Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ Auckland International Lounge experiences

Air NZ Auckland International Lounge experiences

Old Oct 31, 19, 6:56 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
While I'm a champagne snob I'll actually defend Dulcet - IMHO it's perfectly drinkable served cold in a glass if you want a glass or two of bubbles.

The problem is served semi warm in a plastic cup (typical economy or premium economy flight) it's truly disgusting.
Old Oct 31, 19, 7:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Shamrock55 View Post

I am so so sick of the breakfast sausages that are there all the time in the morning and poor eggs, but the food is fine at lunchtime.
I'll provide an alternative opinion. For those of us who have dietary issues, simpler is better. I have coeliac disease and it's a real struggle finding food I can eat. Simpler is better. As soon as you start adding ingredients and making food "fancy", you ensure people cannot eat it. I appreciate people who have no dietary issues think they deserve the best food possible. But please understand that the more you get your preferred meals, the more other people cannot eat anything at all. I'm very limited in what I can eat in the lounges. If they catered to you, I would effectively be left with nothing to choose from. So, I just ask that you recognise you are not the only person hoping to eat something, anything. I would like to eat as well.
ottiehund likes this.
Old Oct 31, 19, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdavido View Post
If you have enough time, grab a cab and visit the Villa Maria Winery, only 5 min drive from AKL airport (you will need to clear customs tho)
Iíll actually be in Auckland for 2 1/2 days, but staying down by the harbor.

Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post

The wine quality is a bit variable, especially the reds, but there's usually a reasonably wide selection (at least 3 whites, which tend to be more reliable) and 2-3 reds. Not all the wines are Villa Maria group but the majority are. It's worth doing a bit of sampling to find what you like (eg recently they have had a Misha's Vineyard riesling which though a touch sweeter than my usual preference is a really exquisite wine), and do some digging as there are a couple of different wine stations in the lounge and they don't always have exactly the same things.
Thanks for that tip.
Old Nov 1, 19, 10:17 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
And related to wine, you can enjoy spotting the selfie crowd taking endless pictures of themselves drinking the awful Dulcet plonk they serve. Can be observed any time of the day or night!
Dulcet would be better being turned into an bio-fuel to be used on there aircraft.
NZbutterfly likes this.
Old Nov 6, 19, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jdavido View Post
If you have enough time, grab a cab and visit the Villa Maria Winery, only 5 min drive from AKL airport (you will need to clear customs tho)
Originally Posted by Chessboxin View Post
They have an ok selection of wines, often hit and miss in my experience.

If you want to learn a little about NZ wine there's a good documentary out called "A seat at the Table"

If you want any recommendations on wineries to visit in NZ I'm happy to assist.
I checked out ďA Seat at the TableĒ, but itís not available on Amazon Prime yet. It does seem like a movie that Iíd be interested in viewing.

Thanks for the suggestion of Villa Maria, jdavido.

Chessboxin, Iíll take you up on your offer, but to not run afoul of FT rules and get off topic, I started a wine thread in the Oceania Forum.

Auckland wineries

I want to thank everyone who posted here for their comments as they were very helpful.
Old Nov 10, 19, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by SeaProf View Post
So, I just ask that you recognise you are not the only person hoping to eat something, anything. I would like to eat as well.
Er, OK, sure, I do.
Old Nov 22, 19, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Just to update:

The lounge was fairly nice, but really crowded, about 2:00 in the afternoon. Food was decent as were the wines. Much better than on my UA flight.

Thanks for everyone’s responses.
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:30 am
azj

How strict are the lounge dragons with entry to the lounge in AKL? I'm *Gold, int'l transiting AKL in late afternoon/early evening with my family, a party of 3, flying PE. Then departing again a few weeks later on a late evening departure. Will they be strict on the *Gold + 1 guest?
Old Jan 11, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by azj View Post
How strict are the lounge dragons with entry to the lounge in AKL? I'm *Gold, int'l transiting AKL in late afternoon/early evening with my family, a party of 3, flying PE. Then departing again a few weeks later on a late evening departure. Will they be strict on the *Gold + 1 guest?
Yes. The only 1 guest allowed entitlement is strictly applied.

Children are free, up to two years, then they count as a guest.

Gold members may access any Air New Zealand, Star Alliance and partner airline lounge prior to departure on an Air New Zealand or Star Alliance operated flight along with our eligible partner flights.

As an Airpoints™ Gold member you may also invite one additional guest (travelling on the same service and subject to space) to join you in any Air New Zealand International, Domestic and Regional Lounge (excluding Koru Express, which does not allow guest entry), Star Alliance lounges and some partner lounges.

Please note that Star Alliance and Partner lounge access regulations stipulate that any travellers, including children aged two years old and over will be included as part of the member's guest allowance

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Jan 11, 20 at 11:42 am
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:51 pm
azj

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Yes. The only 1 guest allowed entitlement is strictly applied.

Children are free, up to two years, then they count as a guest.
Thanks. I understand the rules and often times limits have to be imposed, but splitting up a family seems silly. I guess we'll skip the lounge.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:17 pm

Thanks. I understand the rules and often times limits have to be imposed, but splitting up a family seems silly. I guess we'll skip the lounge.
Well, you could always buy a fare that includes lounge access...?
jawnbc and Outbound24 like this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:25 pm

The AKL international longue has been turning people away sending them to a different longue because of over crowding.
So yes they will be tight on the rules.
Old Jan 11, 20, 1:26 pm
azj

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Well, you could always buy a fare that includes lounge access...?
You're right, I could have done that. It's not feasible this trip, so I'll deal with the repercussions. If it means skipping the lounge, so be it.
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:22 pm

You're right, I could have done that. It's not feasible this trip, so I'll deal with the repercussions. If it means skipping the lounge, so be it.
There is a pay lounge at Auckland for the additional passenger, or all 3 as an option:

https://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/ea.../strata-lounge
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 11, 20, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I suggest you go to the lounge and ask nicely. If the lounge isnít busy you might well be allowed in, especially if your child is young.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: