Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

International Multi Stop Booking CHC - PVG - LHR

Old Aug 17, 19, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ

Hi - I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the collective wisdom here. I have tried searching many previous threads but I have been known to only have a 'boy look'.
My understanding is that the international multi stop tool on the Air NZ website is less than awesome. My question - what's a better option - research the flights you want then just book over the phone with Air NZ?
By way of background I'm looking at CHC to London via Shanghai. The tool only gives the option of the Virgin connection. I need the day in Shanghai for a meeting so am wanting to connect to the evening LH flight instead. One of the bonuses of LH is I can connect through to LCY rather than LHR.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:40 am

I think the multi stop will only show NZ code shares not all flights
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:45 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
I think the multi stop will only show NZ code shares not all flights
Ive booked HKG-LHR on CX coded flights before, e.g. choose to overnight rather than connect straight away.
Old Aug 19, 19, 10:31 pm

I have done similar and booked with a travel agent before. Ex-NZ but not AirNZ, but Star Alliance flights giving me a combination of Singapore / Swiss / Lufthansa in order to get the itinerary I wanted.
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ
Hi Team,

To give everyone a quick update and to spread my learning after calling and talking to Air NZ today:
  • Air NZ will only ticket Virgin or BA as onward connections from Shanghai to London.
  • I naively thought Star Alliance was some sort of alliance that would allow each member airline to book onto flights operated by other airlines in the alliance.
  • I was told it had something to do with fare buckets and what their system would allow them to do
  • Interestingly I can book the exact flights i want from Christchurch to London via Shanghai as a single Lufthansa ticket. It prices out very well to
  • The downside of a single Lufthansa ticket is that despite the Air NZ metal, will earn my very little in the way of SP for AirNZ
While I'd like the additional safety of a single ticket, I'm inclined to book a separate Shanghai return ticket and book a separate KLM/Air France ticket Shanghai to London return.

Any wisdom I'm overlooking?

Last edited by MountCook; Aug 26, 19 at 2:02 am Reason: typos
Old Aug 26, 19, 2:39 am

Have you tried speaking to a (decent) travel agent? They might be able to ticket everything together, but I suspect you may end up in a similar situation with low SP earn for AirNZ. I think my example above was ticketed via Swiss, which wasn't an issue for me as I was crediting to another programme. I only use AirNZ for domestic / trans-tasman mileage.

Re separate tickets I assume you know all the details re your responsibility if connections are missed etc. Flying that AKL-PVG-LHR route has had big delays before due to pollution? in China (generic article) which causes pilots to go over hours and needing new crew etc. I wouldn't personally be booking separate tickets unless I had a decent (overnight+) chunk of time between the flights. When I stop in Asia for a day of meetings I am usually on the same ticket so I don't have to bother with picking up bags and checking in again and getting boarding passes etc, which is likely a hassle if you are wanting to make the most of your limited time on the ground.

I assume the SP earn is only on AKL-PVG leg, so I wouldn't imagine the difference was that much?

Search this Thread