Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ bans customer for flying for 1 year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ bans customer for flying for 1 year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by McRabbit
Garykung is right - it appears that the Court decision was based on the documents filed in an injunction case. What these and other witnesses might say in person, and especially when cross-examined, is for another day.
Are we gong to see an Appeal?
Is Ms.Sharma's nose so far out of joint that she is going to launch a civic action against Air NZ?
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:27 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by garykung
British court system assess costs per court session. So even a case has merits, the prevailing party may still have to pay costs for unsuccessful sessions.
For sure. The current prevailing party would only pay should they no longer be the prevailing party in the event their is a subsequent hearing.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by taupo
If that is not the full Judgement, what is missing in the link provided from the Judgement of Paul Davison delivered February 21st, 2020?
Or do you mean that the Judgement in the link provided is the full Judgement, but was regarding an injunction as opposed to a trial arguing the facts of the travel ban?
Two very different things.
It is NOT the full judgment.

Davison J has stated in para. 98:

"Moreover, I agree with the submission made for the respondent that as the substantive hearing is likely to take place after the expiry of the ban, the applicant will then be able to use the respondent’s air service to travel directly between Nelson and Auckland."

The Court has made this clear that this has not been over. Per the Judgment, the ban expires as early as in July 2020. So the claim will be adjudicated by then.

Had Davison felt that Air NZ's position lacked merit, then he would have made a different decision.
Davison J has stated in para. 94:

"Weighing the competing interests, I find that the balance of convenience in this case strongly favours the respondent, and not making an order which would remove the ban it has imposed on the applicant pending determination of the applicant’s claim. Furthermore, should the applicant succeed in establishing her claim, any loss caused by a breach of contract can be adequately compensated by way of damages."

Also - I found this practice is quite normal for British's legal system. While the U.S. legal system will deny an injunction based on the likelihood of prevailing, the British's system does not work that way. About a few months ago, I was able to observe a high profile case in Hong Kong that the trial court deny the interim injunctive reliefs (which I thought the case was coming to an ugly ending). Yet, the party applying the the reliefs is the prevailing party of the entire case.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
It is NOT the full judgment.

Davison J has stated in para. 98:

"Moreover, I agree with the submission made for the respondent that as the substantive hearing is likely to take place after the expiry of the ban, the applicant will then be able to use the respondent’s air service to travel directly between Nelson and Auckland."

The Court has made this clear that this has not been over. Per the Judgment, the ban expires as early as in July 2020. So the claim will be adjudicated by then.

Davison J has stated in para. 94:

"Weighing the competing interests, I find that the balance of convenience in this case strongly favours the respondent, and not making an order which would remove the ban it has imposed on the applicant pending determination of the applicant’s claim. Furthermore, should the applicant succeed in establishing her claim, any loss caused by a breach of contract can be adequately compensated by way of damages."

Also - I found this practice is quite normal for British's legal system. While the U.S. legal system will deny an injunction based on the likelihood of prevailing, the British's system does not work that way. About a few months ago, I was able to observe a high profile case in Hong Kong that the trial court deny the interim injunctive reliefs (which I thought the case was coming to an ugly ending). Yet, the party applying the the reliefs is the prevailing party of the entire case.
Interesting, thank you.
Through the course of business I have been and am involved in a lot of litigation, always the Appellant, and never starting litigation unless I know by a balance of all probabilities that I would prevail.
One thing I learned a long time ago in litigation is to NOT be ruled by emotion or ego, only factual information that can be supported by evidence. Hence my success rate.

The case of Sharma is all about ego and emotion, these can blind people. In the event Sharma decides to pursue an action against Air NZ, it will be an interesting one to follow.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 7:12 pm

The case of Sharma is all about ego and emotion, these can blind people. In the event Sharma decides to pursue an action against Air NZ, it will be an interesting one to follow.
What's the saying?
Lawyers make the worst clients of lawyers.
taupo and Beano like this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I hope Ms Sharma enjoys a JQ fuselage.... no, wait. i hope she likes her car, the Cook St Ferry and the road to CHC. I have no sympathy and she deserves everything she gets. Good on you AirNZ.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: Koru (Life), Airpoints G*E, Qantas FF(LG)
As of today, the Air NZ online information about the regional lounge at Nelson states as its complete description of entitlement to access (nothing at all about ticket stock):

Access
Airpoints Elite, Gold, Elite Partner and Koru members departing on an Air New Zealand flight (no more than four hours prior to flight departure).”

From the judgment, it appears that Ms Sharma was a Koru member. She had “an accumulation” of Airpoints but her status is not given.

The banning action was solely about her personally. It does not appear that any of the other family members has been banned.

But she is accused of wrongfully claiming a right to enter. Who would not become angry at being alleged to have entered without being entitled.

The racist and hate-filled attitudes of some commentators on this site are offensive. I hope never to fly with them on board or in the lounge.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 11:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Anybody can pick and choose single sentence statements to back their claim like you're trying to do. I'll simply post the main Koru page which makes access rules very clear including references to ticket stock -
​​​https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/lounges
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:03 am

As of today, the Air NZ online information about the regional lounge at Nelson states as its complete description of entitlement to access (nothing at all about ticket stock):

Access
Airpoints Elite, Gold, Elite Partner and Koru members departing on an Air New Zealand flight (no more than four hours prior to flight departure).”

From the judgment, it appears that Ms Sharma was a Koru member. She had “an accumulation” of Airpoints but her status is not given.

The banning action was solely about her personally. It does not appear that any of the other family members has been banned.

But she is accused of wrongfully claiming a right to enter. Who would not become angry at being alleged to have entered without being entitled.

The racist and hate-filled attitudes of some commentators on this site are offensive. I hope never to fly with them on board or in the lounge.
Hmm my understanding was that she was on a SQ codeshare flight not NZ flight?
Additionally the court document talked about access through bunisses not Koru.

I guess she was the one who abused the staff and given the court document it was based off a history of her behaviour. So guess the rest of the family didn't get banned as they didn't abuse the staff and didn't have a history..

There is a difference about being annoyed about being denied longue access and staying respectful vs losing your cool and abusing staff.

Last edited by nzkarit; Feb 25, 2020 at 1:09 am
Old Feb 25, 2020, 1:55 am

Programs: QF WP
Regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, I’m not sure that the Nelson Koru lounge would be the hill I’d choose to die on
renila, BadgerBoi, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Missed this.

Are we gong to see an Appeal?
Unlikely. Interim relief order is generally not appealable.

Is Ms.Sharma's nose so far out of joint that she is going to launch a civic action against Air NZ?
This is a civil action against NZ. The judgment only represented the interim relief so far.

In term of a civic action, I am not sure what you mean. But as a SOE, I do believe the NZ Parliament may have some says.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 4:37 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF-G, EK-P

Access

Nothing here seems racist or hateful. Whose posts are you referring to?
Not liking someone’s behaviour based on a supplied court document doesn’t to me qualify as either.. flippant perhaps but hardly racist or hateful.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet

Access

I suspect that the feeling is probably mutual if you find her/their actions defensible.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:32 am

Access

Obviously you have a relationship to the defendant. You joined just to post in this thread, and have only posted in this read. Coincidence?
deeruck, WLGNZ, Silver Fox and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 11:03 am

Anger is a response chosen by Sharma. How we respond to anything in life is a choice on our part. Her angry response says more about her than the person who challenged her.
Please show the quotes that are racist and hate filled.
I reread the comments from others, do not see anything racist or hate filled.
Your commentary about comments being racist when none exist would point to a victim mentality, or grasping at straws.

We all need to hold ourselves accountable in life, and when we don't others need to for us.
wrp96 and Lpmnz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.