Wiki Posts
Search

Dynamic pricing

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P
Dynamic pricing

As a concept I hate this - I think it is the ultimate attack on your customers. I’m sure it makes business sense, but the whole process as previously painted here appalls me.

So a question - is using a VPN effective enough to get around it? Is clearing your caches/ cookies enough?
Beckett66 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: NZ*G
They certainly don’t appear too concerned about bleeding their remaining goodwill
Old Dec 27, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Air NZ don't have dynamic pricing (yet) so none of your questions can be answered.

As for getting around dynamic pricing in general used often by hotel chains and hotel aggregation sites - clearing cookies and tracking cookies is the most effective tool but even that won't help if they can track you by being logged in.

A VPN is only useful if chains offer dynamic pricing based on the country you're from and isn't something commonly used.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Air NZ don't have dynamic pricing (yet) so none of your questions can be answered.

As for getting around dynamic pricing in general used often by hotel chains and hotel aggregation sites - clearing cookies and tracking cookies is the most effective tool but even that won't help if they can track you by being logged in.

A VPN is only useful if chains offer dynamic pricing based on the country you're from and isn't something commonly used.
NZ does offer different fares depending on the point of sale. I’ve saved tremendously by booking the same flights on the NZ site instead of the US site.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:52 pm

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus

It [dynamic pricing] may have arrived. I'm a long standing GE and was unable to access the $19 flights on Friday 21st February either from web browser or iOS app. I then made the bookings without logging into the AirNZ portal and simply added my airpoints number allowing Google Chrome to auto-populate the fields. The flights then appeared in my iOS app. Specifically, WLG-AKL April 20-26th 2020 were $19 and I managed to secure two returns by anonymous login, simply putting in my AP number and not logging in. Another pair, WLG-PMR remained available well into the evening and the premium team were unable to answer why I could not see the "grab-a-seat" $19 when logged in. Notably,TT grab-a-seat remained selectable via logged in bookings; only domestic were unavailable, defaulting to $49 in the case of WLG-AKL. For those thinking it was a cache etc issue, I already addressed that potential being an IT guy. Indeed, when I took the opportunity to "log in" via the "grab-a-seat" link it threw me out of the $19 option. I'm not taking it personally but it may signal the beginning of end for HVC seeking to obtain the best status point/revenue ratio. I'm on AirNZ's customer forum and will be raising it there, along with a query through both the premium team and investor relations as i'm not keen on this "special treatment"
Beano, Markhm, Beckett66 and 5 others like this.

Last edited by paintini; Feb 22, 2020 at 11:55 pm Reason: typos
Old Feb 22, 2020, 11:57 pm

Interesting..
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:15 pm

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
AirNZ seem to be giving HVC’s a good spank down ATM.
Slightly OT, however in recent lounge visits I get the impression (and to be fair I’m not sure whether they are the hirer/employer) that NZ are more interested in signalling their “diversity” than being focused on great & professional service.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:38 pm

1000 x $9 domestic GAS fares going on sale at 9am tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see if it's possible to see these if logged in.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 12:24 am

1000 x $9 domestic GAS fares going on sale at 9am tomorrow.

Will be interesting to see if it's possible to see these if logged in.
So on sale cos of Coronavirus, does that mean it’s been around for years (been plenty $9 sales before) or just more bs from NZ?
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:20 am

People have stopped booking flights - literally.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 1:39 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I was searching DUD-WLG via the NZ website for the GAS dates every ~20sec....at 9am I noticed dates with the GAS fares all had "no flights available"...I tried logging out and then searching, but that is when the website started crashing. FWIW I'm only a lowly silver
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:04 pm

No way to test this morning due to the website overloading.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by paintini
It [dynamic pricing] may have arrived. I'm a long standing GE and was unable to access the $19 flights on Friday 21st February either from web browser or iOS app. I then made the bookings without logging into the AirNZ portal and simply added my airpoints number allowing Google Chrome to auto-populate the fields. The flights then appeared in my iOS app. Specifically, WLG-AKL April 20-26th 2020 were $19 and I managed to secure two returns by anonymous login, simply putting in my AP number and not logging in. Another pair, WLG-PMR remained available well into the evening and the premium team were unable to answer why I could not see the "grab-a-seat" $19 when logged in. Notably,TT grab-a-seat remained selectable via logged in bookings; only domestic were unavailable, defaulting to $49 in the case of WLG-AKL. For those thinking it was a cache etc issue, I already addressed that potential being an IT guy. Indeed, when I took the opportunity to "log in" via the "grab-a-seat" link it threw me out of the $19 option. I'm not taking it personally but it may signal the beginning of end for HVC seeking to obtain the best status point/revenue ratio. I'm on AirNZ's customer forum and will be raising it there, along with a query through both the premium team and investor relations as i'm not keen on this "special treatment"
Have you contacted Air NZs website team? I’ve seen some price differences but I don’t think they’re related to this. Was told by social media team to contact website team. I had screen shots as well. I have a work around but it’s a PITA. I was told it needs to be an active problem. I couldn’t sort the issue then call as they would no longer be able to see the issue to sort it? I haven’t got round to calling them. I usually sort it then take some time out to get over being grumpy.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 8:30 pm

Location: Wellington/Dunedin/Auckland/Africa/Pacific Islands/Geneva
Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Have you contacted Air NZs website team? I’ve seen some price differences but I don’t think they’re related to this. Was told by social media team to contact website team. I had screen shots as well. I have a work around but it’s a PITA. I was told it needs to be an active problem. I couldn’t sort the issue then call as they would no longer be able to see the issue to sort it? I haven’t got round to calling them. I usually sort it then take some time out to get over being grumpy.
I’ve noticed recently Grabaseat fares are only accessible through accessing booking page through grabaseat. A standard search from air nz app or website doesn’t show the grabaseat fares.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by walshmi
I’ve noticed recently Grabaseat fares are only accessible through accessing booking page through grabaseat. A standard search from air nz app or website doesn’t show the grabaseat fares.
Both domestic and international? This has always been the case for international GAS F class to avoid people accidently selecting a GAS fare from the main website and not understanding the limitations of F class.

If this has changed to domestic as well as could possibly explain the issue the OP had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.