FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Equipment Change (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1990717-equipment-change.html)

mmonster Oct 9, 2019 7:48 pm

Equipment Change

Booked originally in premium economy in 789 (TT) but now changed to 321NEO
It automatically revert back to Economy, is this what to expect? They should have given Work Delux or provide option to change FOC?

thanks

nzkarit Oct 9, 2019 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 31611345)
It automatically revert back to Economy, is this what to expect? They should have given Work Delux or provide option to change FOC?

thanks

Should get a partial refund and they will waive some change fees to move to a different flight

Have you talked to them?

mmonster Oct 9, 2019 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 31611376)
Should get a partial refund and they will waive some change fees to move to a different flight

Have you talked to them?

no, it was booked via an agent, may be I should talk to them? but then I really have to fly on that date so options are not too great. I find this entire situation quite difficult to accept as it seems to me that they can just do what they want.......

nzkarit Oct 9, 2019 8:37 pm

If was via an agent AirNZ will do nadda for you, it is all the agent's responsibility

WLGNZ Oct 9, 2019 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 31611401)
no, it was booked via an agent, may be I should talk to them? but then I really have to fly on that date so options are not too great. I find this entire situation quite difficult to accept as it seems to me that they can just do what they want.......

Talk to your agent. It is their job to sort it out for you.
Safe travels.

kiwifrequentflyer Oct 9, 2019 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 31611401)

It's extremely normal for airlines to change aircraft, it should be expected that its always a possibility when flying with any airline.

edmm Oct 9, 2019 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 31611685)
It's extremely normal for airlines to change aircraft, it should be expected that its always a possibility when flying with any airline.

True, but to change from an aircraft with BP and PE to one without is the problem here. Nobody should be expected to go from BP or PE to economy without being given choices or very generous compensation.

kiwifrequentflyer Oct 10, 2019 12:20 am

🤷 I mean, it's part of the terms and conditions of your ticket, you agreed to the fact that they wouldn't give you compensation but refund the difference of cost (or let you change to a different time) when you bought the ticket, if you didn't like those terms you never had to purchase it. Its not realistic for airlines to not be able to swap out if we want the costs of our flights to be as low as they are.

It's always so hard for me to be sympathetic as a non Auckland customer who literally has no choice and always has to fly economy since we don't get wide body planes!

edmm Oct 10, 2019 12:44 am

Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer (Post 31611850)
🤷 I mean, it's part of the terms and conditions of your ticket, you agreed to the fact that they wouldn't give you compensation but refund the difference of cost (or let you change to a different time) when you bought the ticket, if you didn't like those terms you never had to purchase it. Its not realistic for airlines to not be able to swap out if we want the costs of our flights to be as low as they are.

It's always so hard for me to be sympathetic as a non Auckland customer who literally has no choice and always has to fly economy since we don't get wide body planes!

I'm a non Auckland customer too, so I fly to Auckland too, except it is on the very uncomfortable ATR, I would much prefer if that was a jet.

The way I think about it is that if you paid for a Mercedes, but the dealer gave you a Toyota (it's in the fine print, they only agreed to give you a car), you would be really unhappy.

I have been affected by the issue several times, and Air NZ are not very helpful, but have swapped me to a less convenient flight on each occasion- apart from the time earlier this year I cancelled, traveled to WLG then did WLG-MEL on SQ, which worked out much better.

My point is that it is good for customer relations, and makes good business sense, for Air NZ to treat their highest paying customers better in these scenarios, rather than the poor treatment and poor compensation they offer. It was their choice to make the A320's and A321's economy only, so look after their HVC's who make the extra effort to fly on the wide-bodies.

JANZFlyer Oct 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mmonster (Post 31611345)

thanks

This happened to me last week (3 October) change from 789 to A321neo. It was a day trip to Sydney (108 back) so I was annoyed as I needed some space to work. I only found out 24 hours before via just noticing on the app). Later flights did not work. They told me to speak to my agent but given 24 hours prior I pushed back.

I was offered J flights on QF (737 with J) which I took. They also credited original status points (93) and airpoints dollar earn which I was worried about.
I was surprised the downgrade was to Works rather than works deluxe AND the fare-class was discount economy rather than full Y. The "refund" for a one way which cost $1200NZD was pathetic. I was pretty happy overall as I needed those points to bank a year.

A colleague on same flights as me was given a major run around from the CSA, he had to give them my details for them to replicate what they did for me.

Rebound Oct 10, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer (Post 31614047)
This happened to me last week (3 October) change from 789 to A321neo. It was a day trip to Sydney (108 back) so I was annoyed as I needed some space to work. I only found out 24 hours before via just noticing on the app). Later flights did not work. They told me to speak to my agent but given 24 hours prior I pushed back.

I was offered J flights on QF (737 with J) which I took. They also credited original status points (93) and airpoints dollar earn which I was worried about.
I was surprised the downgrade was to Works rather than works deluxe AND the fare-class was discount economy rather than full Y. The "refund" for a one way which cost $1200NZD was pathetic. I was pretty happy overall as I needed those points to bank a year.

A colleague on same flights as me was given a major run around from the CSA, he had to give them my details for them to replicate what they did for me.

J on QF is a pretty good compromise than a downgrade on NZ

ottiehund Oct 11, 2019 3:43 am

Originally Posted by Rebound (Post 31615124)
J on QF is a pretty good compromise than a downgrade on NZ

I would say a switch to QF on the A330 yes I would agree, on a 737 no, bug to retain points I think is a fair offer.

Pretty poor for NZ to offer a certain compensation to one passenger, and not another in the same situation.

i would personally expect at least Works Deluxe as an offer along with some refund (although as we all know in terms of $ PE can sometimes be less) ...

kiwifrequentflyer Oct 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by ottiehund (Post 31615904)
I would say a switch to QF on the A330 yes I would agree, on a 737 no, bug to retain points I think is a fair offer.

Pretty poor for NZ to offer a certain compensation to one passenger, and not another in the same situation.

i would personally expect at least Works Deluxe as an offer along with some refund (although as we all know in terms of $ PE can sometimes be less) ...

Perhaps Qantas was fully booked in Biz? 🤷

JANZFlyer Oct 11, 2019 2:25 pm

No it wasn't, just the inconsistency we are all used to with call centre agents.
I really just wanted to ensure I would still earn the same status points, I would have probably flown WD in the neo or even full Y if it would earn what my D class fare would (93). QF J was the only way they could do that. Whilst the seats are not great, nor is the food - there was enough space that I could work and it was actually quite nice being able to see out the window properly! Forgot how much you loose the view when in NZ J.

mmonster Oct 19, 2019 1:56 pm

thanks all for many responses
the compensation for QF J while keeping the points is really attractive, the complication is I have others travelling on a different PNR

my agent basically ask if I can change time/date and I had to be there so not an option if flight was operated by NZ

they also say they will fight for compensation, which I do not get since its corporate travel, after.... so I feel that they did not even know or care that they can fight for QF on my behalf.