RU Strategy Question

Old Aug 28, 19, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
RU Strategy Question

I've got a trip planned AKL-LHR-AKL on NZ in Sep 2020 and need some advice on RU strategy. My Elite year is 1 Sep 19 - 31 Aug 20 and at this stage I probably won't re-qualify for Elite and drop down to Gold as at 1 Sep 20. So for these flights should I:

1. Use my Elite RU's and then Elite APD upgrades for all 4 sectors?
2. Use my Elite RU's for the AKL-LAX-LHR outbound sectors then my Gold RU's for the inbound LHR-LAX-AKL sectors (will be applying these upgrades about 3-4 weeks before the actual flights)?

I'm leaning to Option 1 as figuring that even though I may be Gold at the time of all flights that the Elite RU's and APD upgrades may take higher priority that Gold RU's?
Old Aug 28, 19, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
You would be crazy to take option 2.

This far out you should probably be able to get upgrades cleared immediately either on the dates you want or maybe a day either side if you have flexibility of dates.

No way I'd risk waiting till a few weeks out to lodge RUs.
libertyuk, NZ_Flyer, Beano and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 1, 19, 4:05 am

Programs: ANZ Gold, Qantas
Guys, I have a related question.
I'm gold and sitting on 2 RUs at the moment.
I'm edging really close to my renewal date, and look like I'm going to miss renewing to Gold by a hair.
I'm looking at a flight for within a few days of my renewal. If I book that and try to use my RUs, am I likely to be able to get to use them even if the flights in question are after I miss my renewal, or do they vanish regardless of being applied before expiry?
Does anyone have experience on this?
Old Sep 1, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
You can lodge RUs for a date beyond the expiry date. If they don't clear the upgrades are lost.
Old Sep 1, 19, 3:45 pm

Programs: ANZ Gold, Qantas

Search this Thread
Search Engine: