Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

New Elite Airpoints Dollars upgrade rates

Old Dec 14, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo
Just booked 2 x QATAR Auckland to Edinburgh in business / Q suite for less than 2 x PE on Air NZ.

Big change for me. Sorry Air NZ. You made me do it!
You won’t regret it. I made the same choice for flights to Italy, and paid only 55% of the Air NZ cost for a two flight rather than three flight journey. The QR lounge in Doha is good and the On-board service was ok (although a step down from NZ).
Old Dec 14, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Welp as a regular NZ > USA flyer, I won't be pushing to attain Elite next year as planned; not much point anymore.
MrLovebucket likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I was just looking at a few random dates for 2019 earlier this morning after reading this thread. PE on NZ via LAX is around the same price as business on Qatar on the 4 random dates I looked.
Beano and MrLovebucket like this.
Old Dec 14, 2019, 6:31 pm

Qatar has 'pre-select' in-flight dining for J before you fly.

Lamb loin / beef fillet is common (not the exception).

+ Prawns!
Old Dec 14, 2019, 9:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Is my reading right that as long as you request it before 9th Feb even for future travel the old rates apply?

An what if the upgrade is not confirmed at request but only confirmed closer to departure, would the current rate hold?

thanks
Old Dec 15, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I'm guessing that AIr NZ will feel totally vindicated that they made the right move given the uproar they will be reading here.
A CFO acting as CEO would do just this sort of thing
And why offer cheap upgrades when you can sell them as part of the bidding at the airport?
Airpoints wants us to use them to buy stuff at Z or Mitre 10 and be a real competitor to FlyBys, and not just be an FFP.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I sent an email off to Jeremy O'Brien and think everyone else who doesn't like this change should do the same, especially if you've got actual instances where you now book other carriers due to dilution of benefits and ongoing "enhancements"
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Well we could use this thread to tell everyone else of the air nz pe fare vs the j competitor fare so that if they do read it then they can at least see some revenue lost.

or people who move to flying jq domestically
h

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I'm guessing that AIr NZ will feel totally vindicated that they made the right move given the uproar they will be reading here.
And why offer cheap upgrades when you can sell them as part of the bidding at the airport?
Airpoints wants us to use them to buy stuff at Z or Mitre 10 and be a real competitor to FlyBys, and not just be an FFP.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond
Well we could use this thread to tell everyone else of the air nz pe fare vs the j competitor fare so that if they do read it then they can at least see some revenue lost.

or people who move to flying jq domestically
h

Old Dec 15, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Hmmmm, time to look for a relevant status match offer and consider making a move I think plus a relevant credit card. Will let the banked years run their course. Perhaps this is their aim to think the HVC herd on the assumption some with still fork out for Koru. AirNZ refugee thread in the Qantas or Singapore section anyone?

Funny thing is I find myself defending the programme in the geeky freq flyer conversations, almost entirely on the APD upgrade option as an Elite! Otherwise lounges are crammed and average, crew experience hit and miss and J product not up to others.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
The vindication piece would fall extremely short when you consider the amount of revenue on base fares lost, which will include significant spend on PE fares to position for BP upgrades.

There will be a lot of small companies (and individuals) repurposing their airfare spends. This was after all the last true Elite benefit of any significant attraction, and these inflations will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for many who will be 50/50 on opting for generally more expensive base fare spends against upgrade cost and opportunity. We will see it like that for sure, especially with all the long-haul competition out there now.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat
Originally Posted by sbiddle
With the incredibly poorly though put move to scrap LHR and dated BP hard product this is only going to end up driving NZ and AU based HVCs to other airlines.
Poor move to scrap LHR? Given the recent comparisons with PE on NZ vs J on Qatar not to mention having only 2 stops to Europe and avoiding the US, It is hard to believe that people still fly on the NZ 1/2 option!

Whilst the increases are problematic, NZ will continue to have my business and leisure travel because of the direct options to the USA.

J on UA or AA isn't much cheaper is it? Pus I often head to the East coast so like to get as close as possible.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
The vindication piece would fall extremely short when you consider the amount of revenue on base fares lost, which will include significant spend on PE fares to position for BP upgrades.

There will be a lot of small companies (and individuals) repurposing their airfare spends. This was after all the last true Elite benefit of any significant attraction, and these inflations will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for many who will be 50/50 on opting for generally more expensive base fare spends against upgrade cost and opportunity. We will see it like that for sure, especially with all the long-haul competition out there now.
New CEO comes in Feb? Current one just has to pump up revenues for the next two months and his job is done. New CEO's issue then.,
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
AirNZ used to get all my long haul J business.
They have fallen so far behind competition they were only getting my US business only due to monopoly status to there.
I came back SFO - AKL on UA a couple of months ago and their Polaris hard and soft product was way better, including food. Next month taking AA J to LAX connecting to east coast.
Coming back IAH - AKL on the weekend noticed the fairly average food and the very coarse paper towels in the J bathrooms. Losing the cloth towels is another negative against AirNZ J class.
Recently they have lost tens of thousands of revenue from my J class tickets due to the cuts and no investment in the J product.

AirNZ decide to cut and not invest in their J product. I decide to spend my J dollars with superior product on other airlines.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:18 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I sent an email off to Jeremy O'Brien and think everyone else who doesn't like this change should do the same, especially if you've got actual instances where you now book other carriers due to dilution of benefits and ongoing "enhancements"
Remember one of the first things Luxon wanted to do when he became the long haul manager was to scrap Elite upgrades. Many people wrote to him and even the Herald reported on it and eventually he backed down. He did say that he would review the rates at a later time.

The funny thing is this time around I no longer care. NZ's business class is not what I am chasing now after seeing all the Zodiac and Super Diamond seats of the world, thanks to the "enhancements" done to the programme year after year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.