Service on NZ283/NZ284 in J ?

Old Aug 4, 19, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Service on NZ283/NZ284 in J ?

Hello,

Iím flying to NZ from Scandinavia in mid November and our final legs are on NZ283/284.
We are running a full marathon, so optimising meals and sleep during travels is a must.
Therefor very curious about the service offered on this route.
I have flown the route before but then it was the opposite, a daytime flight from SIN and then a 1AM departure from AKL going back.

NZ283 with a 6.45 PM departure and 9.30 AM arrival time Iím guessing dinner and breakfast. Are they both full meals or is one of them a lighter option? Is there really any time to sleep in btw? How do most travellers plan it? Skip one meal or if so which one?

NZ284 with a 11.am dep and 4.30 pm arrival. What is the meal service like? Lunch and then dinner or a lighter snack?

How are the crowds (weekdays mid November)?
Operated by a b7879, how do i know which config? Ticketed on SQ, so dont have a NZ booking ref and canít access seating maps. SQ reserved seats 6 and 7A for us. Good choice?

Any other tips or information?

Thank you?
Old Aug 4, 19, 5:42 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
I haven't done NZ283 but I have done NZ284. You will have a full lunch at the start, about half-way through there's a light refreshment service (sandwiches, sweet pastries etc.), and then a full dinner service prior to landing.

For NZ283, being a night flights, it will probably be like NZ's other overnight flights of dinner after departure and breakfast prior to landing.
Old Aug 4, 19, 6:48 am

NZ283 is a 9.5 hour flight, though one of my flights was much less than 9 hours.

The first dinner service will not end until at least 2 hours into the flight.

Breakfast starts when the flight approaches the Australian east coast or about 2.5 hours from Auckland.

So, not a lot of sleep in between if you want all the meals.

I suggest you eat at the lounge before the flight, skip dinner and do breakfast.

I visited both the T2 and the larger T3 SQ lounge and on 2 occasions, a week apart, they were serving made to order meals (small corner noodle/rice bar) in the smaller T2 lounge before the NZ283 departure when none at the larger T3 lounge. Of course both lounges offer very good buffet selections.

Knowing this, I checked in, got my boarding pass, went to the Jewel, then entered airside from T2. Had my bite at T2, then took the T2 to T3 link that passed through the Jewel.

IMO, T2 being smaller, the food doesn't run out as quick and is just as good as T3, if not better since the noodle/rice bar is operating. Both lounges stock Laurent Perrier.

15mins to get to gate for a fit person like you would be about right.
Old Aug 4, 19, 3:09 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints Elite
Originally Posted by LadyBell View Post

NZ283 with a 6.45 PM departure and 9.30 AM arrival time Iím guessing dinner and breakfast. Are they both full meals or is one of them a lighter option? Is there really any time to sleep in btw? How do most travellers plan it? Skip one meal or if so which one?

NZ284 with a 11.am dep and 4.30 pm arrival. What is the meal service like? Lunch and then dinner or a lighter snack?

How are the crowds (weekdays mid November)?
Operated by a b7879, how do i know which config? Ticketed on SQ, so dont have a NZ booking ref and canít access seating maps. SQ reserved seats 6 and 7A for us. Good choice?
On the inbound flight, you can request the crew to wake you up a little later and ask for a light breakfast (being a light sleeper, I get woken up anyway due to the noise in the cabin as breakfast service begins).
I travelled mid week last year during NZ winter and the cabin was full
It is 1-1-1 config, the seats you have been assigned are good (standard J seats) and away from the toilets.

seat map

Sounds like you're here to run the Queenstown marathon in November ?
Old Aug 5, 19, 1:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, CX Diamond, IHG Platinum Ambassador, 1865 Voyager, HHonors Gold
SQ reserved seats 6 and 7A for us. Good choice?
Forgot to mention that you should try to get 5A/6A or 8A/9A. 7A has no window.
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by poopbunny View Post
NZ283 is a 9.5 hour flight, though one of my flights was much less than 9 hours.

