Seat selection question

Old Jan 17, 20, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Seat selection question

I booked a flight NZ 2, NZ 1 in Economy. When I go to manage my booking it says that it costs $20 each way to select a Regular seat.

My question.. is this consistent with all Economy fare classes or does it apply to only some of them.
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:29 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I booked a flight NZ 2, NZ 1 in Economy. When I go to manage my booking it says that it costs $20 each way to select a Regular seat.

My question.. is this consistent with all Economy fare classes or does it apply to only some of them.
Applies to discounted fares:

https://www.airnewzealand.ca/seat-select
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:34 am
Original Poster

thanks, so does NZ allow seat selection 24 hour prior at web check in time? The text says a seat will be assigned to you but does not clarify if I will be able to change that seat selection at check in time.
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:41 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
thanks, so does NZ allow seat selection 24 hour prior at web check in time? The text says a seat will be assigned to you but does not clarify if I will be able to change that seat selection at check in time.
Looks free at Web checkin:

If you don't Seat Select in advance, your seat will be allocated to you at check-in. If you are travelling on a long haul journey, you can access a Standard Seat free of charge, if available, when online check-in opens 24 hours before your flight.
Old Jan 17, 20, 12:41 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Given the length of the flight and if within your budget, I would select a seat in advance so you know you will have a seat you are content with.
Thai-Kiwi likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by taupo View Post
Given the length of the flight and if within your budget, I would select a seat in advance so you know you will have a seat you are content with.
thanks, yeah... the cost isn't a problem per se, I would rather not pay it if I have a good chance of getting it for free at check in... but that is a chance of course. As you said $20 for 10 hours may be worth it.
Old Jan 17, 20, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

I paid the $40 and selected seats for both sectors LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX back since I did not want to chance sitting in the middle just in case.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 19, 20, 3:47 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand airpoints since 1992, currently *Silver, Koru Club
Forgive me for jumping in on this thread.

A friend of mine has just tried booking online flights SYD/RAR return - something she has done often in the past.

She tells me they are trying to charge $10 per seat selection - she assures me this is not for preferred seating.

That doesn't seem to tie in with the details earlier in this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Any replies on her behalf would be much appreciated.
Old Jan 19, 20, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by nzlilibet View Post

A friend of mine has just tried booking online flights SYD/RAR return - something she has done often in the past.

She tells me they are trying to charge $10 per seat selection - she assures me this is not for preferred seating.

That doesn't seem to tie in with the details earlier in this thread. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Unless you are Gold or Koru you have to pay for regular seat select. You can pay more for perffered or exit row.

Though at check-in you might be able to pick from the remaining seats for free
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:08 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzlilibet View Post

Did she purchase an Seat Only or Seat+Bag fare? these don't include seat selection.
Old Jan 19, 20, 5:56 pm

Thanks for the prompt replies.

cavemanz - that may well explain it. I'll ask her. I know she's never had to pay for seating before, whether travelling as a couple or with family, so it's just possible that this time she's booked seat or seat + bag. I'll ask her and report back.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:08 pm

I paid the $40 and selected seats for both sectors LAX-LHR and LHR-LAX back since I did not want to chance sitting in the middle just in case.
If you have the cash, I would recommend coughing up the additional $20 each way and purchasing the bulkhead seats in Economy. I only fly in Y, and it makes a world of difference, I've always paid for bulkhead/exit row since. Air NZ also lets you pay just the price difference, so the $40 you've paid already won't go to waste. The only downside is that you may have to risk getting bumped from a bassinet seat but it hasn't happened to me yet.
Old Jan 19, 20, 8:58 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by prelude View Post
If you have the cash, I would recommend coughing up the additional $20 each way and purchasing the bulkhead seats in Economy. I only fly in Y, and it makes a world of difference, I've always paid for bulkhead/exit row since. Air NZ also lets you pay just the price difference, so the $40 you've paid already won't go to waste. The only downside is that you may have to risk getting bumped from a bassinet seat but it hasn't happened to me yet.
NZ charges extra for bassinets... so the chance is pretty unlikely.
Old Jan 19, 20, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
NZ charges extra for bassinets... so the chance is pretty unlikely.
That is true, but if a passenger shows up with an infant and requests a bassinet, you're likely going to get bumped from the bulkhead seat.
Old Jan 22, 20, 12:03 pm

cavemanzk - you were absolutely right. My friend booked seat + bag - first time ever. She's now learned that you get what you pay for and that she'll also have to pay for food and other things, as well as seat selection.

I should have thought of that myself!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: