WLG. SQ 350, why not NZ 789 or 772?

Old Sep 22, 19, 7:50 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,653
Not in WLG or AKL they would use single door entry/exit possibly rear stairs like they do for the A320.
At both airports there are gates that can take the larger aircraft.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 1:36 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
Not in WLG or AKL they would use single door entry/exit possibly rear stairs like they do for the A320.
At both airports there are gates that can take the larger aircraft.
Wellington's wide bodies gates involve closing adjacent gates. Think last year when running the wide body domestic on Auckland they were bussing to a stand.

Also in Wellington not sure if the wide body capable gates are set up for rear stairs.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 9:32 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,653
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Wellington's wide bodies gates involve closing adjacent gates. Think last year when running the wide body domestic on Auckland they were bussing to a stand.

Also in Wellington not sure if the wide body capable gates are set up for rear stairs.
The gate at The Rock can still use the adjacent gates and is part of the "swing" system in which the international terminal can be cordoned off for domestic use, it just reduces the international capacity by a large margin.
Of course the argument is still moot as there is not enough demand for a scheduled passenger service for a domestic widebody service. Instead NZ and I guess JQ could use A321s for the additional lift required.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old Sep 22, 19, 10:12 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,025
Originally Posted by Blackcloud View Post
The gate at The Rock can still use the adjacent gates and is part of the "swing" system in which the international terminal can be cordoned off for domestic use, it just reduces the international capacity by a large margin.
Of course the argument is still moot as there is not enough demand for a scheduled passenger service for a domestic widebody service. Instead NZ and I guess JQ could use A321s for the additional lift required.
If you have a look at the AIP it says when a widebody is in the gate 23 they need to close the adjacent gates.

Stand 23 Procedures
Aircraft stands 22 and 24 are closed when aircraft are parked on stand 23. Stand 23
is available on request to Airport Operations 24 hr prior to arrival, Tel (04) 385 5124.
http://www.aip.net.nz/pdf/NZWN_53.5_53.6.pdf

Though looking at it gate 26 can do wide bodies as well which doesn't require closing the adjacent gate.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Sep 23, 19, 6:01 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wellington
Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Posts: 4,653
Stand 26 is the one used by SQ and is the one I was referring to attached to The Rock.
WLG has used the entire international side for domestic operations when winds were so strong that it prevented the used the windward gates for passenger and baggage loading and unloading.
Blackcloud is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:06 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,447
Does SQ crew do sameday turnaround on MEL-WLG-MEL (i.e. overnight in MEL vs WLG)? Flight is approx. 3hr 20min to 4hrs each way so not sure if they turnaround or stay in WLG...

SQ247 MEL-WLG is on x2xx567. SQ248 WLG-MEL operates same days
mileageking is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 1:27 pm
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,548
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
Does SQ crew do sameday turnaround on MEL-WLG-MEL (i.e. overnight in MEL vs WLG)? Flight is approx. 3hr 20min to 4hrs each way so not sure if they turnaround or stay in WLG...

SQ247 MEL-WLG is on x2xx567. SQ248 WLG-MEL operates same days
I believe it's the same crew who do the return trip since they moved from CBR to MEL. Via CBR the crew used to overnight here in WLG.

Air NZ crews all operate R/T from NZ to Aussie and crews typically only overnight in Australia for early morning departures.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 2:37 pm
  #38  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,447
1.
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
I believe it's the same crew who do the return trip since they moved from CBR to MEL. Via CBR the crew used to overnight here in WLG.

Air NZ crews all operate R/T from NZ to Aussie and crews typically only overnight in Australia for early morning departures.
Thanks but not sure how that would work. Below are example of flights:

Example:
1. SIN-MEL: SQ247 depart Thu 20:05, arrive Fri 06:30. Crew overnights Fri in MEL
2. MEL-WLG: SQ247 depart Sat 7:50, arrive Sat 13:10 (3hr:20min).
3. Crew does same-day turnaround WLG-MEL: SQ248 depart Sat 14:30, arrive 16:30 (4:00hrs) and overnight Sat again in MEL?
4. MEL-SIN: SQ 248 depart Sun 17:55, arrive Sun 22:45

Would it be same crew for all of above flight segments?
mileageking is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 3:45 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,548
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
1.

