Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ based, Airpoints or Krisflyer?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2019, 3:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ellice
Unfortunately the options out of NZ are somewhat limited due to the lack of competition and timing of connections compared to other markets. This can be a factor if you are travelling for work. As you say though there are options re where to credit, which is what the OP was originally asking.
I think this is the biggest problem with NZ, which is painfully obvious to many people.

Most of us complain about Air NZ, but stick with Air NZ (or another Star Alliance Airline) anyways, simply due to availability of competition, connections and direct flights.

Originally Posted by edmm
Agree entirely with sbiddle, in reality you need to spend at least $15,000, and if you live in provincial NZ the cost is higher.
Agreed, i am paying about 600 for a return trip to Blenheim soon, that only gets me 29 status points, chasing the status with NZ domestic flights is costly...

Originally Posted by sbiddle
810 SP can be obtained for around $6k if you wanted to do it the hard way sitting on a plane on high SP routes.
Mind sharing some tips and experience on how this can be achieved?

Anyways, i thought I might attempt to chase a gold status with Cathay Pacific. Some of the TT flights could be done on Qantas which can be credited to that.

I will just use the Air NZ Airpoints earned on Credit card and domestic flights to buy a Koru Membership every year.

Is there anyone here doing something similar?
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:52 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I think I knew that--and it's not a terrible alternative. But what about status points? And there are lots of businesses that only take Visa or Mastercard in NZ. I get tons of status points on my Kiwibank M/C.

Originally Posted by Ellice
You can transfer Amex Membership rewards into SQ krisflyer. That's one of the amex nz transfer partners.
You can also purchase via the krisflyer mall and get krisflyer miles like that based from NZ.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by jawnbc
I think I knew that--and it's not a terrible alternative. But what about status points? And there are lots of businesses that only take Visa or Mastercard in NZ. I get tons of status points on my Kiwibank M/C.
You have both. Amex for when it's accepted, mastercard for when it's not. The earn rate on Amex is superior and it has other benefits too. But Kiwibanks mastercard let's you buy airpoints to top up. Both are good.
jawnbc and Ellice like this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
I fly about 6 times a year to Europe, normally with a stopover in Asia. I also have an Airpoints AMEX card. I use CX as my main FF programme, but also use Asiana (OZ) for my Star Alliance travelling.
NZ is pretty mean in accruing miles on cheaper star alliance fares, but with OZ you only need 40,000 miles over two years to qualify for Gold. I get enough Airpoints via the credit card spend, and I tend to use those for basic WLG-AKL flights on NZ.
It depends on what you value-I like access to lounges so Gold on Star Alliance is useful to me. I also often travel via SYD rather than AKL, from WLG to Asia, and the lounges in SYD are nicer than in AKL for international travel.
poopbunny likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I value sleep over lounges. And so as most Australian connections require a 6am flight if your NZ port is Christchurch: my loyalty will have to remain with airlines that leave from Auckland (or Christchurch)
Old Nov 2, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: CX Diamond; OZ Diamond;QF
Fair Enough!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: RFC
Originally Posted by drakeooo
I am based in Auckland, currently with Airpoints and usually hit Gold every year but not really close to Elite.

My flight pattern every year is similar
6-8 Domestic flights, economy class
4-5 Trans Tasman flights, a mix of prem economy and economy
2-3 long haul, to USA (mainly LA) /Europe, mixed Business / Prem Economy

Or any other alternatives?
As others have said, it's going to depend *exactly* what it is you want from a programme and what class of tickets you're buying.

Taking what you've said above at face value and assuming mid-range/code tickets, I'd actually suggest looking at either Aegean Airline's FF programme (if you want to stay in *A) or Alaska Airline's programme if you're open to being alliance agnostic.

Aegean has low a threshold for Gold, very low retention threshold, and decent earn rates. Burn rates aren't too bad for *A. They are Greek, so the way the programme works in practice (Cards not showing up, the website not working randomly) is often hilarious, but they realize they're crap administratively and don't mind email or calls to get problems solved.

Alaska has partnerships with a variety of airlines that work well for NZ-based intl fliers. Good earn overall - often better earn than within the respective airline alliance earn rates - and decent burn. You won't get much in the way of benefits beyond earn & burn though unless you're flying inside the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.