Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Reward flights availability When are they loaded.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.

Hi

I'm looking for a reward flight AKL-RAR next year in Y. using VS reward miles.

Looking at United.com and looking for Saver awards I see there's availability up to March 6th, but nothing after that.

I'm hoping its because AirNZ only load reward flights up to 3 months in advance on this route ? (Today is Dec 7th.)

So by my logic I should see May 2nd on Feb 1st 202?

Would that be correct?

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by blindman
I'm hoping its because AirNZ only load reward flights up to 3 months in advance on this route ? (Today is Dec 7th.)

In May I can see domestic award availability, and Y award availability to asian destinations,so I doubt there is a general 3 month rule.

I think most likely is that availability is already gone, or possibly release of award seats on this popular route is more tightly controlled. Others may have insight.

I note there is a direct SYD-RAR flight. Did you examine that as an option?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
In May I can see domestic award availability, and Y award availability to asian destinations,so I doubt there is a general 3 month rule.

I think most likely is that availability is already gone, or possibly release of award seats on this popular route is more tightly controlled. Others may have insight.

I note there is a direct SYD-RAR flight. Did you examine that as an option?
Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I see domestic\Int awards flights available in May \June too.

I wouldn't think all the availability has gone on the AKL-RAR as there as absolutely Nothing all year from March.

Thanks for the heads up re SYD-RAR but it connects to the AKL_RAR so same nil availability.

I'll check back in a couple of days to see if there are more past 7th March

Cheers.

Last edited by blindman; Dec 7, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:11 pm

Isn't NZ60/61 the non stop SYD RAR route. Doesn't go via Auckland.

Is only onceish a week though.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi
Yes there is a direct flight once a week on a Friday, but it does not appear at all on the rewards.

Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by blindman
I wouldn't think all the availability has gone on the AKL-RAR as there as absolutely Nothing all year from March
Well, maybe I’m just more pessimistic about seats being snaffled up soon after they are released.

Anyway, good luck and please do update us with your analysis. cheers.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Bare in mind Northern Summer is peak travel period for the pacific islands (being winter in New Zealand) so wouldn’t be expecting to see many, of any rewards on the Pacific Island routes.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: NZ
When airlines release award seats is one of the biggest secrets in the airline industry and just when you think you have found a pattern it goes out the window the next day. All you can do is monitor the availability every day, and have a Plan B if nothing comes up.

I would also be looking at cash prices on this route (on the NZ version of the website) as you may get a reasonable deal that way.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Virgin Australia also fly the route M,W,F,Sa. You might have better luck with reward availability there. Leaves ~1645. You can pay for economy X. Better leg room, few other minor perks. Or you could pay and accrue to VS.

The VA flight turns straight around and that’s the more tiring leg. If you had to choose economy X once do it on this leg mainly for a chance at a row to yourself to lay down. You arrive at night and leave at night so no day views ��

Check-in online regardless of using NZ or VA on the return because that’s normally the smaller check-in line. Then head across the road to the islander for a drink and dinner. Tuesday night is island night so dancing performance etc. you’ll have to leave before the end though. Nothing much after airport security. NZ has a lounge but it’s tiny.

I know you asked about NZ but just throwing that out there!
Old Dec 8, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Virgin Australia also fly the route M,W,F,Sa. You might have better luck with reward availability there. Leaves ~1645. You can pay for economy X. Better leg room, few other minor perks. Or you could pay and accrue to VS.

The VA flight turns straight around and that’s the more tiring leg. If you had to choose economy X once do it on this leg mainly for a chance at a row to yourself to lay down. You arrive at night and leave at night so no day views ��

Check-in online regardless of using NZ or VA on the return because that’s normally the smaller check-in line. Then head across the road to the islander for a drink and dinner. Tuesday night is island night so dancing performance etc. you’ll have to leave before the end though. Nothing much after airport security. NZ has a lounge but it’s tiny.

I know you asked about NZ but just throwing that out there!
VA often has very reasonable J fares on this route, e.g. $1000return (which on some dates can be simlair priced to Y on NZ).
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: 1
Thanks
Old Dec 12, 2019, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

I may look at the cash fares as rewards price up about the same value and it looks like they will not be avaiblel to book (if at all) until about Feb 2020

Last Q:

Do AirNZ have any "January sales" worth waiting for?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.