Thanks but not sure how that would work. Below are example of flights:

Example:
1. SIN-MEL: SQ247 depart Thu 20:05, arrive Fri 06:30. Crew overnights Fri in MEL
2. MEL-WLG: SQ247 depart Sat 7:50, arrive Sat 13:10 (3hr:20min).
3. Crew does same-day turnaround WLG-MEL: SQ248 depart Sat 14:30, arrive 16:30 (4:00hrs) and overnight Sat again in MEL?
4. MEL-SIN: SQ 248 depart Sun 17:55, arrive Sun 22:45

Would it be same crew for all of above flight segments?
You're probably over thinking this whole situation. SQ have up to 5x daily flights between SIN and MEL. The same crew wouldn't necessarily need to do a full duty from SIN-MEL-WLG-MEL-SIN like they used to do with WLG-CBR-WLG-CBR-SIN when they were the only flights into CBR.

I don't know whether SQ operate the same crew groups for A380 / 777 / A350 and whether crews are cross rated and operate all aircraft types but they're still going to have two A350 flights to MEL after the 1st Dec although WLG will be the longhaul config and the other service will be the regional config.
sbiddle is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:17 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,025
Plus different also the MEL-WLG-MEL only needs two pilots. Not sure if the SIN-MEL has a second officer as well, for rest breaks.
nzkarit is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 4:28 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,356
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
You're probably over thinking this whole situation. SQ have up to 5x daily flights between SIN and MEL. The same crew wouldn't necessarily need to do a full duty from SIN-MEL-WLG-MEL-SIN like they used to do with WLG-CBR-WLG-CBR-SIN when they were the only flights into CBR.
Rostered crew pattern (for SQ) is by flight. So a crew operating SQ247 SIN-MEL will overnight in MEL, operate to WLG and back on the next SQ247/248, overnight in MEL again, and operate back to SIN on the next available 248. So depending on what day they leave SIN this can mean a two night stop in MEL while they wait for the next 247 or 248 to operate.
Top of climb is offline  
Old Oct 2, 19, 8:52 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2,447
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
Rostered crew pattern (for SQ) is by flight. So a crew operating SQ247 SIN-MEL will overnight in MEL, operate to WLG and back on the next SQ247/248, overnight in MEL again, and operate back to SIN on the next available 248. So depending on what day they leave SIN this can mean a two night stop in MEL while they wait for the next 247 or 248 to operate.
That makes sense, thank you
mileageking is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 2:47 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 566
Originally Posted by mileageking View Post
Does SQ crew do sameday turnaround on MEL-WLG-MEL (i.e. overnight in MEL vs WLG)? Flight is approx. 3hr 20min to 4hrs each way so not sure if they turnaround or stay in WLG...

SQ247 MEL-WLG is on x2xx567. SQ248 WLG-MEL operates same days
Yes had a good chat to the SQ crew on a recent flight from MEL-WLG...

Was quite a funny conversation as whilst the crew had been the NZ before (AKL and CHC) they'd never been into WLG (despite operating the WLG flights many times before) and had no idea Wellington was in the North Island of New Zealand. After operating the MEL-WLG flight, they immediately turn around and rest in Melbourne for one day (or sometimes two depending on scheduling) before going back to Singapore. Also unless something unexpected happens... the crew typically does the entire SIN-MEL-WLG-MEL-SIN together.
henrus is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 4:36 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Posts: 333
As a Wellingtonian Iím very grateful that the council have had the foresight to go with the sq deal and open up more options to fly long haul out of Wellington. Sure beats having to fly up to Auckland to get out of New Zealand and to also have to pay top dollar to Air Nz for their monopolistic pricing. We are increasingly checking the sq site and flying Sq due to their connection via Melbourne. I disagree that all the sq flights out of Wellington are under-utilised.
Ellice is offline  
Old Oct 3, 19, 1:06 pm
  #45  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,548
Originally Posted by Ellice View Post
. I disagree that all the sq flights out of Wellington are under-utilised.
I don't recall anybody ever saying the SQ flight has been under utilised since they moved to MEL. Earlier in the year load factors hit around 92% on the WLG-MEL route which made it one of the best performing routes across the whole SQ network.

This is very different from the CBR days where loading was an issue (even factoring in the fact they could only sell part of the plane ex WLG) because they realised pretty early on it was damn near impossible to grow the CBR-WLG sector when it was NZ$245 in tax on this route.

My issue with the route is the subsidy of a commercial service that is competing with existing players and the fact SQ reneged on many of their promises particularly around delivering a better quality hard product on the route.
sbiddle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread