FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   AKL Domestic Lounge Renovations (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/2004745-akl-domestic-lounge-renovations.html)

oranjemakker Jan 16, 2020 5:45 pm

AKL Domestic Lounge Renovations

At the AKL main domestic lounge for the first time this year and about half the lounge is closed off for renovations. its closed off from about where the barista used to be I guess.

Dread to think what this will be like when its gets busy since it was a zoo anyway.

Anyone know whats going on and what they are doing? Are they enlarging it?

SeaProf Jan 16, 2020 5:57 pm

Does that mean the showers toward the back are unavailable? I was planning on using those at the end of next week.

oranjemakker Jan 16, 2020 6:04 pm

Seems to be the case.

sbiddle Jan 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Full refurb due for completion towards the end of the year. Work started Mon 6th.

Back closed off first then they're apparently swapping ends. Only showers are the ones in the front bathrooms.

nzkarit Jan 16, 2020 8:20 pm

For reference to come back to once complete, site currently says:
1346m²
350 seats

oranjemakker Jan 16, 2020 8:56 pm

Reduced capacity for nearly a year for only a 10% in creasing in capacity...hardly seems worth the effort?

kiwicyclo Jan 16, 2020 10:02 pm

It’s never ending!
Then they will start on the refurbishment of the current international lounge after the new "Premium Lounge" @ 4,000 m2 on pier B is finished. In about a years time 👍

Rebound Jan 16, 2020 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker (Post 31960407)
Reduced capacity for nearly a year for only a 10% in creasing in capacity...hardly seems worth the effort?

To be fair, they are waiting for the new domestic terminal - which AIAL has delayed until 2061 probably.

sbiddle Jan 17, 2020 12:28 am

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31960780)
To be fair, they are waiting for the new domestic terminal - which AIAL has delayed until 2061 probably.

You're pretty optimistic thinking it'll be built this century.

cavemanzk Jan 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31960780)

Don’t see the new domestic terminal any time soon, they have just spent millions on that new regional lounge. Which would tend to say NZ is planning to be there for an while.

10-15 years seems to be the going life span of an NZ Lounge.

sbiddle Jan 18, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk (Post 31967343)
Don’t see the new domestic terminal any time soon, they have just spent millions on that new regional lounge. Which would tend to say NZ is planning to be there for an while.

10-15 years seems to be the going life span of an NZ Lounge.

Except AIAL still publically say construction will begin in 2022.

Their website still says completion by 2022 https://corporate.aucklandairport.co.nz/airport-of-the-future/building-the-future

We know that's all rubbish, but it definately won't be 15 years away.

Kiwi Flyer Jan 19, 2020 12:39 pm

First visit since the refurb started. Off peak and with many people still on holidays. All seats taken, many standing or sitting on the floor. I'm guessing I won't be using the main lounge for peak hour flights - they were bad enough with the full lounge available. If only there was a reliable indicator of security queues so can usefully use the regional lounge instead.

nzkarit Jan 19, 2020 12:55 pm

Would be nice if AKL domestic had a gold track in security.

WLGNZ Jan 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer (Post 31969921)
First visit since the refurb started. Off peak and with many people still on holidays. All seats taken, many standing or sitting on the floor. I'm guessing I won't be using the main lounge for peak hour flights - they were bad enough with the full lounge available. If only there was a reliable indicator of security queues so can usefully use the regional lounge instead.

Unfortunately the new regional lounge is already at capacity during peak times without overflow from main lounge.

WLG Base Mar 4, 2020 2:38 am

Very disappointing food offering in AKL Koru lounge tonight (I arrived about 19:50). Just "salads" and a lemon dessert!! No meat or fish. No hot food.