Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

AA starting seasonal LAX-CHC and DFW-AKL in 2020

Old Oct 28, 19, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA Plat, NZ Jade

"American will fly to CHC three times per week from October 2020 through March 2021 on a Boeing 787-8."

I know they’ve tried before but would NZ have a look at competing with this when their 777 fleet reshuffles from the LHR closure?

Newsroom - American Airlines Becomes the Only Carrier to Fly from the U.S. to the South Island of New Zealand - American Airlines Group, Inc.
Old Oct 28, 19, 1:24 pm

AirAuckland won't compete as flight not from Auckland.

The extra 773 not doing LHR will likely cover a 789v2 (or cover a 772 to cover the 789v2) to Asia (if had to guess SIN as that often gets a 789v2), so they have enough 789v2 to do EWR, ORD, etc where the 789s range is needed.
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:13 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
The extra 773 will do Houston
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
And unlike the CX and SQ flights where Air Auckland have been able to exert pressure (for example to resist the CX flight from CHC going all year) they will have no influence over this one

Kind of ironic when Air Auckland is now reaping what it sowed with Auckland Airports monopoly since its made itself fully dependent on AKL,instead of hubbing some flights via CHC

Looking forward to trying this flight out next year!
Old Oct 28, 19, 2:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ *S,
Also DFW to AKl Direct

AA are also doing DFW to AKL Direct - this will give Air NZ a kick up the bum

OriginDestinationDeparture Time*Arrival Time*Season

DFWAKL10:30 p.m.7:40 a.m./8:40 a.m.
(+2 days)Oct. 25, 2020–March 25, 2021
3 x weekly through Nov. 29
Daily starting Dec. 1

AKLDFW11:15 a.m./12:15 p.m.7:10 a.m.Oct. 27, 2020–March 27, 2021
3 x weekly through Nov. 29
Daily starting Dec. 3

LAXCHC11:30 p.m.9:25 a.m./10:25 a.m.Oct. 25, 2020–March 24, 2021
3 x weekly

CHCLAX1:10 p.m./2:10 p.m.6 a.m.Oct. 27, 2020–March 26, 2021
3x weekly
Old Oct 28, 19, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
AirAuckland won't compete as flight not from Auckland.

The extra 773 not doing LHR will likely cover a 789v2 (or cover a 772 to cover the 789v2) to Asia (if had to guess SIN as that often gets a 789v2), so they have enough 789v2 to do EWR, ORD, etc where the 789s range is needed.
But AmericanAirlines AKL-DFW will compete with AirAuckland AKL-IAH
Link--> Great Circle Mapper
AA flying into its home base, means a lot of other cities possible with a connection. DFW/IAH are not the destination for many people:- just a transit airport.

AA forum thread AA launching DFW-AKL and LAX-CHC in 2020

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Oct 28, 19 at 3:34 pm
Old Oct 28, 19, 4:10 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post

Looking forward to trying this flight out next year!
For me, that certainly makes getting to Dunedin easier but having to fly an American-based airline is not appealing at all. I avoid them like the plague when flying internationally.
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
This might throw a wrench in my planes to maintain status with Air NZ 😉 but probably not. My family relies on my status to gift APDs so even if it adds a couple of hours onto the trip, I'll probably fly with Air NZ enough to get status and then consider if these flights add up with my schedule. Its exciting to have more competition.

A big question is what time will these fly. The akl to LAX 11am flight was never a flight I even considered because the timing is awful. NZ to the USA is best done as a nighttime flight.

Edit: did I just see that it leaves at 1pm? Blegh that is not a flight time I would appreciate at all. That is a shame I would really love an overnight lax flight!

Last edited by kiwifrequentflyer; Oct 28, 19 at 8:36 pm
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
....A big question is what time will these fly. The AKL to LAX 11am flight was never a flight I even considered because the timing is awful. NZ to the USA is best done as a night time flight.
Post 5 above or the link--> Newsroom - American Airlines Becomes the Only Carrier to Fly from the U.S. to the South Island of New Zealand - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Departure (varys with day light saving)
AKL DFW 11:15 a.m./12:15 p.m
CHC LAX 1:10 p.m./2:10 p.m.
Old Oct 28, 19, 8:37 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Post 5 above or the link--> Newsroom - American Airlines Becomes the Only Carrier to Fly from the U.S. to the South Island of New Zealand - American Airlines Group, Inc.

Departure (varys with day light saving)
AKL DFW 11:15 a.m./12:15 p.m
CHC LAX 1:10 p.m./2:10 p.m.
Yeah I just edited my post now to say I am less than impressed with that flight time. If we leave at 1pm, we arrive at bedtime our time... But its 6am there. That's an awful flight for adjusting to time zones.
Old Oct 28, 19, 11:42 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G (Elite), QF bronze, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
This is a surprisingly bold move from AA! Especially the CHC flight in the face of what seems now to be a declining market. Is this one of the fruits of QF and AA's partnership across the Pacific being renewed? Or totally unrelated?
Old Oct 29, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I couldn't help but laugh on RNZ this evening where they said LAX-AKL was one of AA's most successful and profitable routes. Clearly somebody drank too much koolaid.

These routes are a direct result of the QF/AA JV.
samyoull likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 3:14 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Anybody see AA marketing the AA web economy special for 6k US-NZ? Basically amounted to ~163NZD one way + taxes ~ NZD40. Never seen NZ advertise anything that low! Of course it was all snapped up within a few hrs or less. Saw it was available for ~ 10k RT.

NZ's a great place to be during summer so no need to fly North unfortunately!

Anyway, that is some SERIOUS competition!!!

I suspect AA on the 787 is pretty good in J, but NZ probably wins out in PE, and Y given the twin seat and sky couch options with 787's generally known to be a bit squishy. Will be interested to see what the pricing is like. Pretty good on the one way from AKL.
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 19, 4:49 am

Programs: NZ*S, QF, Koru bro
What are they going to do re. Lounge access at Chc?? Pretty avg shared lounge there now I thought...
Old Oct 29, 19, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
This might throw a wrench in my planes
Wherever else you may throw your wrench - don't throw it in your planes!

Search this Thread