Excess baggage over 3 bags

Old Jul 6, 19, 7:19 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: London, United Kingdom & New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite (*G), CX Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Posts: 137
Excess baggage over 3 bags

Hey
So I'm moving back to NZ from London soon, booked in J and with Elite status on NZ1, then connecting to a regional flight on the Q300.

I enquired about excess luggage above 3 bags with the call centre but got a bit of a vague answer. They said the absolute max they can guarantee is 3 bags, but if loading/cargo is light they could accept more luggage at the airport (subject to paying excess baggage fees at the airport, at the airport rate). She said, that the 777 flights are usually okay, but the Q300 would be hard to guarantee.

I'm fine with the extra cost, still seems cheaper than shipping 1 additional suitcase, however, I'm a bit concerned about the "not guaranteed" to accept my luggage part. Has anyone successfully checked in more than 3 bags?

If it can't go on the Q300, will it just end up on the next flight? If so that's all good, but I just wondered how they could tell in London if there was going to be enough space available on a Q300 on a flight that departs in over 28 hours time...

(half joking as I know this is airline security taboo, but anyone flying NZ1 on 1 Aug out of LHR who wouldn't mind checking an additional bag for me if this doesn't work!! haha)
BZNZ is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 2:40 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,288
Originally Posted by BZNZ
If it can't go on the Q300, will it just end up on the next flight? If so that's all good, but I just wondered how they could tell in London if there was going to be enough space available on a Q300 on a flight that departs in over 28 hours time...

My only experience was WLG-DUD sending one of the lads to Otago on the morning AT7 flight. We paid for an extra bag on a FlexiDate fare, so 3 bags total. However, only 2 of the bags made it with the 3rd bag arriving on the last flight and delivered by courier.

Staff did tell us, as we had to decide which bag would be delayed. We were told that due to the aircraft type (AT7) and the packed flights, the bag could not be carried. What wasn't clear was the basis for deciding whose extra bags were to be delayed. This could have been simply that those checking in later were affected...
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 3:55 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite
Posts: 123
In the past we used to travel with two of us (Elite, and Gold) on Business tickets, with 4 checked 23kg bags, sometimes 5. (equipment for work).

We travelled all over the place like this, with no hassles at all. Until one time at Air NZ Premium check in area in Auckland.

The senior staff member was super rude. Obnoxious, and just plain nasty.
Telling us that 3 bags was the absolute max. No more, never, no exceptions.
(Despite us flying up from Queenstown with our 4 bags each on Air NZ... and trying to go on to Australia business).
Also despite the fast we had done the same thing, many, many times previously.

She went away, and consulted (at my suggestion) and came back with an internal print out stating 3 bags max.

(She was pretty smug and happy with herself then...)

I pulled up some terms on an Air NZ website, that stated something about the cost's involved for bags checked in over the 3, and how it was calculated.

So, she had to concede, and we were allowed to fly on.

And, then of course, flying out of Australia, everything was just fine. No hassles at all. The staff there were lovely.

My advice, find that clause, and print it out.

We dramatically reduced our company travel on Air NZ after that awful experience. Also, when we do fly them, we now only do 3 bags max per person.
becks1 likes this.
ruff00 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 4:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ*GE
Posts: 2,218
Originally Posted by ruff00 View Post
In the past we used to travel with two of us (Elite, and Gold) on Business tickets, with 4 checked 23kg bags, sometimes 5. (equipment for work).

We travelled all over the place like this, with no hassles at all. Until one time at Air NZ Premium check in area in Auckland.

The senior staff member was super rude. Obnoxious, and just plain nasty.
Telling us that 3 bags was the absolute max. No more, never, no exceptions.
(Despite us flying up from Queenstown with our 4 bags each on Air NZ... and trying to go on to Australia business).
Also despite the fast we had done the same thing, many, many times previously.

She went away, and consulted (at my suggestion) and came back with an internal print out stating 3 bags max.

(She was pretty smug and happy with herself then...)

I pulled up some terms on an Air NZ website, that stated something about the cost's involved for bags checked in over the 3, and how it was calculated.

So, she had to concede, and we were allowed to fly on.

And, then of course, flying out of Australia, everything was just fine. No hassles at all. The staff there were lovely.

My advice, find that clause, and print it out.

We dramatically reduced our company travel on Air NZ after that awful experience. Also, when we do fly them, we now only do 3 bags max per person.
I was flying J from AKL-LHR (via LAX) my bag was 26kg, was told i needed to get it to 23kg. I had to put a few items into a backpack and check it in. Entitled to 3 bags though...
Rebound is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 7:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Programs: NZ Koru
Posts: 5,623
Could you in theory purchase an second seat on the Q300 flight?

What happens ens if you have two seats booked under your name on the same flight? Do you get the baggage allowance for the second seat? Would you get the elite allowance for both seats?

No idea if this could be done, but does NZ have anything against your purchasing an second seat.
cavemanzk is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 12:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: Nz*G
Posts: 89
Originally Posted by Rebound View Post
I was flying J from AKL-LHR (via LAX) my bag was 26kg, was told i needed to get it to 23kg. I had to put a few items into a backpack and check it in. Entitled to 3 bags though...
That sort of rubbish makes me so mad. You’ve paid top $ for a great experience and some halfwit decides they want to make life difficult.

Yet they will will happily take bags up to 32kg if you pay the fee.
Lpmnz is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:04 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: AKL
Programs: NZ Elite, QF Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Posts: 1,516
Has anyone had any experience with checking in bags between 23-32kg and paying the overweight charge? Are they quite flexible or very strict on it?
NZ_Flyer is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 1:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Hokitika, New Zealand
Programs: Air New Zealand Silver, Koru
Posts: 70
As a ex NZ regional load controller - very rarely did we have a Q300 maxed out. It does really depend on the route and destination, time of day and time of year. Q300 was one of the more forgiving regional airliners in that demand. Some flights, especially to NSN tend to carry a bit of cargo, so that can limit the amount of bags that can be accepted. However, very many times i have seen customers check in several bags when moving overseas. Sometimes they make the flight, othertimes they are offloaded, and sent on the next. I would suggest ringing back, amazing what talking to the right person can do
HighFlyingKiwi is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 2:44 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: PPQ/WLG/BKK
Programs: TG*G, Accor Gold
Posts: 7,288
Originally Posted by Lpmnz View Post


That sort of rubbish makes me so mad. You’ve paid top $ for a great experience and some halfwit decides they want to make life difficult.

Yet they will will happily take bags up to 32kg if you pay the fee.
Apparently health& Safety regulations mean a bag >23kg and <32 kg is a two-person lift, and so I presume the charges are being transferred to the customer...
Thai-Kiwi is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 6:02 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Auckland
Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Posts: 285
was in the garment industry and use to travel with a suitcase packed with samples- rarely weighed less than 23kg more closer to 26 to 28kg. Never had problem leaving Auckland. Problem was always travelling internally in China with Chinese airlines where they would try to charge us excess baggage.
brucelee is offline  
Old Jul 13, 19, 5:10 pm
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: London, United Kingdom & New Zealand
Programs: NZ Elite (*G), CX Silver, IHG Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver Elite
Posts: 137
Seems like when flying Star Alliance in combination with BP you can take four bags! I swear this is a new policy.

BZNZ is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread