Air New Zealand Wifi

Old Dec 8, 19, 5:58 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 1
Air New Zealand Wifi

I'm travelling on NZ75 from Auckland to Seoul-Incheon on the 14th of December. I know the 777s have inflight wifi installed already, but do the 787-9s have it?
flightrater2103 is offline  
Old Dec 8, 19, 6:54 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Posts: 2,349
Originally Posted by flightrater2103 View Post
I'm travelling on NZ75 from Auckland to Seoul-Incheon on the 14th of December. I know the 777s have inflight wifi installed already, but do the 787-9s have it?
https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/h...inflight-wifi/

If you use the Air NZ app it will indicate up to 7 days out if your aircraft will have wifi, but aircraft swaps happen frequently. Its a lottery. Good luck.
Rebound is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 12:32 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Zealand
Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Posts: 944
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
https://traveltalk.nz/news-opinion/h...inflight-wifi/
If you use the Air NZ app it will indicate up to 7 days out if your aircraft will have wifi, but aircraft swaps happen frequently. Its a lottery. Good luck.
It was indicated for an A320neo domestic flight I was on yesterday, but no WiFi was available.
Trumpkin is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 1:18 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 6,220
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
It was indicated for an A320neo domestic flight I was on yesterday, but no WiFi was available.
WIFI isnt enabled for domestic flights...
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Dec 12, 19, 1:50 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 5,308
Wi-Fi is enabled for domestic flights but it's very problematic on southbound routes due to tail fade. AKL-WLG is virtually unusable the entire way.
codyc1515 likes this.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 3:16 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 47
Hi team,

Does anyone have updated numbers or registrations of wifi-equipped 787-9?

Thanks in advance!
SDB22 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 5:37 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BLQ / TRG
Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Posts: 1,026
I flew down from SIN a week ago and ZK-NZN had it active.
SDB22 likes this.
WLGNZ is offline  
Old Jul 8, 22, 6:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, NZ*G, QF G, Accor Gold
Posts: 8,347
Flying AKL-LAX-AKL recently, both ZK-NZM and ZK-NZN had wifi up and running.
SDB22 likes this.
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Jul 12, 22, 2:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 684
Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post
WIFI isnt enabled for domestic flights...
Yes it is (aircraft & route dependent).
codyc1515 is offline  
Old Jul 12, 22, 2:53 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by codyc1515 View Post
Yes it is (aircraft & route dependent).
Though with the opening of borders we see the TT NEOs less on domestic runs, now mostly positioning.

I doubt they will put Wi-Fi on the domestic NEOs.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Jul 13, 22, 5:11 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 835
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Though with the opening of borders we see the TT NEOs less on domestic runs, now mostly positioning.

I doubt they will put Wi-Fi on the domestic NEOs.
New Zealand due to it's small size would be much more suited towards an Air To Ground system, this could also allow some of the smaller aircraft such as the ATRs to also be connected.

Obviously all this costs money and a long term investment.
henrus is offline  
Old Jul 13, 22, 6:38 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Wi-Fi is enabled for domestic flights but it's very problematic on southbound routes due to tail fade. AKL-WLG is virtually unusable the entire way.
OK, I'm intrigued. What is 'tail fade'?
mad_atta is online now  
Old Jul 13, 22, 6:46 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
OK, I'm intrigued. What is 'tail fade'?
The shadow created by the tail when the plane is flying southwards.

The satellites' orbit is north of NZ so the dish needs a good view of the sky to the north, so when flying south the tail obscures the sky.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Jul 14, 22, 2:19 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
The shadow created by the tail when the plane is flying southwards.

The satellites' orbit is north of NZ so the dish needs a good view of the sky to the north, so when flying south the tail obscures the sky.
Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a fairly fundamental design flaw!
mad_atta is online now  
Old Jul 14, 22, 3:07 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,877
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Seems like a fairly fundamental design flaw!
Tails on air craft are kinda important. Blended wing and body aircraft are a way off for the airliners market.

Also is only really an issue for domestic flights (where the Wi-Fi NEOs are only really doing positioning flights and maybe Fiji. (And even then only an issue on south bound flights). All the rest of the flights have enough east west in them that not an issue.

Starlink with their new maritime product are solving the shadow problem by having two dishes to mount either side of the vessel so one should always have a reasonable view of the sky. The Starlink constellation size & orbits likely means for aircraft with a the firmware knowing where the tail is vs the satellite locations could get away without obvious tail fade. But starlink is a very different constellation setup & is only in the early certification & testing phase on aircraft. And most probably a year or three away from having usable oceanic coverage.
nzkarit is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread