FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Confused about Tasman Economy options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1994467-confused-about-tasman-economy-options.html)

jasdou Nov 7, 2019 9:20 am

Confused about Tasman Economy options

I am trying to make sense of the various options available when flying economy CHC-SYD. I am *G and will be flying with my wife and 4 years old daughter. When I look at airnewzealand.co.nz, I get offered various fare options (seat, seat+bag, theworks and worksdeluxe). What is included in each of these is clearly laid out, with prices ranging from 225-365 NZD. When I look at airnewzealand.ca, there is only one option offered, called "economy", priced at 225 CAD/269 NZD with no details about what is included in terms of meals, booze, etc.

Given that the price on the Canadian version of the site is more or less the same as the price for a "theworks" fare on the NZ version of the site, is that what I would be booking? Also, will Air New Zeland allow me to book from the NZ version of the site from Canada?

I've never flown NZ so I am thankful for the help!

sbiddle Nov 7, 2019 9:40 am

Bookings on any site outside NZ or Australia include a meal and a single bag (and you'll get an extra free as *G).

Once you click on economy it shows what your airfare includes and if your click on baggage info it provides details of your baggage info.

There are no restrictions on which site you use.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...64deaa39a6.jpg

findark Nov 7, 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 31711584)
I am trying to make sense of the various options available when flying economy CHC-SYD. I am *G and will be flying with my wife and 4 years old daughter. When I look at airnewzealand.co.nz, I get offered various fare options (seat, seat+bag, theworks and worksdeluxe). What is included in each of these is clearly laid out, with prices ranging from 225-365 NZD. When I look at airnewzealand.ca, there is only one option offered, called "economy", priced at 225 CAD/269 NZD with no details about what is included in terms of meals, booze, etc.

Given that the price on the Canadian version of the site is more or less the same as the price for a "theworks" fare on the NZ version of the site, is that what I would be booking? Also, will Air New Zeland allow me to book from the NZ version of the site from Canada?

I've never flown NZ so I am thankful for the help!

"Economy" on .com/.ca or other foreign domains == " The Works". *A awards (X) also book as Works. IME .co.nz is usually a bit cheaper but it's been a while since I have booked a standalone NZ flight :) Branded fare implementations tend to be non-standard against the GDS, and I don't believe NZ has any way to ticket seat-to-suit unless you are buying direct.

jasdou Nov 7, 2019 11:21 am

Thanks for the replies!

Being *G, if I book the cheapest fare on .co.nz ("seat" branded fare), I would still get a checked bag, preferred seat selection, priority boarding and lounge access in CHC, right?

sbiddle Nov 7, 2019 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 31712028)
Thanks for the replies!

Being *G, if I book the cheapest fare on .co.nz ("seat" branded fare), I would still get a checked bag, preferred seat selection, priority boarding and lounge access in CHC, right?

No you will not get a bag as you booked a seat only fare. Luggage rules apply to the fare basis, *G luggage benefit of an extra bag only applies where you have an existing fare where the fare basis allows a bag. Other benefits do apply.

*G will give you a 2nd bag free if you book a seat+bag fare.

LyingFlat Nov 7, 2019 11:32 am

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 31712028)
Thanks for the replies!

Yes to all of that except the baggage. You only get an extra checked bag if your ticket had a checked bag included (i.e. Seat+Bag fare or above).

jasdou Nov 7, 2019 11:40 am

Again, thanks for the information. I believe I have all this figured out now!

Since we will ne to check one bag, it does seem like booking through the .ca version of the site is the better deal for us.

findark Nov 7, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat (Post 31712071)
Yes to all of that except the baggage. You only get an extra checked bag if your ticket had a checked bag included (i.e. Seat+Bag fare or above).

Do *G get seat select on a Seat fare? Thought answer was no.

sbiddle Nov 7, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31712368)

Unless things have changed very recently the answer is yes - and they get to access HVC seats which is still a huge benefit as preferred seating is no longer a marketed *A benefit of *G

Thai-Kiwi Nov 8, 2019 2:38 am

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31712368)

Yes we do :). As a TG*G I consistently can access the HVC seating during booking on NZ flights. However, this access disappears when using Manage my Booking, however call centre staff can still see your *G status. All a bit flakey, but as sbiddle notes - a nice benefit. Long may it last......

findark Nov 8, 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31714378)
Yes we do :). As a TG*G I consistently can access the HVC seating during booking on NZ flights. However, this access disappears when using Manage my Booking, however call centre staff can still see your *G status. All a bit flakey, but as sbiddle notes - a nice benefit. Long may it last......

Thanks. Usually connecting overwater so it's moot but that's good to know. I am definitely very appreciative that NZ treats OAL *G well :)

mad_atta Nov 8, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 31712100)

Since we will need to check one bag, it does seem like booking through the .ca version of the site is the better deal for us.

In your case it probably is, but another thing worth knowing is that on the .nz and .au sites, you can mix fares on a booking, eg have one person in Seat+bag and one in Seat only. The trick is to ensure the *G is the one who is booked on the baggage inclusive fare, so then they get 2 checked bags for free - handy if travelling as a couple.

Thai-Kiwi Nov 9, 2019 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta (Post 31717653)
In your case it probably is, but another thing worth knowing is that on the .nz and .au sites, you can mix fares on a booking, eg have one person in Seat+bag and one in Seat only. The trick is to ensure the *G is the one who is booked on the baggage inclusive fare, so then they get 2 checked bags for free - handy if travelling as a couple.

Do this all the time if travelling domestically with Mrs TK and our plans are firm.

ukflyer1 Nov 10, 2019 2:15 am

Originally Posted by jasdou (Post 31712100)

Since we will ne to check one bag, it does seem like booking through the .ca version of the site is the better deal for us.

Ending up with the works means you also get food on the flight (may or may not be useful depending on your eating habits and plans beforehand) and access to movies on the plane (again may or may not be useful).

LAX Jan 3, 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31712704)
Unless things have changed very recently the answer is yes - and they get to access HVC seats which is still a huge benefit as preferred seating is no longer a marketed *A benefit of *G

Is this a published benefit or YMMV? I am thinking about booking the Economy Sweet Deal fare, which normally does not include free advanced seat assignment, correct? Plus, if I travel with family on the same PNR, will they get free advanced seat assignment as well? TIA.

LAX