Domestic wifi?

Old Aug 16, 19, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Domestic wifi?

Without understanding the technical issues, how come NZ does not offer wifi on its domestic jet services?

Clearly a very significant percentage of travellers on those routes are travelling for work, and many regular travellers so they could make money, offer multi passes etc.

is there is a technical reason they cant stick wifi on these planes?
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by oranjemakker View Post
Without understanding the technical issues, how come NZ does not offer wifi on its domestic jet services?

Clearly a very significant percentage of travellers on those routes are travelling for work, and many regular travellers so they could make money, offer multi passes etc.

is there is a technical reason they cant stick wifi on these planes?
Cost of fit out not worth it.

Also how much time are you going to get with Wi-Fi on? Given it doesn't kick in to 15-20k or something. Only going to get 10-20min on a lot of flights.

Not sure if the NEOs offer Wi-Fi when they do domestic repositioning flights
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post

Also how much time are you going to get with Wi-Fi on? Given it doesn't kick in to 15-20k or something. Only going to get 10-20min on a lot of flights.
VA is able to offer domestic Wi-Fi gate2gate in Australia it should be do-able but would just require the right approvals etc.

If CASA approved it, surely the CAA would.... its usually the other way around with the CAA approving things before CASA.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
The cost is huge. I still don't understand why Air NZ are giving it away on all intl flights.
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
The cost is huge. I still don't understand why Air NZ are giving it away on all intl flights.
Long term itís probably cheaper than IFE contend, so I think there would be movtive to push people towards using so in the feature they could remove IFE from Y.

The weight saving if not having IFE would be massive, compared to the cost of offering WIFI.
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:33 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
Given it doesn't kick in to 15-20k or something. Only going to get 10-20min on a lot of flights.
Isn't is available immediately after the aircraft leaves the ground? That's been my experience when I've been on a Wifi enabled aircraft. On 777,787 and NEO operated domestic flights it's been available for the entire duration.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Nathan Catton View Post
Isn't is available immediately after the aircraft leaves the ground? That's been my experience when I've been on a Wifi enabled aircraft. On 777,787 and NEO operated domestic flights it's been available for the entire duration.
I find the SSID may be up after takeoff. But wasn't actually getting a connection to later on in the climb. By the time you were allowed to use a laptop it was up but not immediately. That was on a couple of 77W in the last week.
Old Aug 16, 19, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk View Post

VA is able to offer domestic Wi-Fi gate2gate in Australia it should be do-able but would just require the right approvals etc.

If CASA approved it, surely the CAA would.... its usually the other way around with the CAA approving things before CASA.
Different constellations. The VA and QF domestic connections from what I understand is the NBN service which is targeted for the Australian landmass. So will always be pretty high overhead.

I'm not fully aware of the orbits of the constellation AirNZ uses but they may actually need to be at X feet to get line of sight.
Old Aug 17, 19, 12:55 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Only Qantas uses the Sky Muster satellites deployed for the NBN. VA use Gogo 2Ku.

The reason Qantas can't offer Wi-Fi outside Australia is because their is no coverage. As Qantas have partnered with Viasat they won't be offering Wi-Fi on their international fleet until late 2022 when Viasat have launched their new satellites.

There are routes Air NZ have tail fade on incl AKL-WLG which suffers from coverage issues (doesn't the other way as this is just a tail fade issue).
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Domestic WIFI is alive

Hi all

Iím currently posting this from NZ558 CHC-AKL, a new A320/1NEO plane. I donít like the narrow seat (luckily there is no one in the middle seat on this flight or weíd both be very uncomfortable), by the WIFI is working fine and was available about 2 minutes after takeoff.
Old Aug 27, 19, 10:49 pm

Have to say its the best aircraft WIFI I have used so far. Was able to watch Netflix comfortably from takeoff to landing on NZ850 last week. FA told me she could see 87 people were connected so it must have great bandwidth. Lucky as my IFE screen wouldn't boot up at all even after several resets.

On a previous NEO flight a week earlier my IFE locked up after I clicked the Map. FA told me "don't use the inflight map it always does that". Came back on after a reset.

Wonder how long WIFI will remain free?
Old Aug 28, 19, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Shamrock55 View Post
Wonder how long WIFI will remain free?
Think it will be long term, and will eventually replace the supplied IFE content via the seat back screens.

Old Aug 28, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ *G
I can see that happening too.

On my flight today the IFE was working but super slow (and of course there were no headphones) so web browsing was way better. I didnít try to stream anything but saw a note on the IFE saying the WIFI is not intended to support streaming.

Search this Thread