Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The end of the LAX - LHR route

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I presume NZ will probably use the B2 *A section of EWR for departures - anyone know if this is indeed the case?
Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k AC 50k BA gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I presume NZ will probably use the B2 *A section of EWR for departures - anyone know if this is indeed the case?
B that's a nasty terminal!
A terminal is being rebuilt well replaced, at the moment however construction just started so that's a couple of years away.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: TrueBlue
I can understand lamenting the loss of LAX-LHR. But with the announcement of EWR-AKL, flying to New Zealand just became more attractive for my wife and I - as we live near MHT, close enough to BOS and have so many TrueBlue points that a BOS-EWR flight would barely be felt. This means WAY shorter travel times to a place that, quite frankly, is on our bucket list.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:15 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Just booked LHR-LAX return, needed to enjoy the best Y service from LHR by far to the west coast for what could be the last time!

I’m going to miss that NZ sparkling wine and wine tasting sessions (in Y!!)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 3:24 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Just had an amazing flight with Air New Zealand LHR-LAX-LHR, so sad this is ending.

got offered to pay 1000 USD at the airport to upgrade to Premium Economy, normal Economy is great so absolutely no point to do that !
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA, NZ
Does anyone have a data point on how NZ1 transit at LAX is currently treated?
Looking at last minute flights and it is being sold, but can't see any information on if the transit is affected by US travel restrictions.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by DavidTNZ
Does anyone have a data point on how NZ1 transit at LAX is currently treated?
Looking at last minute flights and it is being sold, but can't see any information on if the transit is affected by US travel restrictions.
I read something on one of the news websites saying only US citizens/residents were allowed to board. Kiwis were all turned away.

Edit: found it
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/412056/new-zealander-stuck-in-uk-it-s-a-sea-of-anxiousness-frustration
Old Mar 18, 2020, 11:04 am

Thanks! Surprised there isn't anything specifically on the website. NZ website is still selling NZ1 tickets with LAX transit up to Sunday with no warning about US entry. Looks like EK is last viable option.

Suspect this will become an early end of the LHR flights!
Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:33 pm

Thanks! Surprised there isn't anything specifically on the website. NZ website is still selling NZ1 tickets with LAX transit up to Sunday with no warning about US entry. Looks like EK is last viable option.

I actually thought the flights had stopped (temporarily) a day or two ago.

Looked into SQ? Hope it works out.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand f/f, QF f/f Silver. Emirates Skywards

It has - check this out

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/hea...-crew-affected

Very sad
Old Mar 18, 2020, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by OZZIEKIWI
Sad indeed - was my preferred route between AKL and London. Convenient timing and never had significant issue with LA transit.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 4:56 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Been flying the route regularly since 1996, and when my father passed away in NZ when I was living in London, I was treated so well by London based crew, it was laudable (and I did write to Air NZ about them). I spent RUs on the LAX-AKL leg to upgrade from PE to C, and the London based crew upgraded us all the way, gave us access to the first class lounge at LHR (it was T1 then) and did all they could to help. Before that my father's last trip from the UK (where he was born), they upgraded him as well, as he was only upgraded on LAX-AKL. It's a sad loss and a premature ending for them, through no fault of their own, at a time when obtaining employment in this sector will be virtually impossible.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: Nz*G
Totally gutted about the situation. Had always wanted to fly this route and finally had flights booked for the 31st with the wife for our honeymoon.
Had PE all the way too.
Oh well there are plenty others worse off but it’s a very sad end of an era.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
I too regret not having flown this route.

I'm sure some of you follow Doug Sommerville. For years he was a NZ A320 captain and a few months back moved over to right seat on the 777. He often post fantastic photos from the FD.

Here is the link and a couple of his recent posts. The March 19 and 20 posts are especially worth noting.

https://twitter.com/belowmda

And for those who are tracking, NZ 2 will be departing in approx 20 minutes.
Silver Fox and Lpmnz like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
If anyone should search for this thread in the future, I thought I'd post these additional bits.

We watched NZ2 depart LAX for LHR on 24L (amusingly) while listening to LAX ATC

You can pull up the archived recording at LiveATC.net https://www.liveatc.net/listen.php

Doug was tweeting from the flight. Here are a few tweets and fantastic photos.

9:33 PM · Mar 20, 2020

1:40 AM · Mar 21, 2020

1:51 AM · Mar 21, 2020

1:56 AM · Mar 21, 2020

The NZ2 departure roll video clip

And a short while ago, I was watching Big Jet TV live at LHR and took these screen shots of the last departure of NZ1. What a beauty.

And a nice tip of the wing goodbye.

If you want to see the video of the departure, see the YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ...uXgGKPw/videos
He is currently broadcasting live from LHR, but the footage is then archived for viewing as well. (also it's very windy there today so the soundtrack will be a bit noisy)

Wishing NZ much luck and success in these difficult times and going forward, and especially wishing the best ahead for the awesome NZ crews I have flown with.

gratn, Silver Fox and Lpmnz like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.