Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ revenue ticket not combinable with Star Alliance redemption? Still no SQ

Old Dec 3, 19, 3:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG

Trying to redeem Airpoints for AKL-BNE-TPE, AKL-BNE in W class on NZ (Seat + Bag), BNE-TPE in I (business class for Star Alliance redemptions) on BR on a single ticket.

Was told they could only do X + I or I + I (or X/I+O where First Class is available), but not the "regular" Air NZ fare classes plus X/I/O. Is this really true?

Not able to book mixed class Star redemptions online is a pain already. In my case I have to pay extra taxes for having two tickets.

What's more painful is not able to redeem on SQ - even the call centre staff cannot see any SQ seats in the system, and it's been months since the problem arose. Yes SQ availability is a mystery - I can book Suites and more seats with AS miles than A3 and UA, go figure! But SQ is the second biggest Star carrier serving NZ, unable to use Airpoints on SQ really depreciates the value of the AP$.
Old Dec 3, 19, 3:37 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
No airline in the world can combine redemption tickets with revenue tickets.

NZ can issue mixed cabin itinerary but you will need to call them and pay a manual booking fee, $100 per booking.

As for SQ availability, yes, it's a myth. AV can also not see SQ inventory in this part of the world and I think it's in NZ and AV's interest to not release these seats, given that NZ needs to protect their own revenue and AV has ridiculously cheap redemption rate AU/NZ to Asia.
Old Dec 3, 19, 4:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
Thanks for your reply Xiaotung, let me clarify that I was trying to redeem AP$ for the NZ AKL-BNE segment as well. I don't know if tickets using AP$ on NZ metal is considered "revenue" tickets, as I won't be receiving AP$ and Status Points, even though the fare class is the same as if paid by cash.
Old Dec 3, 19, 5:30 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz View Post
Thanks for your reply Xiaotung, let me clarify that I was trying to redeem AP$ for the NZ AKL-BNE segment as well. I don't know if tickets using AP$ on NZ metal is considered "revenue" tickets, as I won't be receiving AP$ and Status Points, even though the fare class is the same as if paid by cash.
Yes, I meant I had never seen a ticket combining X, I, O class with any other ticket class, not to mention you can't issue S2S fares involving a partner airline (QF excepted).
Old Dec 3, 19, 6:46 am

Programs: NZ
Yes, if you want to combine an NZ flight with a *A flight in a single booking/ticket then the NZ sector must come from the *A redemption booking class - X. So, X + I is correct. Alternatively you could book two separate tickets, but if the connection is tight then I wouldn't recommend it.

SQ - I booked SIN/AKL on SQ in F using the online booking portal on 12 September this year. About a week or so later there were no SQ seats to be found via the online portal. I haven't heard any reasonable reason for this yet. As you say plenty of SQ award availability via AS and other *A carriers.

Search this Thread