Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Another enhancement - Goodbye water bottles

Reply

Old Jul 11, 19, 5:33 pm
  #46  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 2,187
Originally Posted by mad_atta View Post
Oooh now that's a result! I've tried asking for it but never successfully... though come to think of that, I may have been on a TT flight.

Having said that, I could have sworn that we got pre-departure drinks in PE trans-Tasman recently, but now I'm doubting myself... though it's always been inconsistent, I think some crews just decide to do it anyway even if it's not strictly part of the protocol. Given that it's Dulcet, I've learned not to touch it.

The one exception was when they were running the Hi-Fly aircraft on AKL-SYD, and in addition to getting (old school) business class seats if you were booked in PE, you also got business class booze instead of the economy swill. Happy days!
Yeah I said I was not impressed with the Dulcet and when the FSM came around i simply asked, and they kept topping up. Doesn't always work but worth a try.
Rebound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 7:05 pm
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: New Zealand (most of the time)
Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Posts: 4,306
Originally Posted by Chessboxin View Post
I do however, suspect that they got a very sharp deal on the Dulcet because there are some much better NZ Methodes for the same price. I wonder if the "resealable" Zork closure has something to do with it?
Dulcet is a custom product made exclusively for Air NZ, hence the closure is a requirement of that.
sbiddle is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 8:50 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
Dulcet is a custom product made exclusively for Air NZ, hence the closure is a requirement of that.
Interesting, considering I can buy it at my local Glengarry?
Chessboxin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:10 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 2,187
dulcet

adjective
  1. (especially of sound) sweet and soothing (often used ironically).
"Yes i'd love another glass of the Dulcet"
Rebound is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 5:00 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Tauranga or Kuala Lumpur
Programs: AirNZ S*, AirAsia Black
Posts: 14
Look, I enjoy flying PE/BP when I can and sure you expect to be able to 'get what you want' within reason. Without 'rocking the boat' within this community... all of this moaning about not getting a newspaper, or a bottle of water is trivial and entitled. We should be more concerned about the substantial waste that travel (emissions, consumables) create and do our best to minimise waste. Easy solution to these 'inconveniences', bring your reusable water bottle, bring a keep-cup and have it in your bag - very easy solutions to help reduce our already large (and generally increasing (in the OECD)) carbon footprints. Small individual steps make a big difference and AirNZ are (finally) leading the way here on our/their excessive consumption - however, I'm not going to applaud them for it as I expect it from a large, profitable business.
kiwifrequentflyer likes this.
mcgma760 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:25 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Silver
Posts: 1,714
Originally Posted by mcgma760 View Post
Look, I enjoy flying PE/BP when I can and sure you expect to be able to 'get what you want' within reason. Without 'rocking the boat' within this community... all of this moaning about not getting a newspaper, or a bottle of water is trivial and entitled. We should be more concerned about the substantial waste that travel (emissions, consumables) create and do our best to minimise waste. Easy solution to these 'inconveniences', bring your reusable water bottle, bring a keep-cup and have it in your bag - very easy solutions to help reduce our already large (and generally increasing (in the OECD)) carbon footprints. Small individual steps make a big difference and AirNZ are (finally) leading the way here on our/their excessive consumption - however, I'm not going to applaud them for it as I expect it from a large, profitable business.
Do they allow people to use a keep-cup for hot drinks? I can't understand why they wouldn't, but have never seen it before.
brenrox is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 8:33 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: NZ *E
Posts: 126
I guess they could provide a reusable water bottle at the seat that they wash afterwards?

