FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Release of award seats (X) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1986755-release-award-seats-x.html)

LAXOGG Sep 10, 2019 1:50 pm

Release of award seats (X)

New to NZ forums. Long time UA flyer looking to book award travel to the South Island (NSN or CHC). Overwater segment is UA 917, SFO-AKL. No reasonable time X class available for the domestic segment at present so one way trip SFO- NSN or SFO-CHC prices out at 100K miles versus 40K miles.

Question......what methodology does NZ follow in releasing X fares? Is there is a possibility that additional award space will be released? TIA

sbiddle Sep 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Air NZ offers up limited reward seats.

Depending on when you're flying you're potentially stupid to book an award flight though when both routes offer huge numbers of entry level fares from around US$35

findark Sep 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Are you purchasing with UA miles (sounds like it from the number involved)? I'm slightly confused, but if that's the case the NZ segments should not be directly affecting anything as partner metal is only ever available in partner (UA Saver - rbd X) level or not at all (cannot redeem miles). Sounds like the problem would be on the UA end.

LAXOGG Sep 10, 2019 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by findark (Post 31511629)
Are you purchasing with UA miles (sounds like it from the number involved)? I'm slightly confused, but if that's the case the NZ segments should not be directly affecting anything as partner metal is only ever available in partner (UA Saver - rbd X) level or not at all (cannot redeem miles). Sounds like the problem would be on the UA end.

I am trying to book with UA miles. Pricing out on UA site is 40K SFO-AKL-NSN/CHC each way if X is available on the AKL-NSN or AKL-CHC segments. If X is not available, the trip prices out at 100K miles. Will pay cash price for the NZ domestic segment if I can't get the award to price out at 40K, subject to ability to check luggage through and protection in event of irregular opps. (I'm trying to save the cost of the final segment that would otherwise be free if X were available).

Mwenenzi Sep 10, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 31511757)
I am trying to book with UA miles. Pricing out on UA site is 40K SFO-AKL-NSN/CHC each way if X is available on the AKL-NSN or AKL-CHC segments. If X is not available, the trip prices out at 100K miles. Will pay cash price for the NZ domestic segment if I can't get the award to price out at 40K, subject to ability to check luggage through and protection in event of irregular opps. (I'm trying to save the cost of the final segment that would otherwise be free if X were available).

Strange UA ff pricing. To me just pay cash (seat & bag)
You have to clear immigration & customs with all your carry-on and checked baggage at AKL. Bags will not be through checked I to D at AKL. After immigration you take your bags to Air NZ check-in/bag drop area. Then walk the line or take the free bus over to the domestic terminal.
On separate tickets allow plenty of time. I would not be rely on Air NZ irrops protection. That may/may not happen.

LAXOGG Sep 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for the response! Sure would be a lot easier with X on NZ available.

findark Sep 10, 2019 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 31511757)

What class does the NZ segment book into if "X is not available"? That's what is confusing me - Star Alliance only has a single negotiated award rate and a single inventory class. It sounds like for whatever reason United is forcing YN on the SFO-AKL segment with some routings.

NZbutterfly Sep 11, 2019 4:13 am

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 31511911)
Thanks for the response! Sure would be a lot easier with X on NZ available.

I don't know what dates you're looking but certainly good availability for AKL-CHC at 8k UA miles + NZD9 from Sep - Dec 2019.

Or book paid flexitime - you can change your flight on the day of travel free of charge online and there are a lot of flights form AKL-CHC and reasonable number to NSN.
Book the cheapest flight on the day then after midnight on the day of travel change to the actual flight you want. You'll know if your flight's on time by then.