Irate passengers and new check in

Old Jul 2, 19, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ*GE
Irate passengers and new check in

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...oLIF9UVAe0zUGo

I got the memo, been in a number of lounges where it was announced repeatedly last couple of weeks. Should be good for nabbing earlier connections from international arrivals on those early mornings perhaps?
Old Jul 2, 19, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black
This is one of those changes that makes sense - this will cut down no shows, paperwork and help on-time departures. It takes 25 seconds to check-in via the app, kiosk or in a lounge. While rocking up to the gate was convenient this change is for the greater good - well done Air NZ on this one!!

Last edited by Biz_Traveller; Jul 2, 19 at 2:34 pm Reason: Missed a part
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:03 pm

Programs: NZ Elite *G, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I really have no sympathy who thinks rules only apply to others and not to them.

I bet those same people who refuse to checkin and turn up late are the first to complain about OTP.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 2, 19, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ*GE
Originally Posted by Biz_Traveller View Post
This is one of those changes that makes sense - this will cut down no shows, paperwork and help on-time departures. It takes 25 seconds to check-in via the app, kiosk or in a lounge. While rocking up to the gate was convenient this change is for the greater good - well done Air NZ on this one!!
100% agree, it isn't hard to check-in online or via the app.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:36 pm

And also remember visiting Koru does check you in. There is no need to even do this if you will be visiting a lounge.
Old Jul 2, 19, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle View Post
And also remember visiting Koru does check you in. There is no need to even do this if you will be visiting a lounge.
Though assume now have to visit >30min before departure?
Old Jul 2, 19, 6:43 pm
formerly meunger11

Programs: AA Plat, 1WS, CX Silver, HH Gold, Caesars Diamond
From the Article: A woman, who did not want to be named, said ... "It was really frustrating. She told me I had to be here 30 minutes before the flight departure ..."

What year is she in? 1998??
Old Jul 7, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
This would frustrate me if I still lived in a regional centre, not infrequently my OLCI does not work so I often use Gate check in and for domestic in regional airports it seems appropriate to rock up 15-20 minutes before!

I now often travel from AKL-SYD for the day and also have trouble with OLCI, usually going to the lounge or gate to check in because its always busy at premium that time to get an attendant and I want to get through security. I usually arrive 45-60 minutes before but this change will now force me to check in downstairs rather than risk the lounge and miss the 30minutes cut off. I am obviously the minority here but my point is I can sympathize.

As an aside despite multiple attempts with AIRNZ staff on phone or at the airport no one can pin down by my OLCI won't work. Someone suggested it is because I am travelling back and forth on the same day?
Old Jul 7, 19, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JANZFlyer View Post
As an aside despite multiple attempts with AIRNZ staff on phone or at the airport no one can pin down by my OLCI won't work. Someone suggested it is because I am travelling back and forth on the same day?
Have you tried running the OLCI process again after you get the error message? On my recent journey I had to run the OLCI process three times on the outbound ex-AKL before I got a successful checked in message, and twice on the inbound. But it did work in the end.
Old Jul 7, 19, 8:48 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, AF Ivory, FlyBe, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum
I wonder what it means for regional check-in for a domestic flight connecting to international? The rule is 60 minutes, but if I turn up to NPE an hour before the first departure (0515) the terminal isn't meant to be open (it is 0520) and the Koru Club isn't open until 0600. Online works for Australia, but if it is the US it is a different story for obvious reasons. I'm all for rules to sure OTP, but it ought to be different for a small regional airport with no security and few flights compared to WLG or CHC. NZ has traditionally been generous with check-in (When I was Elite flying BP, I was very late for LHR once because the NZ organised limo service arrived half an hour late and I arrived at LHR 40 minutes before departure because an accident meant travel time was 45 minutes longer - but they kindly kept it open with JUST enough time to clear security and get to the gate with the final passengers), but there is no shame in having transparent, strict cut-offs when so many other airlines around the world are ruthless about this.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 1:35 am

Programs: NZ*E, A3*G, Accor Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold, GHA Black,
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
Have you tried running the OLCI process again after you get the error message? On my recent journey I had to run the OLCI process three times on the outbound ex-AKL before I got a successful checked in message, and twice on the inbound. But it did work in the end.
Yup multiple times, other devices. This seems to occur routinely on my AKL-SYD flights.
Old Jul 10, 19, 10:41 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA gold, NZ*G, QF bronze, Former 'bottom-feeder' AC*G
I quite often find I get a message that I need to complete check-in at the airport, but then my boarding pass appears in the app anyway. The system seems a bit flaky like that.
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:23 am

Has anybody booked a flight over the past few days? I'm curious if the e-ticket has been updated yet to reflect the 30 mins check-in for a seat only fare. It seems Air NZ had missed doing this and it still said 20 mins.
Old Jul 11, 19, 2:59 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Ticket issued yesterday

If travelling without bags be at the gate 20 minutes before flight departure. If you've got bag(s) to check, complete check in at kiosk/counter no later than 30 minutes before departure. Your checked baggage allowance, including any free allowance and pre-paid extra baggage, is shown above. There is no checked bag allowance for a Seat fare. The first checked bag is included with Flexi Time and Seat+Bag fares (maximum weight 23kg (50lbs) and linear dimensions (length + width + height) of 158cm (62") per bag). Excess baggage beyond your free and pre-paid allowance will be subject to space availability on the day of travel and will incur additional charges. On board you may carry one bag per person with maximum weight 7kg and maximum total dimensions 118cm plus one small personal item. Air New Zealand Elite, Gold and Star Alliance Gold customers are permitted to carry twopieces weighing a maximum combined total of 14kgs (30lbs), with one of those items weighing up to 10kgs (total dimensions 118cm each), plus one small personal item. Small items may include a handbag, slimline laptop or duty free goods (where permitted). For specific details visit airnewzealand.co.nz.Airpoints Elite, Gold, Star Alliance Gold and Koru Club with checked baggage are entitled to one additional piece without charge when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy on Air New Zealand ticketed and operated flights. This offer is not applicable to fares which do not have a baggage allowance e.g. 'seat only' fares.Prepaid Extra Bag refundsExtra Bag fees are non-refundable unless we change or cancel your flight and we are unable to carry your Extra Bag(s). Visit airnewzealand.co.nz for full Extra Bag terms and conditions.
Old Jul 11, 19, 3:06 am

Pretty major #fail from Air NZ to have still not updated this when they're being so strict at the airport in enforcing the 30 mins.

What does the big headline time say next to the flight number? Is that still 20 mins?

Search this Thread