Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

R class not available Singapore to Auckland?

Old Jan 12, 20, 8:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
In my experience not all PE upgrades will clear just because A is showing as a promo fare. I've had times where it has, and other times (such as my saga I posted about last year where A class kept appearing overnight every night for 5 days and then kept disappearing) where I lodged upgrades that didn't clear immediately that I then called and they were cleared manually.

In both cases CSRs couldn't understand how I could see there was A class availability just by looking on the Air NZ website.
So had to call twice. First time meh. Second time for a great Premium agent who was very perplexed why it hadn’t gone through. When she tried to manually clear it she couldn’t. So she ended up reserving 2x A class and said for some reason the system wasn’t working as it should and she would have to sent it to the ticketing team to manually re-issue the ticket in PE. Strange.

I’m wondering if they’re getting ready to do some “enhancements” to the Elite benefit of 365 days in advance confirmable upgrades, and putting in place the system rules before making anything public.

Last edited by NZ_Flyer; Jan 12, 20 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 12, 20, 9:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I think there are enough comments from people on here to realise something has to be changing.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
One last thing weird thing: I used an Elite Shorthaul RU on a 787 ADL-AKL flight today. It cleared straight away to Business...but the person who looked up R class for me was stunned. That flight had R11 showing...
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:18 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
I’m wondering if they’re getting ready to do some “enhancements” to the Elite benefit of 365 days in advance confirmable upgrades, and putting in place the system rules before making anything public.
Do you mean an enhancement with value to Elites, or an “enhancement” that further devalues the programme?
Old Jan 13, 20, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E
AirNZs "reply"

I did send an email to AirNZ asking if their policy regarding RUs and Companion fares in Business Class had changed because R class was seemigly no longer available. The (prompt) reply didn't help at all, with noted comments that load factors would affect availability (hardly a factor when bookings were being attempted 350 days prior to travel as soon as booking opened) or that booking Companion fares depended on the ticket class (hardly a factor when attempting to book a matching business class seat to a fully paid fare). The email stated that the only way to find out if R class is available, is to inquire by phone to a booking agent.
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ Gold A3 Gold Expedia Gold+
Am not sure what R Class is but if equates to reward seats? then thru my A3 account shows reward seat availabilty Auckland/Singapore most months and days thru to end of year on Air NZ and Singapore
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
I picked up 2 X R class today.
Early May both on 77W
1 X AKL - SFO. 1 X SFO - AKL
Old Jan 13, 20, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by ClanJ View Post
Am not sure what R Class is but if equates to reward seats? then thru my A3 account shows reward seat availabilty Auckland/Singapore most months and days thru to end of year on Air NZ and Singapore
R is an internal only facing code for a specific type of AirNZ uses.

Cheap companion fares & immediate elite upgrades.

R coded seats aren't exposed to GDS or other airlines.
Old Jan 14, 20, 12:49 am

I recently booked return R class to North America for travel in June. Final destinations are MSP/YYC which gives multiple routing options - only R class availabilities over multiple dates were on 777 metal. Nothing for 787.

I’ve transited IAH multiple times but never been through ORD so the thought of a new airport and 787 was appealing, but by all accounts the IAH transit experience is probably superior, especially if I get 8hrs sleep prior.
Old Jan 14, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer View Post
So had to call twice. First time meh. Second time for a great Premium agent who was very perplexed why it hadn’t gone through. When she tried to manually clear it she couldn’t. So she ended up reserving 2x A class and said for some reason the system wasn’t working as it should and she would have to sent it to the ticketing team to manually re-issue the ticket in PE. Strange.

I'm having a mare too with A class tickets. 1st guy was great, put them on hold while they sorted a few complexities with the booking (RUs from two different accounts); the second cal to clear them she said the system has changed and as a result they aren't clearing straight away. I'm about to get on the phone the 3rd time to sort it out...
Beano likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 3:02 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Tried akl-eze this morning for next xmas ish time. Nothing for the whole month (787).
csr said r class released in batches and robot will ‘sweep every few weeks’ to clear them.
assured me if someone else called up on the day r class were released they would be unable to nab them. ‘Yeah right’

on the other hand qf had bookable I class (points j) available from syd to scl.

as my end destination is GIG no surprises who
i booked with
Old Jan 14, 20, 6:01 pm

Programs: NZ Elite
Spoke to an agent today for R class availability for AKL - IAH / LAX in July / August.
Before I could even finish asking if she could help look at dates during those months where she can see R class availability prior to me booking the flights, she was already on to it and helped me out.
I emailed Air NZ and sent her a thank you note ^
Old Feb 24, 20, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

RU Update

Yesterday I successfully used new RUs on a return Vancouver flight next January from PE to Bus with immediate confirmation. I then rang AirNZ to see if anything had changed regarding the Singapore requested upgrades, but nothing had. The Vancouver flights use the 789 but with the enlarged premium classes, while the plane for Singapore also uses the 789 but with the smaller premium classes. In view of previous comments, it would seem that AirNZ have stopped instant confirmation of upgrades on the smaller 789, until closer to the flight maybe, while 789 flights using the "larger" 789 is currently still available for instant confirmation on R class.
Old Feb 24, 20, 3:01 pm

Which is odd as the Trent 1000 TEN is now the one with the issue. And the TENs are on most/all of the 789s with the larger BP & PE sections.

Unless the NA will be swapped with 772 and Asia swapped to the v1 789 layout?
Old Feb 24, 20, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

The Vancouver flight was definitely a 789, with 3 rows of Bus seats rather than four.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: