

We will calculate the Airpoints Dollars and Status Points you earn on Air NZ Operated Flights for domestic and international Sectors using the Origin to Destination One-Way Journey and the Booking Class of travel for the Sector in which you have travelled the greatest distance (we will apply this earning rate to all Sectors of your Journey that are "Eligible Flights").

If you hold two or more Tickets for different Sectors of your Journey, we will still apply the same Origin to Destination One-Way Journey and earning rate calculations to all Sectors of your Journey (as set out above that are "Eligible Flights").

sbiddle Feb 12, 2020 3:10 am

I've had numerous instances of this happening when business rules convert individual same day sectors to a journey. The fact they were booked independently doesn't change anything - they had your Airpoints number linked which is all that matters.

You'd be very lucky if you found a NZ front line CSRs on the Premium team that nderstands why it happens so there is no point calling and discussing it with them.

I am curious if when this occurs whether it's classed as 1 or 2 flights for status boost.

bce1 Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks.
Clearly written in black and white. Still seems an odd process but I suppose ultimately no different to multi-stop.
It has accumulated two boosts - so that is interesting in itself.

LondonElite Feb 12, 2020 3:09 pm

I have to say, top thread title.

poopbunny Feb 13, 2020 12:04 am

Wonder how it will play out if one of the flights did not have your FF #,
which you retro claim later after the one that did, appears on your account.

akl_cat Feb 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 32066000)
Wonder how it will play out if one of the flights did not have your FF #,
which you retro claim later after the one that did, appears on your account.

Tried that before: BNE-AKL-LAX. BNE-AKL credited first as a stand alone flight. Then when AKL-LAX was claimed it updated that BNE-AKL entry to a BNE-LAX journey and only gave combined AP and SP for an Aus to NA earn rate.

They have some very smart people in departments that nickel and dime you I tell ya

poopbunny Feb 13, 2020 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by akl_cat (Post 32070030)
Tried that before: BNE-AKL-LAX. BNE-AKL credited first as a stand alone flight. Then when AKL-LAX was claimed it updated that BNE-AKL entry to a BNE-LAX journey and only gave combined AP and SP for an Aus to NA earn rate.

They have some very smart people in departments that nickel and dime you I tell ya

That's very different from QF.
Had a SYD - DXB flight with a cheaper SYD - MEL - DXB option (same PNR).
I took the cheaper option and even got extra points and Status Credits for SYD - MEL.
SYD - DXB earn was the same as MEL - DXB

akl_cat Feb 14, 2020 12:27 am

Originally Posted by poopbunny (Post 32070370)
That's very different from QF.
Had a SYD - DXB flight with a cheaper SYD - MEL - DXB option (same PNR).
I took the cheaper option and even got extra points and Status Credits for SYD - MEL.
SYD - DXB earn was the same as MEL - DXB

As far as I know NZ is the only airline that runs with this "journey-based crediting" system. Very unfair especially for regional fliers who are paying top dollars to fly from one region to another via a major hub. They only get AP and SP as if it's only one leg.