Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge access on QF/NZ codeshare.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Lounge access on QF/NZ codeshare.

Friend recently flew business from Cairns to Los Angeles. NZ ticketed. QF metal from Cairns to Brisbane on codeshare flight. Denied access to Cairns (Qantas) lounge. No problems in Brisbane though. Was he bilked?
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Bit odd having the LAX sector. Partnership supposed to be for domestic attached to TT leg.

I would have thought flying business class domestic on QF should have been ok in itself for lounge access despite NZ issue.

I’ve read too many confusing accounts on AFF so decided to stay away from mixed tickets. Can’t be bothered with the hassle of it.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Bit odd having the LAX sector. Partnership supposed to be for domestic attached to TT leg.

I would have thought flying business class domestic on QF should have been ok in itself for lounge access despite NZ issue.

I’ve read too many confusing accounts on AFF so decided to stay away from mixed tickets. Can’t be bothered with the hassle of it.
Yes, I thought it was odd as well so decided to do a dummy and indeed you can build a CNS-BNE-AKL-LAX ticket with the CNS-BNE sector with NZ flight number. Of course this shouldn't have been an issue as all the lounge staff needed was a boarding pass with NZ flight number on and your Airpoints card.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 10:34 am

I thought QF longue access was only for Gold & Elite. On NZ coded flights
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Was he flying Economy or Business between Cairns to Brisbane?

A quick check on the AirNZ website shows most of them are economy but I can find the odd flight that is business for that leg.

My understanding is you either need to by flying business on the QF leg or as noted above be a Gold or Elite.

I don't think the policy that applies for NZ domestic / regional flights where you can access the a Koru Regional or Domestic lounge if you are also traveling business for international flight applies for QF Domestic flights.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, United.
Originally Posted by atomeara
Was he flying Economy or Business between Cairns to Brisbane?

A quick check on the AirNZ website shows most of them are economy but I can find the odd flight that is business for that leg.

My understanding is you either need to by flying business on the QF leg or as noted above be a Gold or Elite.
They were business on that leg so I think legitimately unhappy. poor start to the trip.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 2:30 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by macdo
They were business on that leg so I think legitimately unhappy. poor start to the trip.
yeah I struggle to think of a situation where one has a boarding pass for business class on a qantas flight and doesn’t get lounge access regardless of code- staff travel is the only one I can think of from the top of my head

i suppose the very slight consolation is that the cairns lounge is not *that* impressive but it’s generally better than no lounge

my only guess is that the boarding pass had an NZ flight number so it looked like they weren’t flying on a qantas flight, and the lounge attendant for whatever reason didn’t look it up?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: NZ G elite
I have had an issue before when travelling MEL-SYD-CHC on a Nz ticket, checking in early for the QF sector I was offered an earlier departing flight to SYD which I accepted, on arrival at the QF lounge was told no access because the lounge access is only for the qf/nz codeshare sector! Check in staff made no mention of this in fact at the time did not even know if lounge was available, this was never a problem in the VA codeshare days, I now just travel direct on VA since the codeshare prices are ridiculous anyway...
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ViktorNavorski
I have had an issue before when travelling MEL-SYD-CHC on a Nz ticket, checking in early for the QF sector I was offered an earlier departing flight to SYD which I accepted, on arrival at the QF lounge was told no access because the lounge access is only for the qf/nz codeshare sector! Check in staff made no mention of this in fact at the time did not even know if lounge was available, this was never a problem in the VA codeshare days, I now just travel direct on VA since the codeshare prices are ridiculous anyway...
Denied access at QF MEL or QF SYD?
QF or NZ flight number MEL SYD?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:15 pm

QF dom lounge MEL, its a code share NZ ticket so Koru in SYD INT wasn’t a prob��
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

QF dom lounge MEL, its a code share NZ ticket so Koru in SYD INT wasn’t a prob��
For MEL SYD
NZ or QF flight number?
Class of travel?
Status?
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:32 pm

Was EY/works from memory ticketed through NZ using QF for the first sector with an NZ codeshare flight number also, I see it now says on the booking page under the view details tab that no freq flyer benefits apply to the melsyd sector not sure if it said this back when I did this flight, anyway just another reason to avoid the codeshare flights, Elite at the time also
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:46 pm

Was EY/works from memory ticketed through NZ using QF for the first sector with an NZ codeshare flight number also, I see it now says on the booking page under the view details tab that no freq flyer benefits apply to the melsyd sector not sure if it said this back when I did this flight, anyway just another reason to avoid the codeshare flights, Elite at the time also
Did the boarding pass for the earlier flight have a QF or a NZ flight number?

It is possible the earlier flight wasn't a codeshare flight so not lounge access. Not all QF domestic flights codeshare with NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.