Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATR’s and comfort

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

ATR’s and comfort

Does anyone else agree that traveling on an Air NZ ATR is the most uncomfortable experience out of any in company’s fleet? I hate the seats, always get a sore bum and that seat frame which takes away your leg room drives me crazy.

Considering some of these are brand new aircraft I much preferred traveling in the old Beech even!! The Dash 8’s have more comfortable seats and are how old?? I guess they don’t make them like they used to...
jeffrocowboy likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I am on the ATR at least twice a week. The seating is hideous. As a masochist, I like to grab the back row but they are probably the worst as they feel more 'sit up and beg' and have no recline. Was in 16C last night but a big feller next to me ensured i was halfway in the aisle and got hit by everything that went down the aisle. The seats are thinly padded and I would never choose to go long haul on them (CHC-HLZ, for example, on their ER versions). Pronounced fishtail effect in bad weather makes the back less pleasant, too.
Crew and equipment fill the lockers at the back and fast bag means slow pax when it comes to disembarking.
I'd take a Q300 any day.
Yes, I have grown to dislike them intensely.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 6:27 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I agree. I fly in them regularly and hate them. The seats are designed to be as uncomfortable as possible. They are thin, shaped wrong and quite flimsy, so that a big person in front of you makes them bend back significantly. They are also very narrow. The earlier seats they had on the older planes were much more comfortable, and they disconnected the seat recline, so that nobody could take away any of the already restricted space. I also select row 17, but it is probably the worst row to sit in, because it seems more upright.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm sure there is something out there worse than an ATR72 but nothing springs to mind at present. 😀
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:10 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I too choose 17B so I can be first off and avoid waiting for pax at rental car booth. Lack of recline is a pain but I can put up with it most days.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 2:11 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Couldn't resist a glance at this thread. ATR's and comfort are two things which should never be in the same sentence!
Old Sep 7, 2019, 3:14 am

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Is there a trim reason why they don't put the fast bags in the forward hold, so that there is not the conflict between getting the pax and bags off?
Old Sep 7, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
Is there a trim reason why they don't put the fast bags in the forward hold, so that there is not the conflict between getting the pax and bags off?
From memory that front cargo door is hydraulically opened, so could be slower?
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:48 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I agree that the ATRs in NZ's config are definitely the least comfortable seats of any in the fleet that I've tried. The Q300 on the other hand I find extremely comfortable.

Surely there are better seating options available for the ATR? You have to wonder why NZ chose the options they did...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.