Air NZ Call Centre

Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:31 am
Ged
Original Poster

Air NZ Call Centre

So..Following on from previous queries - did some test bookings for Christchurch to Orlando. Given it's more than 4 passengers travelling on another carrier - I presume United for the USA domestic side, I need to use the Call Centre. From the fare conditions onscreen it looks like I pay an additional $60 per person per international leg for the privilege - "For airfare only bookings made through our Contact Centre a non-refundable service fee of $60 per person, per one way long haul journey applies. "

While hoping that isn't the case that adds approx $720 to the fares. Am I reading that correctly ?

What's the downside of booking a group of 4 followed by a group of 2 instead of 6 at once ?

Cheers
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by Ged
So..Following on from previous queries - did some test bookings for Christchurch to Orlando. Given it's more than 4 passengers travelling on another carrier - I presume United for the USA domestic side, I need to use the Call Centre. From the fare conditions onscreen it looks like I pay an additional $60 per person per international leg for the privilege - "For airfare only bookings made through our Contact Centre a non-refundable service fee of $60 per person, per one way long haul journey applies. "

While hoping that isn't the case that adds approx $720 to the fares. Am I reading that correctly ?

What's the downside of booking a group of 4 followed by a group of 2 instead of 6 at once ?

Cheers
Might not get seats together.
If IRROP the group with status may get handled seperatly from the group with no status (if applicable)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Any reason why you just wouldn't use a travel agent?
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:55 am
Ged
Original Poster

That's a good point re travel agent. I've never used one and always booked online directly for holidays and travel. Didn't even consider it !!

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:56 pm

Have you checked out some online travel agents such as Expedia (or any of the other ones) to see if you can book it through them?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: NZ*E
In my experience Air NZ will usually waive the call center fee when you're trying to do something that simply couldn't be done online. Might be worth asking.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by amc184
In my experience Air NZ will usually waive the call center fee when you're trying to do something that simply couldn't be done online. Might be worth asking.
I've regularly not been so fortunate, even as an Elite.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by amc184
They used to. Very rare to now.

Something like this doesn't really fit the sort of category that would meet this requirement though anyway, ie a complex multipax booking.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:34 pm
Ged
Original Poster

So...Last time I had dealings with a TA was in the UK 20 years ago. They made their margins via the airlines and / or the resorts. Spoke to a TA here about 10 years ago and for a simple flight to Gold Coast and accommodation - $1000 more expensive than I could do online. Took me 15 minutes all in. Just been into Flight Centre for a chat - She confirmed they still make their money via the airlines so technically I don't pay them which was heartening to hear. After a few minutes of checking they came up with $3000 return per person Christchurch - Orlando for Dec 2020 which seems somewhat expensive again compared to previous journeys to same location. She did however say they will match the listed Air NZ prices when we decide to book so will go back in a few weeks when fuller availability appears and see what can be done. Might also try the Air NZ call to see if they will waive.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Ged
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:41 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
If I want to do something that couldn't be done online Air NZ have always waived my fees.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
If I want to do something that couldn't be done online Air NZ have always waived my fees.
I paid fees a few times last year.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
They must like you. I've had to pay, even though there was no chance of doing it online.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Ged
After a few minutes of checking they came up with $3000 return per person Christchurch - Orlando for Dec 2020 which seems somewhat expensive again compared to previous journeys to same location. She did however say they will match the listed Air NZ prices...
In economy or premium economy?
$3000 for economy seems a bit steep.

You could try visit flights.google.com to find the dates & flights you wanted, then with all the flights' information go back to the TA to have them book the tickets.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:45 pm
Ged
Original Poster

That was economy and indicated PE would be around $5800 which on reflection was high. She did say they would be able to match what Air NZ was offering at the time so when the return dates become available I'll head back in to get it booked.

Cheers
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by Ged
That was economy and indicated PE would be around $5800 which on reflection was high. She did say they would be able to match what Air NZ was offering at the time so when the return dates become available I'll head back in to get it booked.

Cheers

I looked at sample dates (admittedly early December of course) CHC-MCO and pricing was something like $700 more booking with NZ than with a TA, at least according to Google; hard to say if it would stick though.

The trick is to look up flights yourself, and then tell the TA exactly which flights they should price for you. That way you won't be at the mercy of the TA, and will be somewhat proactive.

1 Dec to 8 Dec, 6 pax:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.