Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Changing domestic connecting flight (DOM-INTL) - wisdom sought

Old Jul 19, 19, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold

Kia ora! Have searched, but haven't located any wisdom on outbound vs. inbound flights.

Flying WLG-AKL-IAH next month, and have been booked on NZ444 ex WLG (1645-1750), connecting to NZ28 departing at 1930. No opportunity to select another WLG-AKL flight at the time of booking on the Air NZ website.

What are the chances of asking for an earlier departure ex WLG at the airport, on the day of departure (subject to availability, of course).

Booked and paid Premium Economy, in case that is of relevance.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:29 pm

Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by HaaZe View Post
Kia ora! Have searched, but haven't located any wisdom on outbound vs. inbound flights.

Flying WLG-AKL-IAH next month, and have been booked on NZ444 ex WLG (1645-1750), connecting to NZ28 departing at 1930. No opportunity to select another WLG-AKL flight at the time of booking on the Air NZ website.

What are the chances of asking for an earlier departure ex WLG at the airport, on the day of departure (subject to availability, of course).

Booked and paid Premium Economy, in case that is of relevance.

Thanks in advance!
What is the fare class for the economy sector WLG-AKL? I suspect it is in full Y, and that you might be able to change to an earlier flight during checkin providing seats are available.

Indeed, you might even be able to change it in advance using manage my booking and change flight ...
Old Jul 19, 19, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi View Post
What is the fare class for the economy sector WLG-AKL? I suspect it is in full Y, and that you might be able to change to an earlier flight during checkin providing seats are available.

Indeed, you might even be able to change it in advance using manage my booking and change flight ...
Thank you, Thai-Kiwi. WLG-AKL is indeed Y on my ticket, so I shall try at the airport. No luck online under Manage my booking, directed to the 0800 number for any changes.
Old Jul 20, 19, 12:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Doesn't matter about the fare class - the fare basis determines this is a connecting ticket.

Until the introduction of married fares domestic connections were fully flexi fares.

Technically speaking now they're not, and there is no obligation on staff to change these. I routinely change my outbound connections to AKL though, and have had no trouble changing these at WLG on the day since the move to married fares. Staff have no issues doing this if you're nice..

Calling won't do anything. Call centre staff have no ability to make changes as the fare is not one that can be changed.
​​​​​
​​
Old Aug 18, 19, 11:48 pm
Original Poster

Thank you everybody!

I asked at check-in and there was no problem in accommodating my request.

Side note: Thanks to Fast Track (RU was accepted), I made a very speedy connection. Doors open at DOM at 4:45pm. Seated in Intíl Koru Lounge at 5:01pm. Wow!
Old Aug 19, 19, 11:54 am

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AP Diamond
Originally Posted by HaaZe View Post
Thank you everybody!

I asked at check-in and there was no problem in accommodating my request.

Side note: Thanks to Fast Track (RU was accepted), I made a very speedy connection. Doors open at DOM at 4:45pm. Seated in Intíl Koru Lounge at 5:01pm. Wow!
Nicely done on both counts, enjoy the flight.

Search this Thread