Name check

Old Sep 14, 19, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Name check

I have heard of many horror stories of incorrect spelling of names compared to the actual passport BUT has anyone actual flown with a different name ?

Unusual situation which I do not know how it happened
Background
1: Booked a flight through the AIRNZ website (L class)
2: Entered the airpoints number
3: The system used abbreviated name e.g. Tom instead of Thomas
4: Airpoints number was entered on the flight
5: Passed the checkin (Twice , once departure once return sector) with abbreviated name
6: Passed lounge access (Twice , once departure once return sector) with abbreviated name
7: Passed gate (Twice , once departure once return sector) with abbreviated name
8: Points (both Airpoints and SP) was posted instantly on arrival
9: BUT return points not posted ...missing points creates a error message "class does not accrual airpoints"
10: Uncertain if points for the return sector (both sectors purchased on one ticket) will post as name differs.
11: Flight appeared automatically on the AIRNZ app (did not enter manually) so the booking seemed normal

Question :
1: Has anyone flown on a ticket where the name differed ?
2: Has anyone claimed points on a ticket that the name differed ?
3: Has anyone had the ticket name changed at the checkin ,lounge or gate ?
where the airpoints number has been attached to the ticket

Last edited by Beano; Sep 14, 19 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 14, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Are you certain that both sectors were L class? That seems the more likely possibility?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: NZ*S, GHA Gold
Have had flights booked with the equivalent of Tom / Thomas and never had issues with them crediting. I'd check the booking class.
Old Sep 14, 19, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
Are you certain that both sectors were L class? That seems the more likely possibility?
Yes both L class
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:10 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Mrs CHCFlyer managed to fly both ways as a Mr, instead of her preferred Ms (my inputting error, I hasten to add), when we went to NOU for a break. It caused no issues at check in either way though when I raised this with NZ before departure they wanted $200 for a name change. I declined and just thought I'd front it out at the airport on the day.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:32 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CHCflyer View Post
Mrs CHCFlyer managed to fly both ways as a Mr, instead of her preferred Ms (my inputting error, I hasten to add), when we went to NOU for a break. It caused no issues at check in either way though when I raised this with NZ before departure they wanted $200 for a name change. I declined and just thought I'd front it out at the airport on the day.
So in your case the names were correct per passport, but just the prefix for gender/relationship status was wrong?

Makes me wonder if that prefix field actually means anything useful from an API perspective...?
nancypants likes this.
Old Sep 15, 19, 6:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm still curious how you ended up with an abbreviated name if you were logged in using your Airpoints account?

I've had a few instances of not being able to add a flight to my Airpoints account / app that's been booked by others and they've shortened my name. Air NZ have happily linked this and fixed it for me for free when I've called them.
Old Sep 15, 19, 9:50 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, the names were correct but the gender and prefix were wrong. At no part of the process was anything flagged as untoward. I guess that if you are Prof, or Rev, or General, they are not gender specific so the prefix presumably is not relevant - but I'm just guessing here.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I'm still curious how you ended up with an abbreviated name if you were logged in using your Airpoints account?

I've had a few instances of not being able to add a flight to my Airpoints account / app that's been booked by others and they've shortened my name. Air NZ have happily linked this and fixed it for me for free when I've called them.
I thought about this too and I really do not know as I thought logging in using your airpoints automatically comes up with the correct name.
Anyway no issue now as flown and points posted after a couple of days.
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:51 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Beano View Post
I thought about this too and I really do not know as I thought logging in using your airpoints automatically comes up with the correct name.
Anyway no issue now as flown and points posted after a couple of days.
I had this happened to me back in the days when BNZ was the sole bank with partnership on APD/SP on Credit Cards
they have decided to change my name and I have given them a told off and one of my tickets was issued with the initial only - was not pleased at all

Search this Thread