Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AKL Domestic Lounge Renovations

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
AKL Domestic Lounge Renovations

At the AKL main domestic lounge for the first time this year and about half the lounge is closed off for renovations. its closed off from about where the barista used to be I guess.

Dread to think what this will be like when its gets busy since it was a zoo anyway.

Anyone know whats going on and what they are doing? Are they enlarging it?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 5:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Does that mean the showers toward the back are unavailable? I was planning on using those at the end of next week.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Seems to be the case.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 7:23 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Full refurb due for completion towards the end of the year. Work started Mon 6th.

Back closed off first then they're apparently swapping ends. Only showers are the ones in the front bathrooms.
SeaProf likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:20 pm

For reference to come back to once complete, site currently says:
1346m²
350 seats
Old Jan 16, 2020, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Reduced capacity for nearly a year for only a 10% in creasing in capacity...hardly seems worth the effort?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
It’s never ending!
Then they will start on the refurbishment of the current international lounge after the new "Premium Lounge" @ 4,000 m2 on pier B is finished. In about a years time 👍

Last edited by kiwicyclo; Mar 4, 2020 at 3:35 pm Reason: Not confirmed it is a "Koru Lounge"
Old Jan 16, 2020, 11:54 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Reduced capacity for nearly a year for only a 10% in creasing in capacity...hardly seems worth the effort?
To be fair, they are waiting for the new domestic terminal - which AIAL has delayed until 2061 probably.
ps107 and eaglenz like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Rebound
To be fair, they are waiting for the new domestic terminal - which AIAL has delayed until 2061 probably.
You're pretty optimistic thinking it'll be built this century.
smeags_nz likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:47 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Rebound
Don’t see the new domestic terminal any time soon, they have just spent millions on that new regional lounge. Which would tend to say NZ is planning to be there for an while.

10-15 years seems to be the going life span of an NZ Lounge.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Don’t see the new domestic terminal any time soon, they have just spent millions on that new regional lounge. Which would tend to say NZ is planning to be there for an while.

10-15 years seems to be the going life span of an NZ Lounge.
Except AIAL still publically say construction will begin in 2022.

Their website still says completion by 2022 https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz/airport-of-the-future/building-the-future

We know that's all rubbish, but it definately won't be 15 years away.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
First visit since the refurb started. Off peak and with many people still on holidays. All seats taken, many standing or sitting on the floor. I'm guessing I won't be using the main lounge for peak hour flights - they were bad enough with the full lounge available. If only there was a reliable indicator of security queues so can usefully use the regional lounge instead.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:55 pm

Would be nice if AKL domestic had a gold track in security.
Trumpkin likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
First visit since the refurb started. Off peak and with many people still on holidays. All seats taken, many standing or sitting on the floor. I'm guessing I won't be using the main lounge for peak hour flights - they were bad enough with the full lounge available. If only there was a reliable indicator of security queues so can usefully use the regional lounge instead.
Unfortunately the new regional lounge is already at capacity during peak times without overflow from main lounge.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:38 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Very disappointing food offering in AKL Koru lounge tonight (I arrived about 19:50). Just "salads" and a lemon dessert!! No meat or fish. No hot food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.