Air New Zealand Wifi

Old Jul 14, 22, 4:17 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Tails on air craft are kinda important. Blended wing and body aircraft are a way off for the airliners market.
To be clear, I didn't mean a design flaw of aircraft themselves. I agree that tail fins are kinda important, and after very careful consideration I reluctantly concede that I'd prioritise safe and effective control of the aircraft over the ability to surf Instagram inflight

I did mean it seems like a significant design flaw of wifi systems designed specifically for aircraft (pretty much all of which have those pesky tails we were just talking about, getting in the way). Having said that, I know literally nothing about this and the pros and cons of various systems so it's not like I would pretend to know whether this was the best solution for NZ or not. Thank you for sharing the info and explanation, it's really interesting.
Old Jul 14, 22, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
To be clear, I didn't mean a design flaw of aircraft themselves. I agree that tail fins are kinda important, and after very careful consideration I reluctantly concede that I'd prioritise safe and effective control of the aircraft over the ability to surf Instagram inflight

I did mean it seems like a significant design flaw of wifi systems designed specifically for aircraft (pretty much all of which have those pesky tails we were just talking about, getting in the way). Having said that, I know literally nothing about this and the pros and cons of various systems so it's not like I would pretend to know whether this was the best solution for NZ or not. Thank you for sharing the info and explanation, it's really interesting.

On the wide bodies you don't get tail fade on the same way as the dish can be mounted further forward so the shadow created by the tail is less. And for what most of the NEOs do it isn't an issue.

At the time AirNZ went live with the system let alone started shopping, Starlink didn't even have FCC approval. Think pretty much all the constellations would have likely had tail fade issues or coverage issues. Even the one AirNZ picked has coverage issues for flights to South America. When Starlink gets v2 of the Satellites up with a full mesh LASER mesh between satellites it will be a game changer. The maritime version recently launch in the region of US$5k per vessel per month is still like a 10x+ price drop. And will by next year have fairly good coverage. Will be interesting to see if Delta and/or Hawaiian pick it up after testing it.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 15, 22, 1:30 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Wing fade is also an issue higher up in Europe where aircraft can often bank a lot.
Old Jul 17, 22, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by SDB22 View Post
Hi team,

Does anyone have updated numbers or registrations of wifi-equipped 787-9?

Thanks in advance!
Enabled on ZK-NZQ.
Old Jul 29, 22, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Any reports from ZK-NZL? That seems to be flying SFO-AKL a lot lately.
Old Jul 29, 22, 10:14 pm

Enabled on ZK-NZH SIN-AKL last week.

Conversely no wifi on ZK-NZM AKL-YVR, which is contrary to an earlier post on this thread.
Old Jul 30, 22, 11:54 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Had a domestic flight yesterday. Could select wifi network but no internet the whole flight. Northbound so not tail fade issue.
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:24 pm

Interesting ... I'm scheduled on ZK-NZM SFO-AKL ...which has differing reports in this thread. Guess I'll have to try my luck!
Old Jul 30, 22, 8:38 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
AKL-LAX: ZK-NZQ (enabled)
AKL-MEL: ZK-NZI (enabled)
SFO-AKL: ZK-NZR (not enabled)
MEL-CHC: ZK-NHF (99% confident it was enabled)
Old Jul 30, 22, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
AKL-LAX: ZK-NZQ (enabled)
AKL-MEL: ZK-NZI (enabled)
SFO-AKL: ZK-NZR (not enabled)
MEL-CHC: ZK-NHF (99% confident it was enabled)
All the internationally configured NEOs have it from the factory I am pretty sure.
brenrox likes this.
Old Jul 31, 22, 1:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I must update my list of them. The easy way to tell is to simply look at the rego on somewhere like airliners.net and see if current photos have the radome.

None of the 789s have been upgraded for a while now due to the loss of a 789 each week for the repaints in the US at present. I believe they plan to resume them in a couple of months once this is complete.
Old Aug 2, 22, 11:17 pm

No wifi on ZK-NZM, SFO-AKL
Old Aug 3, 22, 2:13 am

Programs: Airpoints
Current Status of Wide Bodies

787-9 WIFI (Last photo found)
ZK-NZC NO (November 21)
ZK-NZD NO (February 22)
ZK-NZE NO (May 22)
ZK-NZF YES
ZK-NZG NO (November 21)
ZK-NZH YES
ZK-NZI YES
ZK-NZJ NO (June 22)
ZK-NZK NO (April 22)
ZK-NZL NO (February 22)
ZK-NZM NO (June 22)
ZK-NZN YES
ZK-NZQ YES
ZK-NZR NO (December 21)

777-300ER WIFI
ZK-OKM NO
ZK-OKN YES
ZK-OKO YES
ZK-OKP YES
ZK-OKQ YES
ZK-OKR NO
ZK-OKS YES
nzerinto likes this.
Old Aug 3, 22, 11:06 pm

You can re-confirm no wifi on ZK-NZL, I was on it today AKL-SYD, no wifi (August 2022)
Old Aug 7, 22, 4:40 pm

787-9 WIFI (Last photo found)
ZK-NZC NO (November 21)
ZK-NZD NO (February 22)
ZK-NZE NO (May 22)
ZK-NZF YES
ZK-NZG NO (November 21)
ZK-NZH YES
ZK-NZI YES
ZK-NZJ NO (June 22)
ZK-NZK NO (April 22)
ZK-NZL NO (February 22)
ZK-NZM NO (June 22)
ZK-NZN YES
ZK-NZQ YES
ZK-NZR NO (December 21)

777-300ER WIFI
ZK-OKM NO
ZK-OKN YES
ZK-OKO YES
ZK-OKP YES
ZK-OKQ YES
ZK-OKR NO
ZK-OKS YES
EDIT: Tried deleting my post, but apparently that's not possible, so will just modify it. My original comment was to say it looks like ZK-NZM was a "yes" based on the comment further up this thread, but then realized 2 other posters said "no", so am assuming it's actually a "no", and original poster was mistaken.

Last edited by nzerinto; Aug 7, 22 at 4:47 pm Reason: Adding quote to provide context

Search this Thread