Status Boost Journeys

Old Aug 10, 19, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Status Boost Journeys

Has anyone received any status boost journeys ?
If so is
1: A journey a sector eg WLG-AKL
2: A complete Journey to destination eg WLG -AKL- LAX
3: A complete journey to the start eg WLG-AKL-LAX-AKL-WLG
is equal to one journey
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:26 pm

Programs: Air NZ Koru, Air NZ ELT *G, IHG Spire Ambassador, Emirates, Flying Blue, QANTAS Club
I have received 8

AKL - SYD
SYD - AKL

AKL - NPL
NPL - AKL

AKL - SYD
SYD - AKL

AKL - SYD
SYD - AKL

Status boost journeys now show in App.
Old Aug 10, 19, 4:53 pm

Programs: NZ*G
My partner flew WLG-NPL return last weekend, however the return flight was cancelled and he was re-booked to WLG via AKL.
He received 3 ďjourneysĒ for this weekend.
So we were just discussing if a journey is a flight??
Maybe this was an anomaly given the cancelled flight. Interested to hear of other peopleís multi-flight trips. He also received extra status points compared to what was originally booked, so made up for the extra 3 hours travelling on a Sunday night!
Old Aug 10, 19, 5:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by MaestroNZ View Post
My partner flew WLG-NPL return last weekend, however the return flight was cancelled and he was re-booked to WLG via AKL.
He received 3 “journeys” for this weekend.
So we were just discussing if a journey is a flight??
Maybe this was an anomaly given the cancelled flight. Interested to hear of other people’s multi-flight trips. He also received extra status points compared to what was originally booked, so made up for the extra 3 hours travelling on a Sunday night!
Nothing abnormal about this. It's how it works and has done for many years.

A journey is not, and never has been a "flight". You can also have multiple flights on the same day in the same direction that will be converted to a single journey by the backend system when Airpoints are processed.

For the purposes of the new status boost scheme Air NZ still can't tell me what a journey is. Because of the complexities of Airpoints I simply don't think they know.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
My guess is if the flights are credited as 1 transaction it's one journey. If there are 2 transactions on your statement its 2 journeys.
Old Aug 10, 19, 7:20 pm

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo View Post
Thanks, thatís good to know. Iíve got 4, for return flights from AKL to WGN and CHC. It will be interesting to see how my AKL-LAX-LHR-LAX-AKL trip is treated next month. I assume it will count as four flights/journeys.
Old Aug 10, 19, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by gratn View Post

Thanks, that’s good to know. I’ve got 4, for return flights from AKL to WGN and CHC. It will be interesting to see how my AKL-LAX-LHR-LAX-AKL trip is treated next month. I assume it will count as four flights/journeys.
If you're booked on NZ2 and only transiting LAX I'd only expect that to be two journeys.
Old Aug 10, 19, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
If you're booked on NZ2 and only transiting LAX I'd only expect that to be two journeys.
Iím following your recommendation and doing the NZ6/NZ2 and NZ1/NZ5 options to make the LAX transit less unpleasant, but even if I was going NZ2 and NZ1 all the way Iíd still be miffed at each way being one journey. Air NZ might decide to interpret their new rules that way, butís a different question.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:12 pm

Deleting duplicate post

Last edited by gratn; Aug 11, 19 at 12:43 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Aug 10, 19, 11:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by gratn View Post

Iím following your recommendation and doing the NZ6/NZ2 and NZ1/NZ5 options to make the LAX transit less unpleasant, but even if I was going NZ2 and NZ1 all the way Iíd still be miffed at each way being one journey. Air NZ might decide to interpret their new rules that way, butís a different question.
It will most likely be considered one journey. A journey is defined by the airline as the point of origin and destination, including any stopovers.

For example, AKL-LAX-LON and v.v. is one journey in each direction if it's all on one ticket.
Old Aug 11, 19, 12:26 am

I would only expect either NZ1/2 or 1/5 or 2/6 trip to be considered a single journey for the purpose on the status boost. These are two trips in the same direction (which is the key here).

Likewise I'd expect a single journey if you travel WLG-AKL-KKE on a single ticket but two journeys for WLG-AKL-ROT on a single ticket. If you travel WLG-NPL-AKL on two seperate tickets on the same day this will also be a single journey.

The problem as I've already mentioned is that Air NZ don't have a definition for a journey in the T&C and can't provide a definition if you ask because they can't due to the complexities of Airpoints.
Old Aug 11, 19, 1:41 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
The problem as I've already mentioned is that Air NZ don't have a definition for a journey in the T&C and can't provide a definition if you ask because they can't due to the complexities of Airpoints.
They do appear to under the AP Terms & Conditions

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...and-conditions
Old Aug 11, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
They do appear to under the AP Terms & Conditions

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/airp...and-conditions
I suspect there are combinations of flights set up in NZ's system which define a journey, eg., SYD-AKL-LAX. But there are combinations that they haven't thought of and aren't set up, eg., PVG-AKL-EZE, that don't even have available earn rates, in which case earning will be by sector. This could explain why a previous poster who had a flight cancellation that had to take a detour via AKL had 2 journeys.
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:03 am

Programs: AirNZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by kiwicyclo View Post

Where abouts in the App?
Old Aug 11, 19, 4:46 am

In the AirPoints tab under ďyour benefits ď

Search this Thread