Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

Old Feb 24, 20, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by zoovet View Post
The Vancouver flight was definitely a 789, with 3 rows of Bus seats rather than four.
Was referring to if they needed to swap out due to TEN issues. As thought with SIN was that with the TEN issues didn't want to upgrade people if needed to swap into the v1 789.
Old Feb 25, 20, 6:17 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by zoovet View Post
Yesterday I successfully used new RUs on a return Vancouver flight next January from PE to Bus with immediate confirmation. I then rang AirNZ to see if anything had changed regarding the Singapore requested upgrades, but nothing had. The Vancouver flights use the 789 but with the enlarged premium classes, while the plane for Singapore also uses the 789 but with the smaller premium classes. In view of previous comments, it would seem that AirNZ have stopped instant confirmation of upgrades on the smaller 789, until closer to the flight maybe, while 789 flights using the "larger" 789 is currently still available for instant confirmation on R class.
It could be possible that itís a route specific thing due to capacity. I say this as I was on a 787 V2 with bigger premium cabins a week or so ago AKL-SIN and the day before they changed it to a 787 V1 so there were a bunch of involuntary downgrades which caused some obvious irate pax. So I wonder if theyíve stopped R class on this route due to regular equipment swaps meaning they need to downgrade the upgraded pax quite regularly?
Old Mar 1, 20, 7:34 pm

Interestingly today I called and looked for availability R class AKL-MEL and MEL-AKL - nothing for weeks on end in June/July/Aug - the premium team member was good enough to check literally tens of flights and no R class - many flights had A bit no R despite the flights showing business class at lower end of pricing range. I wonder whether due to uncertainty of which planes will be flying where due to nCOV situation? or perhaps made unavailable during current sale?
Old Mar 1, 20, 8:24 pm

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
It could be possible that itís a route specific thing due to capacity. I say this as I was on a 787 V2 with bigger premium cabins a week or so ago AKL-SIN and the day before they changed it to a 787 V1 so there were a bunch of involuntary downgrades which caused some obvious irate pax. So I wonder if theyíve stopped R class on this route due to regular equipment swaps meaning they need to downgrade the upgraded pax quite regularly?
I looked at R class for flights in July and they had R class available on the midday/morning flight but not the evening. At least 2-3 days around when I wanted were available?
Old Mar 2, 20, 12:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
So once again they've switched the return SIN-AKL on Thursday from a V2 to a V1 and Business and PE were both showing more allocated seats that V1 has in both cabins...so I feel sorry for the crew having to deal with more invol downgrades - unless they move people onto one of the SQ flights.
Old Mar 2, 20, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by drajknox View Post
Interestingly today I called and looked for availability R class AKL-MEL and MEL-AKL - nothing for weeks on end in June/July/Aug - the premium team member was good enough to check literally tens of flights and no R class - many flights had A bit no R despite the flights showing business class at lower end of pricing range. I wonder whether due to uncertainty of which planes will be flying where due to nCOV situation? or perhaps made unavailable during current sale?
Just called again and agent tried all of JUN/JUL/AUG for flights to MEL and SYD - no R Class, some scattered A class. Difficult to believe this far out that all R class on these routes has been booked - Iíve never experienced this before and have frequently upgraded to R class to MEL this far ahead without much difficulty. Either something has significantly changed or this is deep discount sale or Coronavirus uncertainty related - possibly the latter as some of the dates they checked were excluded from the sale.
Old Mar 2, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by drajknox View Post
Just called again and agent tried all of JUN/JUL/AUG for flights to MEL and SYD - no R Class, some scattered A class. Difficult to believe this far out that all R class on these routes has been booked - Iíve never experienced this before and have frequently upgraded to R class to MEL this far ahead without much difficulty. Either something has significantly changed or this is deep discount sale or Coronavirus uncertainty related - possibly the latter as some of the dates they checked were excluded from the sale.
I booked a WLG-SYD via AKL in June during the big intl sale just to use my shorthaul RU earlier in the year when they were advertising $75 domestic addons for all international flights. I was surprised that there was no R available then so far out.

As it turns out that whole promotion probably fell foul of the fair trading act as their fare rules prohibit domestic connection addons on main trunk jet services in conjunction with TT travel, and by the time I'd collected a huge list of routes where it was impossible to book $75 addons (in part because Air NZ make zero availability of the required fare classes on early morning WLG-AKL) they were on the phone to me offering it to book it for me.
Old Yesterday, 7:46 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by BZNZ View Post
I'm starting to wonder whether they aren't releasing R class on 787 routes only. It seems to be the common denominator in the reports so far.
Well due to the current situation I was looking into the fare rules for my flight from PVG-AKL in October.

Interestingly, found out in the fare rules of my ticket that it wasn't eligible for confirmed upgrades which I haven't come across before and probably explains why there was no R class availability for my PVG-AKL flight.

https://www.airnewzealand.com.cn/glo...are-conditions

I had booked this as a one way out of Shanghai last year, so I wonder if this is new, and if any other countries fare rules include this. I checked the .co.nz site, seems like it's unique to the China website.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: