FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   UA Business Award with NZ Economy Segment (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1984982-ua-business-award-nz-economy-segment.html)

wbhurley Aug 28, 2019 6:44 pm

UA Business Award with NZ Economy Segment

Hello. My friend is traveling in November on a one-way United Airlines business award ticket from AKL-SYD-IAH-Florida. The AKL-SYD segment is on NZ101 at 7am, the rest of the journey is on United. The United flights are all in business class, however, since apparently no business award seats were available at time of booking, the AKL-SYD segment is in Economy. Can one waitlist for a business seat, given the journey is on a Business Award ticket? Also, does NZ typically only release business award seats AKL-SYD very close in to departure date?
Thanks for your help.

nzkarit Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by wbhurley (Post 31468042)
Hello. My friend is traveling in November on a one-way United Airlines business award ticket from AKL-SYD-IAH-Florida. The AKL-SYD segment is on NZ101 at 7am, the rest of the journey is on United. The United flights are all in business class, however, since apparently no business award seats were available at time of booking, the AKL-SYD segment is in Economy. Can one waitlist for a business seat, given the journey is on a Business Award ticket? Also, does NZ typically only release business award seats AKL-SYD very close in to departure date?
Thanks for your help.

NZ only releases the minimum needed under *A rules. If there aren't seats now there won't be any later.

Waitlisting isn't really a concept outside of North America.

Mwenenzi Aug 28, 2019 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by wbhurley (Post 31468042)
Thanks for your help.

UA will have purchased an economy (award) fare from Air NZ. That's all Air NZ will see.
Any changes will need to be made with UA.
The NZ101 07:00 - 08:40 looks to be a B787-9, so has business class seating
But expect to fly in the cabin as per the ticket

fone Sep 7, 2019 3:06 am

A somewhat similar situation, but different question.

I'm having a SIN - AKL, AKL - MEL, MEL - SIN redemption itinerary in J, booked using SQ miles.
The AKL - MEL will be on NZ economy, which I may or may not book as a separate itinerary.
Will this segment have free baggage allowance? Does redemption economy book into seat only, or seat+bag?

Thai-Kiwi Sep 7, 2019 3:26 am

Originally Posted by fone (Post 31500000)
A somewhat similar situation, but different question.

I'm having a SIN - AKL, AKL - MEL, MEL - SIN redemption itinerary in J, booked using SQ miles.
The AKL - MEL will be on NZ economy, which I may or may not book as a separate itinerary.
Will this segment have free baggage allowance? Does redemption economy book into seat only, or seat+bag?

AFAIK non-Airpoints redemptions should book into Works (bag and meal).

Mwenenzi Sep 7, 2019 3:40 am

Originally Posted by fone (Post 31500000)

If looking to use SQ ff miles for AKL-MEL check what a cash economy ticket would cost. Then decide if is value for money/ff miles.
You could compare cash fares on the main airlines, NZ, QF, VA and even JQ

fone Sep 7, 2019 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31500026)
AFAIK non-Airpoints redemptions should book into Works (bag and meal).

Thanks for the reply. I thought it should too, as I was reading on UA redemptions on like LH intra-Europe or Eurowings, which should be with 1 checked bag. Assuming it should be the same here. How sure is this, other than me book and check (and cancel).

I was only able to call the NZ call center and ask about Airpoints redemption as they would not be familiar with *A redemptions I guess, all they mentioned was that the redemption is only for the flight with no bag. SQ call center was unable to answer this question as well, first stating 30kg (which is the SQ allowance) and not the 1 bag for 23kg stated on the NZ website.

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31500050)
If looking to use SQ ff miles for AKL-MEL check what a cash economy ticket would cost. Then decide if is value for money/ff miles.
You could compare cash fares on the main airlines, NZ, QF, VA and even JQ

Thanks. They are marginally worth the costs so far. We will definitely have checked baggages, thus wanted to check if my redemption would have free baggage and compare to prices with/without baggage. Otherwise may consider VA for its 1 free checked bag (either redemption or paid ticket). Would very much prefer NZ as I have UA *G, and the additional bag allowance may come in handy.

Now also considering eliminating the MEL stopover altogether, due to additional miles required for the AKL - MEL segment (SQ program have the same miles requirement for SIN to MEL or NZ, and even more for *A). Since AKL - MEL will be in economy, it would require lesser miles to redeem the "SIN - CHC, MEL - SIN" and AKL - MEL to be separate, or simply just to fly AKL - SIN.

QTFLYER Sep 7, 2019 12:52 pm

Why dont you check out flying domestic AKL-WLG and then return on the WLG-SIN via MEL route with SQ? If your looking for value for money on your redemption then this could work out.

fone Sep 7, 2019 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by QTFLYER (Post 31501307)
Why dont you check out flying domestic AKL-WLG and then return on the WLG-SIN via MEL route with SQ? If your looking for value for money on your redemption then this could work out.

Thanks for the suggestion. That crossed my mind and I would have definitely done that if I'm travelling alone. Now I'm travelling with 3 young kids, so shorter total flight length and less stops would be best, would be better to get over the 4 hour flight to MEL in economy rather than waste time transiting in WLG. Calculates out to about 1 hour additional flight time plus more time on the ground at the airports.

Mwenenzi Sep 7, 2019 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by fone (Post 31500192)
Thanks. They are marginally worth the costs so far. We will definitely have checked baggages, thus wanted to check if my redemption would have free baggage and compare to prices with/without baggage. Otherwise may consider VA for its 1 free checked bag (either redemption or paid ticket). Would very much prefer NZ as I have UA *G, and the additional bag allowance may come in handy.

Both VA & QF fares include checked baggage & food.
With NZ & JQ fares checked baggage & food is extra to the base headline (seat only) fare. Unsure about *G benefits on NZ seat only fare.

Thai-Kiwi Sep 7, 2019 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31502168)
Both VA & QF fares include checked baggage & food.
With NZ & JQ fares checked baggage & food is extra to the base headline (seat only) fare. Unsure about *G benefits on NZ seat only fare.

*G benefits on a seat only fare:

- lounge access (Koru Club) for pax +1 (kids free)
- access to priority seating (forward cabin, more legroom)

Excluded on a seat-only fare is the *G benefit of an extra bag. But seat+bag is only $20 more that Seat, which then kicks-in the *G extra bag benefit.

fone Sep 8, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks all for reply on my side question. Decided to skip MEL altogether.