For me part of the allure of traveling in a premium cabin is having less to 'pre-prepare' for a flight -- eg. not having to rush around the airport for snacks, water bottles, absolutely needing my own headphones, etc but rather having the airport as a relatively stress free experience knowing it'll all work out once I'm in the plane.
poopbunny, drajknox and Bub001 like this.
samjnz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:35 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 402
Originally Posted by mcgma760 View Post
Look, I enjoy flying PE/BP when I can and sure you expect to be able to 'get what you want' within reason. Without 'rocking the boat' within this community... all of this moaning about not getting a newspaper, or a bottle of water is trivial and entitled. We should be more concerned about the substantial waste that travel (emissions, consumables) create and do our best to minimise waste. Easy solution to these 'inconveniences', bring your reusable water bottle, bring a keep-cup and have it in your bag - very easy solutions to help reduce our already large (and generally increasing (in the OECD)) carbon footprints. Small individual steps make a big difference and AirNZ are (finally) leading the way here on our/their excessive consumption - however, I'm not going to applaud them for it as I expect it from a large, profitable business.
This is how I feel. I like convenience as much as the next person, but our money doesn't entitle us to pollute the environment just because we can.
kiwifrequentflyer is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 19, 11:19 pm
  #54  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,580
Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
Do they allow people to use a keep-cup for hot drinks? I can't understand why they wouldn't, but have never seen it before.
Its an great idea, but it’s probably going to be the last thing I’m going to grab leaving on an last minute trip.

Maybe they could offer PE/J water bottles that are essay to refill, I’m happy to refill the bottle.
cavemanzk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 12:12 am
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NZ
Posts: 722
Originally Posted by kiwifrequentflyer View Post
This is how I feel. I like convenience as much as the next person, but our money doesn't entitle us to pollute the environment just because we can.
But by spending the money you are causing more pollution. Just stop flying. Always wonder why when they have big global warming conferences they pick most expensive and hard to get places, then to fly in J, any reason they cannot use net or would they miss out out on FF points?
This is all a con, and money pinching rather than environmental. They never can explain why without humans we have had ice ages and thaws.
Reckon in 100 yrs or so we will look back at biggest con trick in history since religion and PC got forced on us.
Eltham likes this.
wayoutwest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:15 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NZ
Programs: NZ*E, QF-WP
Posts: 274
“ They never can explain why without humans we have had ice ages and thaws. Reckon in 100 yrs or so we will look back at biggest con trick in history since religion and PC got forced on us.”

while completely agree this sort of thing from an airline who planning on expanding their network is tokenism at best and cost saving with a nice coat of greenwash at worst. Your statement above is simply wrong - if your “they” is climate scientists or paleobiologists - they absolutely can and have - cyclical climate change over geological time is well explained.

I will avoid the anthropogenic arguments currently entirely given this is FlyerTalk - but that statement is simply wrong.
nancypants likes this.
bce1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:56 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SYD
Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
Posts: 4,980
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
dulcet

adjective
  1. (especially of sound) sweet and soothing (often used ironically).
"Yes i'd love another glass of the Dulcet"
Too good!
mad_atta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 2:35 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by wayoutwest View Post

But by spending the money you are causing more pollution. Just stop flying. Always wonder why when they have big global warming conferences they pick most expensive and hard to get places, then to fly in J, any reason they cannot use net or would they miss out out on FF points?
This is all a con, and money pinching rather than environmental. They never can explain why without humans we have had ice ages and thaws.
Reckon in 100 yrs or so we will look back at biggest con trick in history since religion and PC got forced on us.
Remember Y2K?
Eltham is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:14 pm
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 894
Originally Posted by Eltham View Post


Remember Y2K?
The thing where everyone worked really hard to minimise any public facing issues? Y2K was a really big issue and if the work wasn't done there would have been a bucket load of issues.

Or may be stopping CFCs and seeing the ozone hole get smaller as a result?
nancypants and Erasmus III like this.
nzkarit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:13 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by nzkarit View Post
The thing where everyone worked really hard to minimise any public facing issues? Y2K was a really big issue and if the work wasn't done there would have been a bucket load of issues.

Or may be stopping CFCs and seeing the ozone hole get smaller as a result?
The similarity is that a lot of so-called “experts” are making bucketloads of money out of it and are completely unaccountable. None of us will be around to know.
nancypants likes this.
Eltham is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread