FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air New Zealand | Air Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points-440/)
-   -   Airpoints Data Breach (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-new-zealand-air-points/1982201-airpoints-data-breach.html)

Flygirlnz Aug 8, 2019 7:59 pm

Airpoints Data Breach

Struggling to actually understand ... they’re actually saying

We’re sorry to advise that some of your personal information may have been affected by a recent phishing incident relating to two Air New Zealand staff accounts.

What information could have been accessed?

While your Airpoints™ account was not accessed, some information relating to your membership profile may have been visible in our internal documents. Your Airpoints password and your credit card details are not affected.

What is Air New Zealand doing?

We have secured the two affected accounts and are conducting a thorough investigation. We’re also focused on further hardening our security processes to help prevent any similar incidents from happening in the future.

What can you do?

We would encourage you to be on the lookout for phishing emails over the next few months. We’ve included some tips for spotting these below. Remember, we will never ask you for credit card details or login information in an email.

If you have any further questions, please email us at [email protected]?subject=RE...ersonal%20data.

Kind Regards,

Jeremy O’Brien

Regional General Manager, Loyalty & Customer Direct

bce1 Aug 8, 2019 8:33 pm

I was told it was the gold / elite lists.
Im interested if anyone who isn’t gold/elite got the email, as Air NZ saying effected 70,000, 3.5% of membership..... so might give us an insight as to numbers.

BCE

jeffrocowboy Aug 8, 2019 8:45 pm

I'm Elite Partner (Silver in own right) - got the email

My other half who is Jade (and not the Elite person who gives me status) - no email

And agree written very obscurely

Flygirlnz Aug 8, 2019 9:28 pm

We are 2 x Elites and 2 x Elite partner. All 4 of us got it

kathkiwi Aug 8, 2019 10:33 pm

Silver. No email.

brucelee Aug 8, 2019 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by bce1 (Post 31395932)
I was told it was the gold / elite lists.
Im interested if anyone who isn’t gold/elite got the email, as Air NZ saying effected 70,000, 3.5% of membership..... so might give us an insight as to numbers.

BCE

My wife got one and she is Jade.

freemark Aug 8, 2019 10:45 pm

Probably just someone from the COL Govt trying to find something more to tax..

Beano Aug 8, 2019 10:51 pm

Data breech

Originally Posted by freemark (Post 31396177)
Probably just someone from the COL Govt trying to find something more to tax..

Haha like the UK tax on premium seats
the government will tax all the Gold and Elites 😁

kiwifrequentflyer Aug 8, 2019 11:10 pm

My partner who is Gold got the email. I am elite and I did not get the email.

Flygirlnz Aug 8, 2019 11:20 pm

i think my trouble is...WHAT information? They’ve told us what it’s NOT. But what has been compromised? Be fascinated to know what they’re even holding on us. I feel a privacy act request coming on.

Trumpkin Aug 9, 2019 1:01 am

I suspect they are being very careful with what they announce to minimise the risk to their brand, but not realising that there will be a lot of people who will get the emails who are wise enough to dig deeper into not just what was said, but also what wasn't said. This is especially so if the list of those affected is some / all of Elite / Gold / Silver.

The fact that there were two staff accounts breached raises a lot of questions.

I'm a silver (ex-Elite / Gold) and I got the email.

For Jade people, have they ever shared a PNR / received a gifted APD / RU / been on a gifting register or anything similar to link them to an Elite / Gold / Silver?

kiwicyclo Aug 9, 2019 1:03 am

Elite and Elite Partner - email received.

Also so found it very hard today to convince premium customer team I had authority to modify a staff members flight. Usually very easy. Could be unrelated.

Trumpkin Aug 9, 2019 1:55 am

Originally Posted by kiwicyclo (Post 31396451)
Also so found it very hard today to convince premium customer team I had authority to modify a staff members flight. Usually very easy. Could be unrelated.

I'm used to just having to confirm that I'd asked them first and got their permission to make a change.

An updated report on Stuff which seems to be using a post on Geekzone:From the comments it appears that info known to have been exposed via the breach includes:
  • Name
  • Occupation
  • Employer
  • Email
  • Address
  • Phone
  • Airpoints status
  • Airpoints balance
  • Airpoints number

RedVee Aug 9, 2019 2:37 am

So I got the email (Elite) and so did my daughter (Elite partner, no status). I’ve also emailed to ask what data was breached, rather than what they said wasn’t breached.

RSkipage Aug 9, 2019 3:30 am

Im annoyed in respect to three points:
1. Air NZ is sorry to advise", not "sorry for their security failure related to the protection of my information"
2. They advised the Privacy Commission on the 31st of July, yet its taken them 9 days to advise the information owners - it seems most of whom are supposedly their most valued clients
3. I think we are all owed a categorical assurance that passport information has not been phished, or that any other data profiling / analysis they have done in regard to information they hold on us has been released

How Air NZ handle this is critical - not just the incident itself!