The first dinner service will not end until at least 2 hours into the flight.

Breakfast starts when the flight approaches the Australian east coast or about 2.5 hours from Auckland.

So, not a lot of sleep in between if you want all the meals.

I suggest you eat at the lounge before the flight, skip dinner and do breakfast.

I visited both the T2 and the larger T3 SQ lounge and on 2 occasions, a week apart, they were serving made to order meals (small corner noodle/rice bar) in the smaller T2 lounge before the NZ283 departure when none at the larger T3 lounge. Of course both lounges offer very good buffet selections.

Knowing this, I checked in, got my boarding pass, went to the Jewel, then entered airside from T2. Had my bite at T2, then took the T2 to T3 link that passed through the Jewel.

IMO, T2 being smaller, the food doesn't run out as quick and is just as good as T3, if not better since the noodle/rice bar is operating. Both lounges stock Laurent Perrier.

15mins to get to gate for a fit person like you would be about right.
Thank you! Dinner and a shower in the lounge and then (hopefully) straight to sleep after take off seems like the best plan.

We are doing an 11hour transit at SIN coming from Europe early morning so being tired after take off is No problem.

Cant wait to se the Jewel, passet through SIN in april and it wasnt open yet.
While we are at it? There are several lounges at each terminal, right? Which are you refereing to?
I am *A gold, husband is silver (but No status with either SQ or NZ)
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
I haven't done NZ283 but I have done NZ284. You will have a full lunch at the start, about half-way through there's a light refreshment service (sandwiches, sweet pastries etc.), and then a full dinner service prior to landing.

For NZ283, being a night flights, it will probably be like NZ's other overnight flights of dinner after departure and breakfast prior to landing.

Thank you! Very useful info. Will have to be careful not to over eat
Old Aug 5, 19, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gambda View Post
On the inbound flight, you can request the crew to wake you up a little later and ask for a light breakfast (being a light sleeper, I get woken up anyway due to the noise in the cabin as breakfast service begins).

Sounds like you're here to run the Queenstown marathon in November ?

Thank you, Iím a light sleeper too. But usually not a breakfast person. On overnight flights I usually accept breakfast to pass some time since Iím awake anyways...

Yeah! We are running the Queenstown Marathon, please keep your fingers crossed for a bright sunny day (but not too hot) 🤞🏻
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LyingFlat View Post
Forgot to mention that you should try to get 5A/6A or 8A/9A. 7A has no window.
Thank you! I had no idea! Will definitely want to grab window seats.
Since we have been assigned row 7, this is the config with the bigger BP cabin. What happens if the aircraft type is switched? The one of us seated I row 7 (that Doesent exist on config 1) will end up... where?

is there anyway I could get hold of a NZ booking ref to do the seat selection myself ?

Iíve tried this but the only way seems to be emailing with SQ Copenhagen office who donít really know the firs thing about anything ( sorry Sq). I had to send 3 emails and enclose seat maps bc they insisted on assigning us J+K seats claiming they were together
Old Aug 5, 19, 5:19 pm

Programs: Air NZ Airpoints Elite

Yeah! We are running the Queenstown Marathon, please keep your fingers crossed for a bright sunny day (but not too hot) 🤞🏻
Nice one! I ran it 3 years ago and it was a calm day, no rain or wind and the sun came out as I approached the finish line.
Weather can be a bit hit and miss at that time of the year (it was bucketing down the year before as the race started).
Anyways, you will love the scenery along the way. Have fun !
Old Aug 5, 19, 10:18 pm

Programs: NZ Koru

is there anyway I could get hold of a NZ booking ref to do the seat selection myself ?
If you call SQ they should be able to give you the NZ PNR - all NZ PNRís end with H so that should give you an hint if they are giving you the right thing.
Old Aug 6, 19, 2:54 am

You can also call NZ and give them your SQ ticket number (begins with 618). They should be able to retrieve your booking off that.
Old Aug 6, 19, 6:33 am

Thank you! Dinner and a shower in the lounge and then (hopefully) straight to sleep after take off seems like the best plan.

