Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Your opinion: Upgrade on AKL-LAX or LAX-LHR?

Your opinion: Upgrade on AKL-LAX or LAX-LHR?

Old Dec 14, 19, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G
Question Your opinion: Upgrade on AKL-LAX or LAX-LHR?

Travelling on NZ2 straight to London in PE. originating in WLG
I have a Recognition Upgrade to burn, and fully expect that it probably wont clear however if you had the option... what leg do you recommend using an RU on AKL to LAX or LAX to LHR?

Second question travel is originating out of WLG. I am wanting to use some of my baggage allowance to drop some stuff off in AKL on the way (6 hours in transit in AKL). Same PNR.
- Should I expect any issues with checking bags to AKL then rechecking onward
to LHR. I really need to leave a bag in AKL.
- Also if the recognition upgrade is lodged but not cleared for BP do you still get the BP privileges at check in and for the duration of the journey ie 3 bags and lounge access. Questions asked as I have dropped to Silver although this trip will pop me back up.

thanks
st14

Last edited by ST14; Dec 14, 19 at 4:31 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 14, 19, 11:19 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
There are no definitive answers to your questions.

Personally I'd prefer BP on AKL-LAX as it's when I sleep the most on this route.

As for short checking bags and BP benefits neither are official published policy. You should get BP benefits at check-in on longhaul with a RU and you should theoretically be able to get all your bags short checked so you can retrieve them at AKL however this is potentially a YMMV thing depending.
Old Dec 14, 19, 3:08 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I agree with sbiddle on both counts. The AKL-LAX leg is longer and the more natural leg to sleep. For benefits, it can’t hurt to ask but I wouldn’t expect to have either baggage or lounge access until the upgrade to the relevant class clears. I’ve had good and bad results, so suggest you use Business check in and explain your situation with a smile.
Old Dec 15, 19, 2:04 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Upgrade LAX-LHR so that you have slept in the right time zone and you minimise jetlag.

On AKL-LAX you need to stay awake for as long as you possibly can.
Old Dec 15, 19, 3:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by DCF View Post
Upgrade LAX-LHR so that you have slept in the right time zone and you minimise jetlag.

On AKL-LAX you need to stay awake for as long as you possibly can.
Yeah, normally I try go J the whole way, but if I had to choose I'd go J for the second sector each time. I find myself generally not able to get much sleep on the first leg, but exhausted enough by the second flight to sleep most of it.

Same in reverse too, would rather be in J between LAX and AKL as I'm usually exhausted enough by then to sleep properly.
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Good answers, thanks - my wife and I are on NZ2 in PE through to LHR in a few weeks and like original poster I have an RU to use which I think I will submit for LAX to LHR leg. The LAX-LHR sector also seems to have many more open seats in J than AKL-LAX, at this stage anyway.

The question I have however is does my voucher cover 2 travellers on the same booking? When submitting it shows both myself and my wife and shows 'not required' beside my wifes name - it is not clear however whether not required in this case refers to my wife being included as part of the request on my RU, or not required because she is not entitled to the upgrade?
Old Jan 18, 20, 12:53 am

Programs: NZ *E, Accor Platinum, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by ottiehund View Post
Good answers, thanks - my wife and I are on NZ2 in PE through to LHR in a few weeks and like original poster I have an RU to use which I think I will submit for LAX to LHR leg. The LAX-LHR sector also seems to have many more open seats in J than AKL-LAX, at this stage anyway.

The question I have however is does my voucher cover 2 travellers on the same booking? When submitting it shows both myself and my wife and shows 'not required' beside my wifes name - it is not clear however whether not required in this case refers to my wife being included as part of the request on my RU, or not required because she is not entitled to the upgrade?
i am uncertain about the “not required” syntax, but very certain that RUs are for 1 pax, not multiples.
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
A RU is required per passenger.

The "not required" means an upgrade is not required for that person - in the context it's shown it's always seemed logical to me but I guess if you are thinking an upgrade covers 2 people then you could potentially misinterpret what "not required" means.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:48 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
Thanks guys, that makes sense. I may hold back for another trip when travelling on my own rather than risk separate cabins!

The AKL-LAX sector will put me back through gold for the first time in many years as only require 90 odd SP's so maybe could lodge a one up for Mrs Ottie? but then it would be lodged late (assuming status change happens before we reboard at LAX) so will be down the pecking order - I think I will settle for what we have booked and paid for this time. (sorry, thinking aloud here as I type).

I had been wondering about the 2 passenger thing because of course if I use the oneup option that does apply to both passengers on the same booking.

Last edited by ottiehund; Jan 18, 20 at 2:39 pm
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:58 am

Use it before you lose it! It will disappear if you hit gold.
ottiehund likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: