Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:09 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Eltham

The similarity is that a lot of so-called “experts” are making bucketloads of money out of it and are completely unaccountable. None of us will be around to know.
Huh, speak for yourself? My generation is the one that is going to be dealing full force with this.
Erasmus III likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
Huh, speak for yourself? My generation is the one that is going to be dealing full force with this.
Oh, it'll be waaaay worse in 250 years - so just relax. You won't see the the FULL force of climate change (or NZ's efforts at cost-cutting )
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 1:32 am

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer
i don’t know what your generation is but I can assure you that you won’t be around to see any conclusive evidence either way (and there certainly is none yet, despite what the “experts” say). Just to be clear I’m not saying we shouldn’t be doing things which are less harmful to the environment, but that’s just common sense as opposed to the particular bandwagon that many have jumped on.
trooper and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Eltham

i don’t know what your generation is but I can assure you that you won’t be around to see any conclusive evidence either way (and there certainly is none yet, despite what the “experts” say).
So you're not convinced by a heated atmosphere, disappearing glaciers, major loss of arctic and antarctic ice, increased and worsening cyclonic activity and sea level rise?? I wish I could walk around with my eyes closed, but perhaps I am as this is seriously off-topic!
Erasmus III and Eltham like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:51 pm

Major loss of Arctic and Antarctic Ice? Not according to many authorities.... It makes my head spin - all the claims and counter claims...
Old Jul 14, 2019, 7:56 pm

Well that escalated quickly.

Going back to the OP, I wonder how many pax actually need a water bottle? Would a solution be to have them available on demand/at the back of cabin?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Water bottles

Does the koru lounge have canned water (still or soda) or plastic water bottles ?
(with Auckland include the strata lounge as that is also used by Airnz)
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by Chessboxin
Well that escalated quickly.
It sure did.

The bottom line: Any attempt to portray this as anything but cost-cutting 'sustainability theatre' is disingenuous to the real issues of sustainability and climate change. If Air NZ were ultra-concerned about the plastic, the bottles would be replaced with an alternative, and one that may actually cost more to implement, e.g. fully degradable bottles etc. But I think we all know that there is no way that is going to happen. At the same time, it is a business that is trying to stay profitable in a tricky environment (no pun), so two sides to everything.

All said and done, water is a basic need, and if I struggle in the future to have easy (instant) access to hydration when flying, due to some bizarrro attempt to cost save, that is a bad look for an airline whose premium cabins are not cheap to fly in. However you slice it, taking in-seat water sources away will blatantly deliver you less hydrated passengers on average.
poopbunny and Bub001 like this.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (21),QF G, NZ E, IHG D Amb, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat, Hertz P
Originally Posted by zoovet
So you're not convinced by a heated atmosphere, disappearing glaciers, major loss of arctic and antarctic ice, increased and worsening cyclonic activity and sea level rise?? I wish I could walk around with my eyes closed, but perhaps I am as this is seriously off-topic!
No I’m not and agreed, this is way OT.
libertyuk likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
It sure did.

The bottom line: Any attempt to portray this as anything but cost-cutting 'sustainability theatre' is disingenuous to the real issues of sustainability and climate change. If Air NZ were ultra-concerned about the plastic, the bottles would be replaced with an alternative, and one that may actually cost more to implement, e.g. fully degradable bottles etc. But I think we all know that there is no way that is going to happen. At the same time, it is a business that is trying to stay profitable in a tricky environment (no pun), so two sides to everything.

All said and done, water is a basic need, and if I struggle in the future to have easy (instant) access to hydration when flying, due to some bizarrro attempt to cost save, that is a bad look for an airline whose premium cabins are not cheap to fly in. However you slice it, taking in-seat water sources away will blatantly deliver you less hydrated passengers on average.
Nobody needs to dehydrate. There's a call bell. Push it and ask for water. They also do a drinks run. Ask for a drink.

Taking your own water bottle is a viable solution. You can use it in cars, at work, the gym etc Why do I get the feeling the small effort is beyond some people?
NZ_Flyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by Beano
Does the koru lounge have canned water (still or soda) or plastic water bottles ?
(with Auckland include the strata lounge as that is also used by Airnz)
No plastic water bottles (drinking and hot water from the tap) but there are still cans of soda water. Unless there a some smaller regional lounges that don’t have a filtered water source (none that I know of)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JayKiwi
It sure did.

It does need to be remembered that water is only being removed on short haul TT and Islands flights. Air NZ serve plenty of water on these flights particularly as the premium meal service in BP is ongoing for well over 1hr of a 3hr flight let alone the preflight and post takeoff drinks. I don't agree with this move, but to suggest people will be dehydrated is frankly a bit of a stretch.

I often drink 2-3 bottles at least on overnight on long haul flights so if they got rid of those and I had to get up or call a crew member to come and fill a bottle it would be a real pain.

Last edited by sbiddle; Jul 15, 2019 at 3:00 pm
Old Jul 17, 2019, 2:19 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
I wouldn't be too surprised to see people drinking less of the water and instead drinking more beer and / or wine. This could easily offset the cost savings.
poopbunny and ps107 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Trumpkin
I wouldn't be too surprised to see people drinking less of the water and instead drinking more beer and / or wine. This could easily offset the cost savings.
And champagne/wine bottles are heavier so more weight that has to be carried. Would be embarrassing for them to have to announce they had run out.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by drajknox
And champagne/wine bottles are heavier so more weight that has to be carried. Would be embarrassing for them to have to announce they had run out.
Don't be surprised when they announce they're switching to cask wine to save weight as an environmental initiative
poopbunny, West45 and Bub001 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.