We are doing an 11hour transit at SIN coming from Europe early morning so being tired after take off is No problem.

Cant wait to se the Jewel, passet through SIN in april and it wasnt open yet.
While we are at it? There are several lounges at each terminal, right? Which are you refereing to?
I am *A gold, husband is silver (but No status with either SQ or NZ)
According to this post, Business Class is good enough to get you both access to the "superior" Silver Kris lounge (as opposed to the Kris Flyer cupboard for *Alliance, I find the word Kris in both confusing).

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24168510-post3.html
In addition, from 6 January 2015, Business Class passengers, Elite members and Elite Partners, when connecting to or from an Air New Zealand or Singapore Airlines flight between New Zealand and Singapore, can access the Singapore Airlines SilverKris Business Class lounge in Singapore.

There are 2 of these SilverKris lounges with showers (and 2 more Kris Flyer lounges, food actually not bad, but no showers in KF).
- Terminal 3 (larger of the 2) (near Transfer A) and closer to the A gates the NZ flight is likely to depart from (likely, at the end, eg. Gate A15), this terminal serves mostly long haul flights.
- Terminal 2 (smaller lounge) (near Transfer E) - serves mostly regional flights. As far as I can tell, the buffet food offerings are no worse than Terminal 3. Before my last 2 NZ263 departues, it was better, less crowded (the made to order, manned noodle/rice bar) at the corner were opened (where there was none at the larger Terminal 3). Hopefully they will be serving those delicous prawn wonton egg noodles in broth when you visit. If you don't like what you see, you can leave and make your way to the closer T3 lounge.

There are 5 light rails connecting Terminals 1, 2 & 3. Of these, 2 of them connect T2 with T3 on either end, one of which, passes through the Jewel.
They run every 2 or 3 minutes and only take about 2 or 3 minutes. You can of course easily "marathon" your way through from T2 to T3 via T1 by foot.

There is also an airside transit hotel in each Terminal, and a hotel in the Jewel too.
Flying East is hard. I suggest you stay awake and tired during your layover, then you should be able to sleep shortly after your takeoff. Once you sleep (layover), maybe difficult to stay awake when on board.
Onboard, I suggest picking one hot item from the menu (dinner/breakfast) and having that for breakfast before landing.
Eyeshades and earplugs are provided, you will need them, because there is some foot traffic during the meal service when you sleep. NZ herringbone layout does not help here.
Seat 9 next to the lavatory was OK, I never heard anyone using it. If anything, maybe the magazine rack overhead behind you, if someone rifles through it.

Last edited by poopbunny; Aug 6, 19 at 6:58 am
Old Aug 6, 19, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@LadyBell
I flew NZ284 in Novemebr and while the menu is different, perhaps you can get a sense of the flow of the service and so on from my post and photos.
Have a great marathon run.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30402027-post50.html
LadyBell likes this.
Old Aug 6, 19, 10:57 pm

I came back on NZ283 last month - departed from Terminal 3. Departed late but arrived early - flight time was shortened by between 1-2hrs due to strong tailwinds - little time for sleep between end of dinner service and commencing breakfast service. Had one of the best J crews Iíve experienced in recent times.

In my opinion the food in the Terminal 3 SATS lounge was preferable to SilverKris - I was surprised when I presented my Priority Pass that SATS told me it was unnecessary as they accepted NZ J - I thought they were only a *A contract lounge for some airlines which didnít include NZ. I found that there were few power points in SilverKris which was annoying as wanted to recharge phone after all day meeting. Drinks were fine in both lounges but SilverKris may have been better wrt drinks.
poopbunny and LadyBell like this.

Search this Thread