Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Jetstar to stop NZ regional flights - NZ to raise prices?

Jetstar to stop NZ regional flights - NZ to raise prices?

Old Sep 24, 19, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Question Jetstar to stop NZ regional flights - NZ to raise prices?

From today's announcement would we expect the following from NZ
  1. Announce how many low fares they already offer on regional flights
  2. Fares to raise but claim that it is due to increased demand
  3. Nothing JQ regional was not carrying enough passengers to make a difference
Story of JQ withdrawing on 30 November on stuff.co.nz
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite
I still remember the competition to find the next place Jetstar would open in... A real shame for these areas as prices will almost certainly go up, but it wasn't sustainable so its also no surprise.
Old Sep 24, 19, 7:34 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand f/f, QF f/f Silver. Emirates Skywards
Another kick in the guts for the people living in these areas. Now the greedy national carrier will charge whatever they want and goodbye to specials and deals. Just like Mt Cook did in the 70's and 80's when they had the monopoly on Mt Cook and Queenstown services. GRRRRRRR
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:16 pm

This was kinda on the cards since the VA divorce & QF code sharing with NZ.

Is a shame going to miss the "competition", though never really threatened NZ's monopoly.
Blackcloud likes this.
Old Sep 24, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Somehow consumers will blame Air NZ for Jetstars incompetence, but if more people chose to fly Jetstar on a more regular basis then the carrier wouldn't be pulling out.
ps107, trooper, poopbunny and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 2:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I'd argue it will make zero difference. JQ aren't really competition and NZ's pricing model doesn't really treat them as such.
Old Sep 25, 19, 4:36 am

Did anyone here fly JQ regional much? I never got an opportunity, but heard anecdotes it was a "never again" kind of experience. Passengers on the last flight of the day arriving in Auckland had to wait on the bus to the terminal till all the checked baggage was unloaded, the crew packed up the aircraft, filled in their logbooks and locked the doors etc...? It sounded a little odd. Was that the normal procedure?
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:10 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by ps107 View Post
Did anyone here fly JQ regional much? I never got an opportunity, but heard anecdotes it was a "never again" kind of experience. Passengers on the last flight of the day arriving in Auckland had to wait on the bus to the terminal till all the checked baggage was unloaded, the crew packed up the aircraft, filled in their logbooks and locked the doors etc...? It sounded a little odd. Was that the normal procedure?
Normal procedure would be Jetstar just cancelling the flight
ps107, cavemanzk and nancypants like this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I flew once NSN-WLG. The first flight WLG-NSN was cancelled with 3 hours notice and I booked a Sounds Air (?) flight instead and took the return flight on JQ.
About 30 pax including 3 in our party and really no time to do any service so hardly any ancillary revenue for JQ on that sector.
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:35 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Silver, QF Bronze, AF Ivory, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Gold
I flew JQ NPE-AKL as part of a ticket to SYD, and it was fine except that JQ had different luggage allowance than QF on the same ticket (my QF Gold status didn't translate to the JQ leg), and of course no interlining at AKL between domestic and international (had to pick up bags and wheel them over to international). It did offer free snacks and beverages because of my (then) QF Gold status from NPE-AKL, and it flew on time, so was unremarkable. I simply found that timings were never convenient, the lack of dom-intl interlining was frustrating (NZ does interline to QF seamlessly) and unreliability put me off. The lack of lounge access was a minor factor, it never really is a big deal regionally.
Old Sep 26, 19, 2:48 am

Programs: NZ/QF
I flew NSN-AKL on JQ a few weeks back. Didn't notice much difference to the AKL-NSN flight I flew on NZ the day before. The JQ flight was a fully loaded plane which departed bang on time.

Friends based in NSN have high praise for JQ remarking they seemed to run to schedule better than NZ did. The meeting I was attending had several late arrivals and departures due to NZ delays whereas most of the JQ paxs had no trouble. Was a source of amusement on both sides given many people were expecting it to be the other way around!

I had booked AKL-NSN-AKL on JQ for January so have requested a refund of that. Have booked same trip on NZ instead. Didn't realise NZ was offering $50 fares to those 'stranded' by JQ so have emailed to ask if they can honour that for my booking but not expecting any miracles.
Blackcloud likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 6:51 pm

I'm of the opinion that it was doomed from the start.

It might've made sense to operate from a hub in AKL financially, but from a customer experience perspective if you didn't live in the North Island the service was a non-starter.

Because of the hub being in AKL if you wanted to fly from let's say WLG/CHC-PMR, for example, it was generally a 7-hour trip by the time you factored in the AKL connection. Of course because you are not able to fly direct Jetstar's pricing model would price you something accordingly. This meant you were paying a price similar to flying two legs.

This meant it almost always cost more to fly Jetstar to the regions while also taking significantly longer. Add in the (IMO wrong) perspective that people have of the Jetstar brand, then why would you fly with them?

Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
Normal procedure would be Jetstar just cancelling the flight
This is a common perception that I hear, but is not actually based in reality. Jetstar's regional on-time performance was, largely speaking, better than that of Air NZ regional.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: