FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Koru - Extra Bag Entitlement Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1983576-koru-extra-bag-entitlement-question.html)

flyer94 Aug 19, 2019 2:07 am

Koru - Extra Bag Entitlement Question

Hi Guys,

I'm a Koru member - I have a Y flight from ICN - AKL via TPE. The ICN - TPE is operated by OZ and the TPE - AKL is operated by Air New Zealand.

I understand when I check-in at ICN, I won't be entitled to the Koru benefit of 2 bags so I would need to pay for the 2nd bag at the OZ counter. I'm assuming OZ would check my bags through to AKL as it's on one PNR and it's only a connecting flight. I'm fine with paying but then would OZ charge me excess baggage fee for the whole ICN - AKL (more expensive) or only ICN to TPE... as on my 2nd Air NZ flight (TPE - AKL), the 2nd bag would be counted as free as per my Koru club benefit...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers,

Thai-Kiwi Aug 19, 2019 4:00 am

Hi flyer94, welcome to FT!

I did a similar ICN-HND-AKL oneway trip in Jan last year. The difference was that I hold star alliance Gold status with THAI, so the extra bag was 'a given'. Koru Club is much less useful for an overseas based flyer, unless frequenting Air NZ flights.

Is this on an Air NZ ticket? What would the difference in cost actually be? That might be useful info to know for others giving advice.

1. Certainly OZ will check your bags through to AKL, that is the important part.

2. The second part of your question is less clear. OZ staff at ICN have been quite inflexible in my 4 years living in Seoul, requiring supervisor intervention (Son's NZ-issued ticket with departure ICN on CX as and NZ codeshare, so a fight over 23 kg (NZ) vs 20 kg (CX) checked luggage....back in 2014).

I'd recommend contacting Air NZ, perhaps asking them to generate a letter or email asking OZ to waive the fee, or to charge only for ICN-TPE? You could try and bluff your way through but if that fails.....

A messy alternative is to ask to check the bag only to TPE, then enter the country, collect your bag, and re-check-in. This assumes you have time for this, and could be bothered (I wouldn't....).

flyer94 Aug 19, 2019 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi (Post 31431448)
Hi flyer94, welcome to FT!

I did a similar ICN-HND-AKL oneway trip in Jan last year. The difference was that I hold star alliance Gold status with THAI, so the extra bag was 'a given'. Koru Club is much less useful for an overseas based flyer, unless frequenting Air NZ flights.

Is this on an Air NZ ticket? What would the difference in cost actually be? That might be useful info to know for others giving advice.

1. Certainly OZ will check your bags through to AKL, that is the important part.

2. The second part of your question is less clear. OZ staff at ICN have been quite inflexible in my 4 years living in Seoul, requiring supervisor intervention (Son's NZ-issued ticket with departure ICN on CX as and NZ codeshare, so a fight over 23 kg (NZ) vs 20 kg (CX) checked luggage....back in 2014).

I'd recommend contacting Air NZ, perhaps asking them to generate a letter or email asking OZ to waive the fee, or to charge only for ICN-TPE? You could try and bluff your way through but if that fails.....

A messy alternative is to ask to check the bag only to TPE, then enter the country, collect your bag, and re-check-in. This assumes you have time for this, and could be bothered (I wouldn't....).

Hi Thai-Kiwi!

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated.

I booked this via Expedia as one ticket - how would I find out if this is an Air NZ ticket?
The difference in price is USD$50 - still a hefty amount of money for me.

I could try to bluff but I doubt OZ staff at ICN would even know anything about the Koru program - I'll just try to email Air NZ and see what they have to say - maybe they will send me a letter of some sort.

Yeah - I only have a 2.5hour layover and really CBF doing all the check-in procedures again. On another note, I will have access to the partner lounge at TPE right as a Koru member? I hope my boarding pass I receive at ICN states I'm a Koru so I have no issues getting in at TPE.....

Thanks,

nzkarit Aug 19, 2019 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by flyer94 (Post 31433933)
Hi Thai-Kiwi!

Thanks for your reply! Much appreciated.

I booked this via Expedia as one ticket - how would I find out if this is an Air NZ ticket?
The difference in price is USD$50 - still a hefty amount of money for me.

I could try to bluff but I doubt OZ staff at ICN would even know anything about the Koru program - I'll just try to email Air NZ and see what they have to say - maybe they will send me a letter of some sort.

Yeah - I only have a 2.5hour layover and really CBF doing all the check-in procedures again. On another note, I will have access to the partner lounge at TPE right as a Koru member? I hope my boarding pass I receive at ICN states I'm a Koru so I have no issues getting in at TPE.....

Thanks,

NZ ticket numbers start with 086.

For Koru access do you need to be on NZ ticket stock?

SilverTP Aug 19, 2019 10:19 pm

From Air New Zealand's website:

Lounge access is only available prior to the departure of your Air New Zealand operated and ticketed flight on the same day from the same terminal.
So if you are on NZ ticket for TPE-AKL, you'll have access to EVA The Club in TPE.

flyer94 Aug 20, 2019 12:16 am

Originally Posted by nzkarit (Post 31434361)
NZ ticket numbers start with 086.

For Koru access do you need to be on NZ ticket stock?

I just checked and my whole ticket/itinerary number starts with 086. For the TPE - AKL flight, I'm pretty sure it's marketed and operated by Air NZ so I should have no trouble accessing the EVA lounge at TPE hopefully...

Still don't know what's going to happen re the baggage issue....

Thai-Kiwi Aug 20, 2019 12:25 am

Originally Posted by flyer94 (Post 31434800)
I just checked and my whole ticket/itinerary number starts with 086. For the TPE - AKL flight, I'm pretty sure it's marketed and operated by Air NZ so I should have no trouble accessing the EVA lounge at TPE hopefully...

Still don't know what's going to happen re the baggage issue....

If the flight number ex-TPE is a 2 or 3 digit number (ie NZxxx) then it’ll be NZ operated. I’d get the NZ booking reference (ends in H, ie G5JKH, and enter that into manage my booking on NZ site, ensure your Airpoints number is entered, and see if you can pull up the baggage allowance. Or just call AirNZ.....

Otherwise you are probably out of luck with the extra bag departing ICN. You also won’t have lounge access at ICN for the initial departure on OZ.

Still, I’d rather just pay the $50 additional and check the bags from ICN rather than check bag only to TPE and muck around.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 20, 2019 12:37 am

Just made a dummy booking on AirZealand.co.kr. And there is a note as follows:

Air New Zealand Koru members are entitled to one additional standard piece of checked baggage without charge when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights. This offer is not applicable to fares which do not have a baggage allowance e.g. 'seat only' fares.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...76b8354d47.png

Top of climb Aug 20, 2019 2:37 pm

The prominent "Asiana Airlines baggage allowance applies" warning is probably conclusive too.

sweetaz Aug 21, 2019 5:48 am

I had a similar query around Chicago to Wellington. Was last year before direct flight. Was booked and ticketed via Air NZ. The Koru allowance and baggage explanations on the website was very confusing to the point of being contradictory so I called up and asked for clarification. I was told the United airlines leg would allow it. That I now know is wrong, they will not allow it, and added to this they charge the bag checked through the entire way, even though I would be flying NZ metal for the bulk of the trip, this is standard practice according to some statue, that generally is advantageous to passengers, but in this case for me was not.

They also made me remove items to get under the 50lbs limit. I was surprised I was even at that limit as I had measured carefully up to 23kg as per my ticket. 50lbs is 22.67kg, and yes she was that pedantic. Got the money back in airpoint dollars from Air NZ once I reiterated I wanted a copy of the taped conversation I had with their rep. Moral of the story, website is (or was) confusing, but no Koru gives you no entitlement :/

flyer94 Aug 22, 2019 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by sweetaz (Post 31439292)
I had a similar query around Chicago to Wellington. Was last year before direct flight. Was booked and ticketed via Air NZ. The Koru allowance and baggage explanations on the website was very confusing to the point of being contradictory so I called up and asked for clarification. I was told the United airlines leg would allow it. That I now know is wrong, they will not allow it, and added to this they charge the bag checked through the entire way, even though I would be flying NZ metal for the bulk of the trip, this is standard practice according to some statue, that generally is advantageous to passengers, but in this case for me was not.

They also made me remove items to get under the 50lbs limit. I was surprised I was even at that limit as I had measured carefully up to 23kg as per my ticket. 50lbs is 22.67kg, and yes she was that pedantic. Got the money back in airpoint dollars from Air NZ once I reiterated I wanted a copy of the taped conversation I had with their rep. Moral of the story, website is (or was) confusing, but no Koru gives you no entitlement :/

Damn... I might have to just fork it out. As I'm Korean, maybe my Korean could help explain the situation more to the OZ Korean check-in agents. I'll report back anyway once I'm back from the trip and let you guys know.

Thai-Kiwi Aug 22, 2019 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by flyer94 (Post 31445972)
damn... I might have to just fork it out. As i'm korean, maybe my korean could help explain the situation more to the oz korean check-in agents. I'll report back anyway once i'm back from the trip and let you guys know.

파이팅!! :)