Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Domestic a320 swap out

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Domestic a320 swap out

Just ended up crammed in a middle seat (airline kindly selected this seat for me) in 5E on CHC - AKL which normally is bearable with space plus

But plane has been swapped out for a Trans Tasman version where there is no space plus on the right side of the plane

Forgot how uncomfortable these planes are and how tired the interiors are

Two questions
1 is there any way to tell in advance that you've got one of these planes?
2 I wasn't able to select my seat on check-in, this has happened a lot recently. Is that a new thing that they insist on selecting your seat for you?

Thanks

(And to make things worse they're playing the All Blacks safety vid. Thought that one had been retired)
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
I believe the seat map rows on the right start at 1DEF on the TT version and the domestic version starts as 2DEF. Probably easiest way to figure it out.
Old Nov 17, 2019, 11:28 pm

Well looking at the seat map when you book gives and indication which of the two CEO there are.

Flight Radar will also tell you which plane it is.

When the flights get over X% full think they lock seat select but can look at expert flyer and hit them up on Twitter DMs. Did this to move from row 15 to row4 at T-48ish
Old Nov 18, 2019, 1:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
As mentioned the seat select at booking is the way to tell the difference. You're seeing these aircraft on more domestics which was the plan with the new neo aircraft to fly TT. With the domestic A321s pushed back they might be around for a bit longer than planned, but you do realise how tired they are now.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 2:03 pm

On seat select when you hover over the seat it also tells you the seat pitch, so you don't even need to know about the 1DEF/2DEF trick.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
thanks for all the really helpful replies (as always!) now I know what to look for.

The problem is I often change flights late on with flexi and rely on the lounge or check in staff to give me the best seat, as mentioned above by the time I check in seat select is closed so you cant see the seat map!
I guess I could ask the lounge staff what kind of plane it is
Old Nov 20, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I just managed an aisle seat on my two flights yesterday but in row 21 and 18. Both flights packed and not shy of $1,000 for the return trip!
And one of the flights was the Tasman version. Fortunately we managed to miss the horrendous storm that hit CHC yesterday afternoon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.