Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

"Seat only" and *A gold checked luggage privileges

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)

If I book a TransTasman "seat only" ticket, do I get the additional checked luggage entitlement of *A Gold, or do I actually have to have purchased "Seat + Bag"?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
No, you must purchase seat + bag
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:51 pm

You will need seat and bag if want any checked bags
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
I feel like this should be stickied at the top of the forum as this question comes up once a month at least.
sbiddle and Trumpkin like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by RTWFF
If I book a TransTasman "seat only" ticket, do I get the additional checked luggage entitlement of *A Gold, or do I actually have to have purchased "Seat + Bag"?
No, need Seat+Bag as others have posted.

I see the *A website now also makes mention of this. It never used to:

Extra Baggage Allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:12 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by RTWFF
No checked baggage at all on seat only.
On Seat + Bag you will have additional bag.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
If travelling as a couple, you can book one as seat only and the other as seat + bag to get effectively one bag each, but both must be checked in against the person with the seat + bag booking.
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Seat only luggage

Do you get luggage allowance if you have a pending upgrade request in the system ?
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Beano
Do you get luggage allowance if you have a pending upgrade request in the system ?
Not on a S2S fare, no.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by Beano
Well, the answer was yes a couple of month ago when I travelled AKL-SYD on a Seat Only ticket but best to email NZ with your booking ref to get it confirmed in writing.
trooper and smeags_nz like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints - Gold Elite, Velocity - Platinum, Qantas - Gold
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Well, the answer was yes a couple of month ago when I travelled AKL-SYD on a Seat Only ticket but best to email NZ with your booking ref to get it confirmed in writing.

Yep, I traveled Trans-Tasman DUD-MEL at Christmas with Wife & kids. All four of us on 'Seat Only' fares, but all with Business upgrades pending. We were all allowed the Business Class baggage allowance, even though the upgrades hadn't cleared.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
Yep, I traveled Trans-Tasman DUD-MEL at Christmas with Wife & kids. All four of us on 'Seat Only' fares, but all with Business upgrades pending. We were all allowed the Business Class baggage allowance, even though the upgrades hadn't cleared.
Interesting. This never used to be policy - increased baggage limits only used to be available on non S2S routes and S2S was specifically excluded from this policy (which isn't public anyway).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Interesting. This never used to be policy - increased baggage limits only used to be available on non S2S routes and S2S was specifically excluded from this policy (which isn't public anyway).
It might not be policy, but perhaps just local staff discretion for a NZ*E?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: ANZ Gold
Originally Posted by smeags_nz
What ANZ flight DUD - MEL has Business class that you could request an upgrade for?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgwills
What ANZ flight DUD - MEL has Business class that you could request an upgrade for?
Assume it was actually DUD-AKL-MEL...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.