Search

procedure at IVC when flying IVC-AKL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
procedure at IVC when flying IVC-AKL

Quick question for the experts: What is the procedure at IVC when taking the 6a.m. IVC-AKL non-stop flight?

1) Is there a premium check-in counter?
2) Presumably there are up to 200 pax needing to go through a single (?) security checkpoint?
3) Presumably access to the Koru Club is from the land-side / non-secure area?

Any first-hand experience / advice on when to arrive as a *G with checked baggage would be appreciated!
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
IVC is an to tiny airport, being there an hour before hand is plenty of time. It has kiosks / bag drops etc.

The Lounge is pre security, it’s only the a320 flights to AKL that require security, so the lines aren’t to bad.
Jasper2009 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
IVC is an to tiny airport, being there an hour before hand is plenty of time. It has kiosks / bag drops etc.

The Lounge is pre security, it’s only the a320 flights to AKL that require security, so the lines aren’t to bad.
Thanks for the fast response!

I've flown into / out of IVC several times, but was just wondering how this rather small airport actually copes with the 5x/week IVC-AKL flight.

I was picturing up to 200 pax needing to clear a single(?) security checkpoint - even at 20 seconds per passenger, that could be rather nasty.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:38 am

There will be no issue with security. When Wellington had security at each gate with one queue, I don't remember an issue. Also I gate agent can see the one queue for the one flight.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 7:58 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
In my experience the bag screening is what takes the time (last time I flew they were x-raying the bags taking them one by one and the line to drop bags was growing longer by the minute, then compounded if there was anything that warranted a second look). Security tends to be a bit variable, but overall if you are prepared for it then it will happen quickly enough when you get your turn and you will then be corralled into the separate waiting area post security - there is a coffee outlet there and it is straight onto aircraft from the lounge area. Correct Koru Club is non secure so it is a case of drop bags, and head to lounge, then leave in time to get security screened ahead of boarding.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Thanks for the fast response!

I've flown into / out of IVC several times, but was just wondering how this rather small airport actually copes with the 5x/week IVC-AKL flight.

I was picturing up to 200 pax needing to clear a single(?) security checkpoint - even at 20 seconds per passenger, that could be rather nasty.
same as Dunedin - one checkpoint, it is all rather slow - but not nasty. Just go when called. I have easily spent longer at Auckland security screening.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Quick update:

The whole experience indeed was perfectly pleasant despite an almost full flight:

- very friendly and helpful check-in agents
- short queue (~5 pax) at baggage screening
- Koru Club apparently only opens at 5a.m., so only spent 20min in there; selection was rather mediocre and much worse than during my last visit (which was shortly after the lounge opened)
- went through security at ~5.20a.m. (scheduled boarding time 5.30a.m.) and it took me no more than 3min to get through security, very pleasant experience and much better than AKL at any time

The new non-stop IVC-AKL flight definitely makes it much, much easier to get to IVC. (Y)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.