minconnect time in Wlg

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
minconnect time in Wlg

Hi All,

I'm flying SIN-WLG (SQ) - AKL (NZ) my original booking was as follows:

land 12:10pm WLG, depart WLG for AKL 1.45pm; however Air NZ has just emailed me and said that the WLG flight has now been rescheduled to 1.15pm.

Is 12.10pm arrival in WLG in International, customs clearance, grab check-in luggage then re-check with Air NZ domestic possible in 30-40 mins before the 1.15pm departure on AirNZ? On NZ passport, rarely travel through WLG so very unfamiliar with the connection times.

Somewhat concerned that Minconnect is super tight and because I'm on two separate tickets. Will check with SQ check-in in Singapore if they can through check all the way to Auckland, but if they don't/can't is the 1 hr connection time too tight?

If it's too tight, then my next option is a 2.45pm departure from WLG...kinda not keen on the wait.

Would appreciate input from the knowledgeable crew here before I make my decision on schedule change confirmation.

Thanks!
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

12:10 scheduled arrival from SIN (MEL?) on SQ
13:15 scheduled departure (was 13:45) to AKL on NZ
With separate tickets you have to check-in X minutes before scheduled departure (X=20 or 30?)
Bags cannot be through checked as you must clear with customs with all your carry-on & checked bags

Having done several international flights MEL WLG and then a separate domestic flight to CHC I would not have attempted 12:10 to 13:45.
When I have entered NZ at WLG immigration (kiosk), bag collection & customs has been slow. Only a very few customs officials (~sloooow).

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 19, 2019 at 11:53 pm
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:27 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Get the 2.45pm flight.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
1315 is a massive gamble that even I wouldn't bet on. It is simply not worth the risk especially since neither SQ nor NZ will care if you missed your flight since you're decided to travel on separate tickets.

Check-in closes 30 mins beforehand for Air NZ domestic and is now strictly enforced with zero exceptions.

What class are you on SQ? If you're business and at the front of the queue you should be able to clear passport control, collect bags and then biosecurity screening in around 20 mins on a good day. If you're in Economy that will be pushed out to a minimum of 30 mins or so simply because of the number of passengers if the flight is full.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

20 Dec SQ247 MEL WLG scheduled arrival 13:10 actual arrival 15:06
17 Dec SQ247 MEL WLG scheduled arrival 13:10 actual arrival 13:30
15 Dec SQ247 MEL WLG scheduled arrival 13:10 actual arrival 13:07
13 Dec SQ247 MEL WLG scheduled arrival 13:10 actual arrival 13:15
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIA247
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/fligh...ing/SQ/247/MEL
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/sq247

Best to buy a flexi fare with Air NZ that can be changed
Old Dec 21, 2019, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
..What class are you on SQ? If you're business and at the front of the queue you should be able to clear passport control, collect bags and then biosecurity screening in around 20 mins on a good day. If you're in Economy that will be pushed out to a minimum of 30 mins or so simply because of the number of passengers if the flight is full.
Flying in J, yeah I was thinking it would kind of be like Auckland but honestly never flown international into Wlg before. Appreciate the insight, I'll probably stick to the 2.45pm flight.

Thanks everyone for the help, and yup I'm on a flexi-time fare so will see if I actually make it in time and I can jump on the earlier flight after check-in.

Cheers!
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:46 am

The Melbourne to Wellington flight is reasonably on time and I've done J a few times before where it's been very lightly loaded. All times I've traveled without checked luggage so can't comment on delivery time but without fault I've been standing in front of the regional boarding area less than 10 minutes after stepping off the plane.

If you're on seperate tickets then go for the flexitime option and you can just change to an earlier flight (depending on space availability) or worse case is you waste an hour or two waiting around.
Old Dec 22, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Flying in J, yeah I was thinking it would kind of be like Auckland but honestly never flown international into Wlg before. Appreciate the insight, I'll probably stick to the 2.45pm flight.

Thanks everyone for the help, and yup I'm on a flexi-time fare so will see if I actually make it in time and I can jump on the earlier flight after check-in.

Cheers!
If you have a bag to check, you need to change your flight to an earlier one first then check you bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.