Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Best CC for insurance with pre-existing conditions?

Old Jul 30, 19, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: air new zealand

Have just been declined the "pay $100 and get your pre existing conditions covered" with the ANZ Airpoints credit card insurer, Allianz. I'm 64 and the pre-existing condition is hypertension. Can get pre-existing cover from Southern Cross for $91. But of course I have to buy the original insurance. For safety, will do that. But does anyone have experience or a view if other Airpoints credit cards offer better cover. Lot of travel coming up and don't want to have to buy insurance if another cc 'free' insurance does the job better than Allianz. Or are you all younger and healthier, you lucky things!
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:15 pm

Traveling with my wife a few years ago we where rejected paying extra to cover her pre-existing conditions with the KiwiBank Airpoints Platinum card. We ended up booking separate insurance for her with World Care as they would cover her pre-existing for a reasonable price.
Old Jul 30, 19, 11:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks niallm90. Will put Kiwibank in the not-so-helpful box then, and will look at cost for World Care cover. Good advice, thanks.
Old Jul 31, 19, 1:20 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Air NZ Airpoints, Koru, NZ*S and former *G
I have used Westpac Platinum CC insurance with add on for pre-existing conditions in the past, but in my experience it can depend on the condition and the destination. For example I was able to get cover recently for trips to UK, Fiji, Singapore and Australia but declined for USA.
Old Jul 31, 19, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Aha, get it that destinations may be the problem. We're not USA but we are Europe and Japan. Wonder how expensive it is to have a heart attack in Japan? Just kidding!
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:06 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by kathkiwi View Post
Thanks niallm90. Will put Kiwibank in the not-so-helpful box then, and will look at cost for World Care cover. Good advice, thanks.
Maybe it depends on who you speak to, but I've had hypertension for over 30 years, have always declared it as a pre-existing condition to (initially) BNZ CC and then Kiwibank CC, but as there is no pre-existing cardiac condition have been approved without penalty. The fact that medications have remained unchanged for years probably helps. This would cover at least 30 overseas trips.
Old Jul 31, 19, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Zoovet, like you, have always declared it, always been approved. Until now. Thinking about the replies here, I called again this morning. Got approved for pre-existing via the PAID insurance at the bank, with the same underwriter. Enquired further and was told the 'complementary' insurance has tighter conditions than the paid insurance. Seems to me they may have tightened the conditions on the free cover. Or suddenly I got older (64) and don't qualify so easily. Ah well, will just have to add insurance to the travel budget for future, and not rely on it as part of credit card benefits.
Old Jul 31, 19, 6:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Elite, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by zoovet View Post
Maybe it depends on who you speak to, but I've had hypertension for over 30 years, have always declared it as a pre-existing condition to (initially) BNZ CC and then Kiwibank CC, but as there is no pre-existing cardiac condition have been approved without penalty. The fact that medications have remained unchanged for years probably helps. This would cover at least 30 overseas trips.
obviously practices vary - Southern Cross Travel Insurance charges a premium if you have hypertension (even if stable and medications unchanged).
Old Oct 8, 19, 3:05 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Yesterday I sought cover on my Kiwibank card for forthcoming trips to Japan and Costa Rica. For pre-existing conditions I declared that I had hypertension, kept under control with medication, (among other things) and they accepted the cover with a small extra payment. Interestingly, even though the conditions mentioned requiring pre-existing cover were exactly the same as a year ago, the extra amount of money required dropped from $150 to $100 for each trip!
Old Oct 9, 19, 3:07 am

Programs: NZ*G, United.
A couple of years since I last used the facility but Amex Platinum covered a family member with type 1 diabetes at no extra charge.
Old Oct 9, 19, 5:15 pm

Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand GE, SPG
I rang Amex cc insurance, got put through to Chubb insurers. The woman said that they won't cover hypertension with the credit card policy, even if you pay extra. So looking around for other options. Gets complicated if you've already paid some prepaid expenses on the charge card. It appears that that credit card insurance is really only of use for the rental car excess it covers.

Just wondering, can anyone recommend a multi trip insurer that you've had good experience with. I might go down that route and just pay up!
Old Oct 10, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: RFC
I've had decent experiences with World Nomads and, in years past I've used Mike Henry Ins brokerage in Auckland for 12 month multi-trip business travel policies with AIG. Had some low level claims with WN that were straight forward and some big claims (NZ$25k+) with MH that were more of a pain, but they covered a medical emergency without question in Japan - that bill was eye wateringly large.
Old Oct 14, 19, 9:43 pm

Programs: Qantas, Air New Zealand GE, SPG
Thanks James. I've signed up with 1cover for multi trip insurance based on the google reviews. I found amex (Chubb) won't even allow you to pay extra premium to cover hypertension, even if it's under control whereas 1cover would. I didn't have much time to shop around as I was travelling later that day. Anyway hope I don't even need to use it...

Search this Thread