FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Airport paid upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1994101-airport-paid-upgrade.html)

Hector99 Nov 4, 2019 1:56 pm

Airport paid upgrade

Does anyone know if you pay for an upgrade from pe to j (cash) after check in (in the lounge) you get the original pe apd earn or the new j earn?

was done 30 pre take off
thanks

samyoull Nov 4, 2019 3:47 pm

What fare bucket did the upgrade ticket into?

Hector99 Nov 5, 2019 12:29 pm

Unsure what class as it disappeared off my app and log in by the time I landed.

got this from Air NZ tho:

Upgrades requested at check-in or at any of our Lounges are based on set fees, which vary depending on the route and the cabin class you wish to upgrade to. To fully accrue both Airpoints Dollars and Status Points as per the new cabin, the full fare difference between the fare purchased and the best availability on the flight has to be covered. In your case, you will still earn at the rate of the original issued ticket in Premium Economy.

trooper Nov 5, 2019 12:42 pm

I can't find any info on these upgrades... anyone got a link?

sbiddle Nov 5, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 31704610)
I can't find any info on these upgrades... anyone got a link?

Air NZ offer (and have done for many years - it's something most airlines offer) fixed price upgrades at the airport to PE or BP. Price depends on the booking class you're booked into. You won't find anything online about this.

Thai-Kiwi Nov 5, 2019 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31704658)
Air NZ offer (and have done for many years - it's something most airlines offer) fixed price upgrades at the airport to PE or BP. Price depends on the booking class you're booked into. You won't find anything online about this.

How do these interact with pending OneUp bids?

nzkarit Nov 5, 2019 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31705795)

Assume they trump them, as is a revenue sale.

trooper Nov 6, 2019 12:32 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle (Post 31704658)

Thanks!

mcgma760 Nov 27, 2019 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31705795)

In my experience all my OneUps have been approved/rejected by check-in (bar one), so it's a great opportunity to try and secure your upgrade.

mcgma760 Nov 27, 2019 5:05 am

A touch cheeky of me, but I snapped this photo in October at AIA when flying BP to DPS. I asked specifically about paid upgrades and they were pretty open about it - although some of the prices on here are a touch hefty in my honest opinion. Hope the quality is readable.

Enjoy

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...dea7a967b1.jpg

NZ_Flyer Nov 27, 2019 11:31 am

Hmmm so you could pay $199 for a TT upgrade to PE, save $1 and earn PE rates for SP’s and APD

Rebound Nov 27, 2019 11:54 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer (Post 31782968)
Hmmm so you could pay $199 for a TT upgrade to PE, save $1 and earn PE rates for SP’s and APD

Sometimes Economy earn rates are better than PE i've found on trans-tasman

Balancerider Nov 27, 2019 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer (Post 31782968)

If I understand correctly, I believe the earn rates are of the originally purchased fare (ie. Y)

brend Nov 28, 2019 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Balancerider (Post 31783196)
If I understand correctly, I believe the earn rates are of the originally purchased fare (ie. Y)

looking at the asia column, $2k to go from PE to Business. ouch!

BZNZ Nov 28, 2019 5:17 pm

Skycouch for 1 at $499, that's good to keep in the back of my mind. Pretty cheap for effectively a lie flat sleep on a long haul.